As the name suggests, a surcharge is an additional charge or fee or tax added to the cost of services or goods. In DEAR POS, Surcharges can be added to payment methods such as payment by credit card. Surcharges can be configured to be refundable or non-refundable.
Table of Contents
- Adding and managing surcharges
- Applying surcharges to payment methods
- Setting surcharge tax rules
- Applying a surcharge to a sale
- Viewing surcharge sales history
- Refunding surcharge
- Viewing the surcharge report
- Emailing the surcharge report
- Viewing the list of surcharges in the register closure report
Adding and managing surcharges
Surcharges are added and managed from the the integrations module of DEAR.
Adding a surcharge:
- Navigate to Integration → POS → [Store name].
- Click the Surcharge option in the left navigation menu. The Surcharge page will be displayed.
- Click the + New Surcharge button. The Add Surcharge to POS dialogue box will open.
- Enter the name of the surcharge, then select the type of surcharge, which can be one of the following:
- Percentage – This calculates the surcharge as a percentage of the total amount of the invoice in the POS.
- Amount – This adds a fixed amount to the total amount of the invoice in the POS.
- Based on the type of the surcharge selected in Step 4, enter the value of the surcharge to be calculated/added to a sale transaction.
- Specify whether or not the surcharge amount will be refunded on exchange or return of the item by switching the 'Refund Surcharge' toggle button between 'Yes' or 'No' respectively.
- Switch the toggle button to 'Yes' (the 'Active' toggle) to activate the surcharge, then click Add.
Edit a surcharge:
- Click the surcharge to be edited.
- Make the necessary changes and then press Enter.
Delete a surcharge:
- Click the Delete icon to the right of the surcharge to be deleted.
- Click Yes on the confirmation message if you are sure you want to delete the surcharge.
Applying surcharges to payment methods
Once a surcharge has been created it will be available to be applied to your payment methods. Surcharges can be applied to the Credit Card default payment method and to any custom payment methods.
Default payment method mapping is accessed from the Setup tab. Click on the Surcharge field of the payment method to select surcharges from the dropdown menu.
Surcharges for credit card payments or custom payment methods can also be added at the outlet level using outlet payment mapping. Outlet mapping will override default mapping. Click this to open a popup window where you can enter the payment method name and select a surcharge.
NOTE: If the payment method name entered matches a payment method name from the Setup tab (Default methods: Cash, Loyalty, Credit Card, Store credits, Layby; any custom payment methods), it will override the default payment account mapping/surcharge. If the payment method name entered does not match a payment name from the Setup tab, it will be entered as a new custom payment method for this outlet.
Setting surcharge tax rules
A default surcharge tax rule can be set for all outlets from the Setup tab, under UI settings. Select a tax rule from the dropdown menu to apply it to surcharges applied at this outlet.
Surcharge tax rule can also be set Outlet level, which will override the default surcharge tax rule.
Applying a surcharge to a sale
Apply a surcharge or surcharges to a sale:
- Click https://pos.dearsystems.com and log in to DEAR POS.
- Enter the name of the DEAR POS Outlet, then the Login ID and Password.
- Click Sign In.
- Click Sell → Register in the DEAR POS menu.
- Search for the product, then click on the required product to add it to your sale.
- Click Pay. The Sale Summary page will be displayed.
- Click the applicable payment method, e.g. Credit Card. The dialogue box to select the surcharge fee will be displayed.
- Select the surcharge that you want to add to the sale. You may select multiple surcharges, if applicable. The payment will be completed with the surcharge being applied to the sale, and the Sale Summary page will be displayed.
Viewing surcharge sale history
Surcharges applied to each sale can be viewed in your POS sales history.
- Click Sell → Sales History in the DEAR POS menu to display the Sales History page
- Click a sale to see the showing the total surcharge amount that was applied to the sale.
Refunding a surcharge
If a surcharge is refundable (specified while adding a surcharge), the cost of the product along with the surcharge amount is refunded to the customer. If the surcharge is not refundable, only the cost of the product is refunded to the customer without the surcharge amount. You can edit a surcharge rule to make it refundable/nonrefundable at any time.
See Returning a Sale for more information about product returns.
Viewing the Surcharge Report
View the Surcharge Report:
- Click Reports → Surcharge Report in the DEAR POS menu.
- The Surcharge Report page that shows all surcharges charged to customers in the outlet is displayed.
- From the All Outlets list, select the outlet for which you want to view the surcharges.
- Select the range of dates for which you want to view the surcharges. The Surcharge Report for the selected outlet and period will be displayed.
NOTE: To export the Surcharge Report, in .csv format, clickExport.
Emailing Surcharge Report
To email the Surcharge Report:
- Click Email.
- On the Email report window, enter the email address of the report's recipient.
- Enter the email subject, then click Send Email.
Viewing Surcharges in the Register Closure Report
To view the list of surcharges in the Register Closure Report:
- Click Reports -> Register Closure in the DEAR POS menu.
- On the Register Closure page, select the outlet for which you want to view the surcharges from the Outlets dropdown list.
- Select the range of dates for which you want to view the surcharges, then click Refresh. The Register Closure Report for the selected outlet and period will then be displayed.