An Opportunity is defined as a sales prospect, requested service or product. An opportunity can be a possibility of converting a lead to a possible customer or a winning a new sales opportunity from an existing customer. Opportunities can be converted to sale quotes or sale orders if the lead or customer chooses to proceed.
- Processing a sale (required)
- Getting started with CRM (required)
- Set up Leads (recommended)
- Set up Products (recommended)
Table of Contents:
- Add a new opportunity
- Add products and services to an opportunity
- Authorise an opportunity
- Convert an opportunity to a sales quote
- Mark an opportunity as lost
- View Opportunities
- Attachments, logs, and attributes
- Opportunity actions
Add a new opportunity
An Opportunity is defined as a sales prospect, requested service or product. An opportunity can be a possibility of converting a lead to a possible customer or a winning a new sales opportunity from an existing customer.
New opportunities in DEAR can be created by navigating to the CRM → New → Opportunity page, as well as being created from an existing lead or customer record. View existing opportunities by navigating to CRM → Opportunities.
Enter opportunity details
Opportunity fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. This information will be inherited by the sale quote if opportunity is later converted to a sale quote. Enter the opportunity details into the document header and Save your changes to add the opportunity.
The following opportunity fields are available:
- Name*: Select customer or lead name from the dropdown field. Click + to enter details to add a new lead.
- Contact: Select a lead or customer contact to autofill their contact details to the opportunity. Click + to enter details and add a new lead contact or customer contact.
- Phone: Enter an optional phone number for the lead or customer. If you have selected a lead or customer contact with a phone number, this field will be autofilled.
- Email: Enter an optional phone number for the lead or customer. If you have selected a lead or customer contact with an email, this field will be autofilled.
- Reference: Optional customer or lead reference field.
- Billing Address*: Enter a billing address for the lead or customer.
- Price Tier*: Defines the default price tier that would be applicable for the opportunity. If you have selected a lead or customer, this field will be autofilled.
- Terms*: Defines the payment terms for the lead or customer.
- Sales Representative*: Defines the sales representative in charge of the specific opportunity.
- Account*: Defines a sales account for the opportunity.
- Tax Rule*: Defines the default tax rule for the opportunity.
- Location*: Defines the location of the opportunity (and later the sale).
- Date*: Date of the opportunity.
- Ship to Company: Shipping company. Autofilled from the customer or lead details. Check Ship to different company to enter another value.
- Ship to Contact: Shipping contact. Autofilled from the customer or lead details. Check Ship to different company to enter another value.
- Shipping Address: Shipping contact. Autofilled from the customer or lead details. Check Ship to different company to enter another value.
- Comments: Optional comments field.
Add a new opportunity from a lead
Generate a new opportunity from an existing lead record by navigating to CRM → Leads → [select lead] → Opportunity.
Add a new opportunity from a customer
Generate a new opportunity from an existing customer record by navigating to Sale → Customers → [select customer] → Opportunity.
Add products and services to an opportunity
Once you have entered the opportunity details into the document header, you can add items to your opportunity.
There are two fields where items can be added. In the upper field, you can add stock items to the opportunity. The lower field is for additional charges – any non-inventory or service items (e.g. shipping, handling), which need to be added to the opportunity.
Stock items can be added one by one, added as a family or imported in CSV format. See Processing a sale - Add items to a sale quote for more information if necessary. Once stock and service items have been added to the opportunity, double check the quantity, price, discount and tax rule fields to ensure they are correct. The product and service details will be inherited by the sales quote if the opportunity is won.
NOTE: To view more detailed information about the product, including available stock, hover your cursor over the product record.
Approve and authorise an opportunity
Once you have finished adding products and services to your opportunity, you may click Authorise to change the opportunity's status to Won. Won opportunities can then be converted to sales quote, inheriting the product and lead/customer details from the opportunity.
NOTE: If opportunity approval is enabled, clicking Authorise will then allow the user to Approve or Reject the opportunity. Only users with the DEAR CRM → Task Approval user permission are able to approve opportunities.
Enable/disable opportunity approval
Set whether an opportunity can be authorised straight away, or if it must be approved first. Go to Settings → General Settings → DEAR CRM and enable/disable Enable Opportunity Approval.
Upon opportunity authorisation, this will give the user the option to Approve or Reject the opportunity. Users can open rejected opportunities and select Review to return the opportunity to an open but unauthorised state.
Convert an opportunity to a sales quote
Opportunities that have been authorised/won can be converted to authorised sales quotes. All details related to the sale opportunity should be inherited by the sale quote. This includes customer details and products and additional charges or service information. If the opportunity was created for a lead, the lead will automatically be converted to a customer.
When there are any open tasks for the opportunity attached during the conversion all tasks should be marked as closed by the system. The conversion process cannot be reversed.
Mark an opportunity as lost
Opportunities with any status can be removed from the list by selecting Mark as Lost.
The Opportunities dashboard page provides users an overview of created CRM opportunities. Opportunities can be viewed in list or Kanban board format.
View your opportunities in list format from the List view. List view can be filtered by date range, opportunity status and sales rep using the filters in the toolbar, as well as import opportunities. You can choose to show sales only, opportunities only, or sales and opportunities on this view.
Click on an opportunity to open the opportunity's details screen. In the top-right, click the Refresh icon to load the latest DEAR data and the Settings icon to enable or disable columns in the table.
Opportunities Kanban board
View your opportunities in Kanban board format from the Kanban view. Each status (Draft, In Review, Won, Lost) corresponds to a Kanban board column. Kanban view can be filtered by date range and sales rep using the filters in the toolbar.
Click on an opportunity to open the opportunity's details screen. In the top-right, click the Refresh icon to load the latest DEAR data and the Settings icon to change how opportunities are grouped.
Import large numbers of opportunities via CSV file to save time.
- Navigate to CRM → Opportunities.
- Click Import → Opportunities.
- Download the opportunities CSV template. You can expand the Field Specification for more information about what to enter into each entry.
- Populate the template with the opportunity values, making sure the information matches the column headings. The column headings must not be changed for the import to work.
- Save the CSV Template.
- Browse your files for the populated CSV file and click Upload.
Attachments, logs and attributes
Documents can be attached to the sale opportunity in the Attachments tab.
The final tab is Logs & Attributes, consisting of two sections.
Section 1 covers additional attributes. Using additional attributes, you can add up to 10 custom fields to your sales process. If you have no additional attributes applied to the sales process, this section will not be visible.
Section 2 covers activity logs. All user activities from the creation of the new sale opportunity onwards are logged.
Opportunity actions are available from the top-right of an opportunity's detail screen.
Undo will reverse the opportunity to Draft status if it has already been saved, authorised, or lost.
Void will close the opportunity and change the status to Voided. It will remove all the details entered.
Clone will recreate a new sale opportunity with the same details including lead/customer, and products and services.
Convert to Sale is only available for opportunities with Won status, and will convert the opportunity to an authorised sale quote.