Once you have set up your POS store and mastered the basics of using the DEAR POS application, you will be ready to explore more sales features such as creating sales quotes, click & collect, on account/layby sales and more. This article assumes you are already familiar with the basics of making, returning and exchanging sales.
You may also be interested in adding these extra features to your POS store:
- Set up Quick Keys: Within your register, you are able to add buttons called Quick Keys which enable you to quickly put through sales of your most popular products.
- Set up a Loyalty program: Let your customers earn currency to spend in your store every time they make a purchase. The aim of a loyalty program is to increase customer retention and provide you with valuable information about your customer base.
- Barcode features:
- Advanced barcodes: By default, DEAR POS is configured to use Product-based barcodes. DEAR POS can also handle advanced barcodes with embedded data, which are ideal for stores that sell products based on weight or price, e.g. butcher shops, delicatessens, and fruit stands.
- Additional/multiple barcodes: You may need to use additional or multiple barcodes for a product. This is not natively supported in DEAR, however, the additional attributes feature can be used to implement multiple scannable barcodes in POS.
NOTE: Sales can be made from a tablet or smartphone using the DEAR - POS (Point of Sale) app. The DEAR - WMS (Warehouse Management Solution) app allows efficient picking and packing using your device and supported barcode scanner. Both apps can be used on the same device; choose Open WMS (in POS) or Open POS (WMS) to conveniently change between the two apps on the same device.
- Setting up POS - Basics (required)
- Using POS - Basics (Make, Exchange, Return Sales) (required)
- Connect printers and barcode scanners (optional)
- Connect a payment processor and payment hardware (required for card payments). DEAR POS supports the following payment systems:
Table of Contents
- Making changes to a sale
- Park a sale and return to it later
- Discard a sale
- Print or email a sales receipt
- Print or email a sales quote
- Earning and using store credit
- On account and layby sales
- Create a service sale
- Click & Collect a sale
- Return a product bought from another sales channel to a POS outlet
Making changes to a sale
This section assumes you are familiar with the basics of making a sale in DEAR POS. It's possible to modify many aspects of a sale, changing a product price or tax rule, adding a discount, and adding optional information.
Change a product price
The user must have the permission Can Change Price in order to change the product price during a sale. Set user permissions for DEAR POS via the DEAR web portal, Integrations → DEAR POS → [selected store] → Users.
Once a product has been added to a sale, it will displayed in the shopping cart to the right of the screen. Clicking the product in the cart will expand the view to show the product price and any applied discount. Clicking the price or discount field will open up a window. Enter the new price and click Price to change the price to the new value.
The new price will then be visible in the shopping cart.
Add a discount to a product or to a whole order
The user must have the permission Can Give Discount in order to change the product price or apply a discount ot an order during a sale. Set user permissions for DEAR POS via the DEAR web portal, Integrations → DEAR POS → [selected store] → Users.
Once a product has been added to a sale, it will displayed in the shopping cart to the right of the screen. Clicking the product in the cart will expand the view to show the product price and any applied discount. Clicking the price or discount field will open up a window. Enter the discount percentage and click Discount to apply the discount and change the price.
The new price and discount will then be visible in the shopping cart.
To add a discount to the whole order, click on Discount in the bottom-right of the sale screen.
This will open a window where you can input the discount value. Discount values can be applied as after a fixed amount (in your base currency) or as a percentage of the whole order. Once you have selected Fixed or Percentage, you will able to see the applied discount on the sales screen and continue on with the sale.
Modify a tax rule or tax amount
During a sale, it is possible to apply a different tax rule to a product or group of products other than the one that has been assigned by default. Click the line displaying the tax to open the tax editing window.
NOTE: Tax rules must be created in DEAR before they can be applied to a product sale in DEAR POS. If you do not see new tax rules after creating them in DEAR, reload application by selecting Menu → Sell → Reload Data.
