DEAR Point of Sale (POS) and Square integration allows the use of the Square mobile app and card reader for processing credit card payments via the Square Register API within DEAR POS. It is also possible to return funds back to credit cards using the Square Connect API.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Square can work as POS payment processor or as sales channel. But when it is used as payment processor, it also saves processed payments in Square as sale, which DEAR may load separately if both options are activated. Please see Square integration (Sales Channel) for more information about using Square as a sales channel. When used only as a payment processor, integrating with Square does not require an add-on to your base subscription.
Credit card payments via the Square Register API are available only in the DEAR POS mobile application (Android/iOS). Ensure your Square account origin, Square Reader Origin and DEAR operation Country are the same; otherwise, you will not be able to use Square Card Reader.
NOTE: Square only loads customer data from online sales (i.e. from sales through the Square eCommerce channel). POS Square sales do not capture customer data. This is a limitation of the Square API version DEAR is currently using. Updating the API version is a planned area of DEAR development.
- At least one POS register added to your base subscription
- Setting up POS - Basics (required)
- Payment processing platforms do not require a subscription add-on in Cin7 Core, however, if Square is connected as a sales channel an external integration add-on is required.
Table of Contents
- Connect DEAR to Square
- Link DEAR POS Outlet to Square Location
- Processing a credit card payment with Square
Connect DEAR to Square
The Square integration must be connected via the DEAR web portal before it can be used for DEAR POS sales. See Square integration for more detailed information about Square settings in DEAR. More than one Square integration can be connected to your DEAR organisation.
- Navigate to Integrations → Square.
- In the Add a New Shop tab, click Connect to Square. You will then be redirected to the Square Login page.
- Enter your Square credentials, then click Sign In, then Allow.
- In the Setup tab, under the Specify parameters required for processing sales on Square section, select Process Payments from the menu. If you are also looking to import orders from the Square store, select Load Sales & Process Payments.
- Link Square and DEAR Tax rules, and Square payment methods to payment accounts in DEAR.
- Click Save Changes. This makes Square available to all outlets in the organisation.
Link DEAR POS Outlet to a Square Location
You will need to create your business locations in Square and DEAR before continuing to the next steps. Each DEAR POS Outlet must be connected to a Square location. You will need to repeat these steps for every DEAR POS Outlet.
- Navigate to Integration → DEAR POS.
- In the Outlets tab, select the outlet where you will use Square.
- In the Square integration to process returns box, choose a Square integration. The selected Square integration will be used to accept and refund card payments.
- Click Save.
- Install the Square application on your mobile device (search for Square in App Store or Google Play). For more information on setting up Square app, see Square Support.
- Once logged in, select the Square Location to connect to the DEAR Outlet.
- Set up Square Card Reader – follow the Square instructions on how to complete the setup.
- Check the Square application directly, i.e. try to make a test payment from the Square app.
- The Square application has a number of settings that allow you to remove certain features when Square is started from within the DEAR POS application.
- Menu → Settings →Signature and Receipt allow skipping of the receipt screen (as DEAR POS has a built-in receipt system) and skip signature for transactions under $25.
- There is also a setting to allow operation in offline mode.
NOTE: Ensure your Square account origin, Square Reader Origin and DEAR operation Country are the same; otherwise, you will not be able to use Square Card Reader.
- Start and log on to the DEAR POS application, making sure the outlet is an outlet where Square integration has been added.
- Open the Menu → Setup → Payment system setup, select Square Reader and press Save.
Now you are ready to process card payments.
Processing a Credit Card Payment with Square
Once you've set up to process a credit card payment in DEAR POS using Square:
- At the stage of selecting a payment method in DEAR POS, select Sum to Pay or Leave as is.
- Press the Credit Card button. The Square register will be shown automatically.
- After the card payment processing, you will be returned to the DEAR POS application. The current sale will need to be completely paid before you can return to the main Register screen.