On Account sales occur when the payment is not collected at the time of the sale, but the customer can still take the goods with them. For Layby Sales, the goods are reserved for the customer but they cannot be taken until they are fully paid off.
The sale is recorded against the customer's account (usually their name or business name). The customer is then able to come back at a later date to pay it off in full, or in instalments over time.
An On-Account Sale can be tracked through sale reports. If a customer has an outstanding balance, this will be shown against their name on DEAR POS.
NOTE: When making a Layby Sale, the sale will not be shown in Sale Reports until payment has been received. Therefore, any reporting for Layby Sales will only become available when the items have been paid off.
Table of Contents
Searching for an On-Account/Layby Sale Record
Customers can make a partial/instalment payment at the time of sale. However, before accepting payment, you may need to search for the sale record first.
To search for a sale record prior to recording a payment:
- Go to your Sales History.
- Find the Sale by searching for the customer’s name or receipt number. Once you find the record, you can record a partial/instalment payment on the sale.
Making a Partial/Instalment Payment
Customers can make a partial/instalment payment either at the time of sale or at a later time.
To make a partial/instalment payment on a sale:
- Before tapping Pay, enter the amount the customer will be paying.
- Select the payment type, e.g. cash and credit card.
- The remaining balance is then displayed on screen. Tap On Account so that the remaining balance will be put on their account.