search-icon

Implemented
Credit note

started a topic over 9 years ago

There are some issues about your credit note.

First, there is only one credit note can be issued to one invoice. Sometimes, we sold several items in one invoice, and clients returned them not in one time but separately in which case we need to issue more than one credit notes to one invoice.

Second, when we issue a credit note to an invoice, Dear system change the original COGS journal transaction in stead of generate a new reverse COGS journal transaction of this credit note in real time. This is not right according to common account rule. For example, we opened an invoice on 20 March 2013, then we received the returned goods and issued a credit note on 20 Apr 2013. DEAR would change the original COGS journal which was generated on 20 March. However the accounting reports ended 31 Mar 2013 could have already been finalized and provided to IRD by 20 Apr 2013, which means our 2013 year end report would be inaccurate and modified by the 20 Apr credit note transaction.

Can you please solve the two issues?

34 people like this idea
  • +1  for improving credit note handling. Now that the Xero API supports overpayment and enhanced credit note functionality it would be great if Dear can implement some improvements here.

• Here's a scenario that we're not sure how to resolve at the moment:

1. Customer returns part of an order. We issue a credit note but don't refund them since they're happy to have credit on their account.
    2. Later they send a bulk payment for several orders, but Dear does not take note of the credit on their account so we're unable to use the bulk payment screen to clear the account.

We can work around this by creating the proper transactions in Xero but it's not ideal.

• Just to add to the previous post: In Xero there is the option to 'allocate credit' to an Invoice from a credit note. This is basically what Dear is missing to help with this scenario. Hope that's useful!

2 people like this
  • We have a similar problem.  A customer has placed 2 orders, 2 days apart.  Due to supplier's lead times the customer has changed their first order resulting in a £450 overpayment.  I cannot allocate this against their second order in DEAR.

Whilst I can contrive a work around to make everything balance is doesn't leave an easy to follow trail for the future.

You need to be able to allocate credits on account against future invoices for customers.

2 people like this
  • Just to add further, we also need to be able to issue more than one credit note against an invoice.  Sometimes on large orders returns can happen over a period of time and we cannot raise a 2nd or even 3rd credit note.

This also needs addressing.

1 person likes this
  • We have the same issue, we need to create multiple credit notes for one sale and cannot.

The customer has returned items on separate occasions but we can only make one credit note per sale.

3 people like this
  • We have just discovered another issue with processing credit notes.

We have a customer who has cancelled a web order as they cannot wait the lead time for the products.  But because DEAR shows the items on back order we cannot raise a credit note - is there a work around for this?

2 people like this
  • Unfortunately we do not have a straight -forward solution at the moment. So can consider completing the order (adding the insufficient items through a stock adjustment with 0.0000001 value) and creating a credit note after that.

• Thanks for the response.

Have you considered having an invoice first / stock first option on the sales order like there is on the purchase order.  This would enable the invoice and the credit to be dealt with and then the drop ship PO could just be voided.

For the vast majority of ecommerce businesses, orders are paid for immediately, not when goods are shipped, and many ecommerce retailers have goods drop shipped, there really needs to be an easy way of dealing with these scenarios.

Thanks

Jayne

3 people like this
  • Any update on credit functionality? I notice the feature is 'planned' now.

This would be a very valuable improvement for all users. Do let us know if you need any more details on feature requirements for this. But I think the discussion above outlines most of the scenarios commonly encountered.

1 person likes this
  • As of today it is still planned, the date still being TBA. Let's get more vote for multiple credit note!!

1 person likes this
  • I had a chat with Tim from the support team and he pointed me to: http://dearsystems.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/1000140016-how-can-i-add-the-second-credit-note-i-can-t-void-a-credit-note-

which seem a better-than-nothing temporary option if you don't have many returns to do.

He also confirmed that multiple returns made in integration such as Vend (https://www.vendhq.com/) will NOT be pulled by Dear.

I don't understand how "big company" handle this problem as it has been around since quite a long time. Do they really always go with the workaround solution since that long!?

One more link to see the next development phase: http://dearsystems.com/inventory-software/development-roadmap/

@SwampIndustries: be sure to add your vote to the idea by clicking the "like this idea" link under the first message.  I think this vote link is really not visible enough...

• If I issue another invoice with 100% discount, it will effected my stock inventory.

• Would be great to issue a credit note with items not sold on the original transactions, this would be an excellent way to deal with exchanges since an invoice cannot have negative stock.

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment

34 people like this idea