In the tax editing window, select a tax rule to open a dropdown list of all tax rules and select a new one. Use the Detailed tab to change tax rules for each individual product. Use the Combined tab to change all products with a tax rule for another (e.g. change all products with GST on Income to GST Free Income).
Save to finish the tax modification, see the new tax value and continue the sale as usual.
Add optional information to a sale
DEAR allows you to add a customer, sale rep, note or quick sale (product not listed in inventory) to your sale.
Add a customer
Sales can be associated to a new or existing customer, or alternatively a default customer POS Walk-In can be used for sales without entering customer information. Some sale features such as layby sales, on account sales, and sales quotes are only available when a sale has an associated customer.
- When making a sale, click Add → Customer.
- This will open a new window. Search your existing customers or Add a new customer to add the customer to the sale. If no customer is added, the customer will automatically be set to POS Walk-In.
Add a sales rep
You may wish to keep track of which of your staff processed each sale. This will also allow you to see how much each sales rep has sold in the DEAR POS reports. This can be done by adding the sales representative to a sale with this action.
- When making a sale, click Add → Sales Rep.
- Select a sales rep from the users of this POS store outlet. Click a sales rep name to add the sales rep to the sale.
Add a quick sale (product not in inventory)
You may need to quickly add a product or service to a sale that is not listed in your inventory or POS catalog. This can be done using the Quick Sale function. Quick sales will not affect your stock levels. Items added as a quick sale will appear in the DEAR web portal as a service item.
- When making a sale, click Add → Quick Sale.
- In the window that opens, enter the quick sale details, then Add to add the product to the sale.
Add a note
Add a note to a sale with extra information or to remember details.
- When making a sale, click Add → Note.
- Enter the note, then click Done to add the note to the sale.
Park a sale and return to it later
If you are not able to complete a sale straight away, it can be "parked" and returned to later. This will save all the sale details, products, applied discounts, optional information, etc. for later and allow the user to start a new sale from the register.
During a sale, click Park at the bottom right of the screen to save the sale for later. You may optionally enter a note to remind you of any relevant details.
To return to a parked sale, navigate to Menu → Sell → Parked Sales. This will show all sales which have been parked from this outlet. Click a sale to open it, then complete the sale as usual.
Discard a sale
When you do not wish to continue with a sale, press Discard in the bottom-right to discard the sale and start a new sale.
Print or email a sales receipt
You will automatically get the option of printing/emailing a receipt when you complete a sale, return or exchange. If you need to re-print a receipt for a customer, go to the Menu → Sell → Sales History. Open a sale, then click Print Receipt to print another copy.
Print or email a sales quote
Preparing a quote through DEAR POS allows you to print or email a quote for a customer without continuing with the sale. The user can then later come back to the sale if the customer chooses to proceed.
NOTE: Quotes are not synchronised to the DEAR web portal until the customer proceeds with the sale.
A customer must be added to the sale in order to generate a sale quote. If you have not added a customer to the sale, add one now. This will cause two extra options, Print and Email, to appear on the sales screen.
- Email will open a pop-up with the option to enter the customer's email. Enter a valid email and click Email Quote. The quote will be shown in the body of the email as well as attached as a PDF.
- Print will print the POS sale quote or download the sale quote as a PDF.
The quote template can be set and changed via the DEAR web portal at Integrations → DEAR POS → [selected store] → Setup → POS Template. See Manage Document and Email templates for more information about modifying document templates.
You can then Park the sale and return to it when the customer decides to proceed with the quote.
Earning and using store credit
When returning or exchanging items, the value of the item can be returned directly to the customer or stored as store credit to use against future sales.
NOTE: Store credit will only apply to this POS store, and cannot be used against sale invoices processed through the DEAR web portal. POS store credit is not counted towards DEAR customer credit.
During a return, select Refund and enter the value to add to store credit. Confirm to continue. This will add the value to the customer's store credit.
View how much store credit your customer's have accumulated from the Menu → Customers page.
A customer must be added to a sale in order to use their store credit to pay. On the payment screen, choose Store Credit as the payment method. If the customer has enough store credit to cover the full balance of the sale, this will complete the sale. If the store credit is insufficient, part of the balance will be paid and the customer will need to use another payment method for the remaining balance.
On account and layby sales
On Account sales occur when the payment is not collected at the time of the sale, but the customer can still take the goods with them. For Layby Sales, the goods are reserved for the customer but they cannot be taken until they are fully paid off. The user must have the permission Can sell on account in order to perform an on account sale. Set user permissions for DEAR POS via the DEAR web portal, Integrations → DEAR POS → [selected store] → Users.
The sale is recorded against the customer's account (usually their name or business name). The customer is then able to come back at a later date to pay it off in full, or in instalments over time.
See On Account and layby sales for detailed information o this feature.
Create a service sale
There are two methods of adding service items to a sale in DEAR POS.
- List a service item from your inventory in your DEAR POS catalog.
- Add a service item in DEAR POS.
- Create a service item using Quick Sale, which will then be added to your DEAR inventory.
For the first method, you must first create a service via the DEAR web portal. See Product and Service Management for more information on this process.
- From the DEAR web portal, go to Integrations → DEAR POS → [selected store] → Catalog.
- Search for the service item, and List it on your DEAR POS store.
- You will then be able to search for the service item in the DEAR POS register and add it to the sale as with any other item.
The second method can be carried out entirely via the DEAR POS application.
- Go to Menu → Inventory → Products and select Add New Product.
- Enter the product details, making sure Type is set to Service.
- You will then be able to search for the service item in the DEAR POS register and add it to the sale as with any other item.
The third method can be also be carried out via the DEAR POS application.
- When making a sale, click Add → Quick Sale. and enter the service details.
- Click Add to add the service to the sale.
- Once the sale has been completed, the a service product will be generated in your DEAR inventory for the quick sale product.
Click & Collect a sale
DEAR sales that have been made through the DEAR web portal or other sales channels can be collected from a DEAR POS outlet location.
Sales invoice must be authorised for the sale to be available for click and collect. The sale location in DEAR or the sales channel must match the outlet location in order for the sale to be available for click and collect. The order can be paid in the sales channel or paid at the POS outlet upon collection.
- To see what sales are available for collection, first go to the Menu → Sell → Click & Collect page. Sales can be searched by customer name, customer email, order# and invoice #. The search facility retrieves sales records with the following statuses:
- Ready for Fulfilment: Some or all sale order items are available in the current location.
- Not Ready for Fulfilment: No sale order items are available in the current location.
- If the search does not return any data, a No Invoices found message is displayed on the Click and Collect page.
- Click an order with the status Ready for Fulfilment to open the Sale Fulfilment page. Available items will be displayed in white, while unavailable are displayed in red. Click an available item to add it to the pick list, or click Fulfill All to pick all available items.
- Click Done to continue to the payment screen if the customer has not yet paid and process the payment. If the customer has already paid for the order, the payment screen will not be shown. This will move the sale from the Click & Collect page to the Sales History page, whether or not the order has been totally fulfilled.
- If the order is not totally fulfilled, you will need to go the Menu → Sell → Sales History page when the remaining order items are back in stock. Select the sale and click Fulfill.
- This opens up the Sale Fulfillment page again. Pick all of the remaining items and click Done to close the order.
Return a product bought from another sales channel to a POS outlet
Sales bought through other channels (e.g. Shopify) or via the DEAR web portal can be returned at any POS location. The user must have the permission Can see all sales to perform this action. Set user permissions for DEAR POS via the DEAR web portal, Integrations → DEAR POS → [selected store] → Users.
- Go to Menu → Sell → Sales History and select All Sales view.
- Search for the order number, invoice number or customer name to display sales.
- Click a sale and confirm whether to proceed with a return. This will open up a window with sale details, click Return to continue.
- Select the items to return and click Refund. Confirm the refund amount to complete the return.