Shippit can be connected to DEAR as a Shipping Service. It can be used to estimate shipping rates and print shipping labels.
DEAR Inventory can also be integrated with Shippit from the Shippit app – this follows a different workflow from the one laid out in this article. To connect via Shippit, please follow their instructions. You can only integrate between DEAR and Shippit in one direction at a time.
NOTE: This integration supports sending multiple packages as one shipment.
- Familiarity with the Processing a Sale process (required).
- Familiarity with Products and Product Management (required).
- Shippit account settings currency MUST match with DEAR base currency, set via Settings → General Settings.
- Shippit account settings units MUST match with DEAR default units, set via Settings → General Settings.
- Users will need the following permissions:
- User will need the Shipping Services → Shippit permission enabled to access the integration settings.
- User will need the Sale → Sale Task – Pack view: Sales List & Tasks permission to enter package information and shipping instructions.
- User will need the Sale → Sale Task – Ship view: Sales List & Tasks permission is required to generate the shipping label.
Table of Contents
- Shippit Integration Setup
- Get Shipping Rates
- Label Printing
Shippit Integration Setup
First, you must connect DEAR to Shippit.
To connect Shippit to DEAR:
- Navigate to Integration → Shippit.
- Enter your API Key and click Connect Shippit. You can find your API credentials in the API settings of your Shippit account.
Once connected, you'll be taken to the Shippit Integration Settings page. Here, you can customise some settings and add pre-defined package types. If you make any changes to the default settings, make sure to click Save Changes upon completing them. If more than one shipping service is connected, you can click Set Default to set Shippit as your default service.
Use Tax Rate From
This setting determines which tax rule will be applied to the shipping charge. The default setting is to use the Default Tax Rule for all customers and select from the list of available tax rules (see the Tax Rule for Shipping option below). The other option is to use the Customer tax rule, which is determined at the customer level during Shippit setup.
Tax Rule for Shipping
If the Default Tax Rule is selected in the Use Tax Rate From setting, choose the default rule to be applied here.
Currency in Shippit
Sets currency. This MUST match the currency value set in DEAR via Settings → Reference Books.
Additional Shipping Margin
The additional margin to be added to the shipping cost passed on from Shippit to your customers. The number you enter here can be set as an absolute value or as a percentage in the Margin Value Is setting (see below).
Margin Value is
Sets the Additional Shipping Margin to either an absolute value or as a percentage. For example, if the additional shipping margin is 1 and set as an absolute value, this means that $1 will be added to the shipping costs in Shippit.
Click the Package Type button, enter a name for the package type and enter its dimensions. Weight must be in kilograms and width, height, and length in centimetres. You can enter multiple pre-defined types. The weight, height, length and width fields of the shipping label can be pre-filled by selecting a pre-defined type.
Authority to Leave
Set to Disabled by default. When set to Allowed, all packages shipped through Shippit are allowed to be left at the customer's shipping address even if the customer isn't there to receive it.
Send Notification on Shipping Label Generation
When set to Yes, a notification via email and/or SMS is sent to the customer upon generation of the shipping label.
Set Shippit as your default shipping service. Label printing will be done through Shippit (relevant if multiple shipping services are connected). This option is not visible if Shippit has already been set as your default shipping service.
Disconnect from Shippit
Disconnects Shippit as an available Shipping Service. You will have to connect Shippit to DEAR again if you want to add it back as a shipping service.
Get Shipping Rates
Shippit allows you to estimate how much shipping charges will be based on your shipping location to your customer's shipping address. This information can be used to set pre-determined Shipping Rates in DEAR.
If DEAR receives an error during shipping rate estimate generation, an error message will appear with a downloadable .txt file with the error data. If the error is unexpected, the user will also see an email dialog box with attached error data log file which can be sent to the shipping service provider customer support.
If the final shipping rate in Shippit ends up being a different value than the shipping rate estimate, the cost will flow back to DEAR so DEAR will reflect the correct shipping rates.
Set Up Addresses in DEAR
To correctly calculate shipping rates, you must first define where you are shipping from. Add addresses to all of your locations to make sure your shipping rates are accurate. Only real addresses can be used to calculate shipping rates.
To set up addresses in DEAR:
- Go to Settings → Reference Books → Stock → Locations & Bins.
- To add more locations, click either + or Add more items.
- Enter a name and address for each location, then click Save.
Set Up Product Dimensions
To correctly estimate shipping rates in Shippit, the correct dimensions must be added to the product in DEAR. See Product and Service Management for more information about setting up products.
To set up dimensions in DEAR:
- Go to Inventory → View All → Products.
- Select the product, then at the bottom of the page, select the Dimensions tab.
- Enter the dimensions, then click Save.
Once the setup steps are complete, you can begin to estimate shipping rates on your sales orders.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in DEAR
To get shipping rate estimates in DEAR:
- Create a sale order using Simple Sale or Advanced Sale.
- Add products to the order. Shipping Rates can be estimated at either the Quote or Order stage of the sale process.
- Click Get Shipping Rates.
- Select Shippit from the list.
- On the Select shipping option window, select the carrier and service, then click OK. Carriers and their services are pulled through from the connected carriers for your Shippit account. The rate estimate will be added to the Additional Charges section of the quote/order.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal
To get Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal:
- Go to Integrations → DEAR B2B Portal.
- On the Setup tab, scroll down to Shipping Service and select Shippit from the list, then click Save.
When selecting the shipping method during checkout, the available methods from Shippit will automatically be shown.
DEAR allows printing of shipping labels through Shippit integration (also supported by StarShipIt and ShipStation). If more than one shipping service is connected, you must go to the Shippit integration page and select Set Default to print labels through Shippit.
If DEAR receives an error during shipping label generation, an error message will appear with a downloadable .txt file with the error data. If the error is unexpected, the user will also see an email dialog box with attached error data log file which can be sent to the shipping service provider customer support.
- Use the normal sales process to create a sales order in either Simple Sale or Advanced Sale.
- On the document header, enter the shipping address.
- NOTE: Make sure the shipping address field is correct as it will be used by external integration for address verification.
- The sale process remains the same as far as the Pack tab, which must be authorised.
- From here, click the Shipping Instructions sub-tab. This sub-tab is for shipping information that applies all packages. Click Enter Shipping instructions to open a pop-up window.
- The pop up window is dynamically generated according to the connected shipping service. Enter the information and save your changes.
- This will add the shipping instructions to the display. Click To Package details to continue.
- This sub-tab is for entering package dimensions for all packages within a sale order. Click Enter package details to open a pop-up window. This allows you to consolidate multiple boxes into a single package or shipment.
- The pop up window is dynamically generated according to the connected shipping service. Select which boxes to include and enter the weight and dimensions. Save your changes.
- This will add the shipment to the display. Continue to the Ship tab.
- On the Ship tab, press Copy from Pack to enter the package details and select your Carrier. Click Generate Shipping Label to send package information and shipping instructions to the shipping service provider and generate the shipping label.
- The carrier info, including the tracking number, will then be automatically entered into the Ship tab. The Shipping Label will be generated automatically via PDF. You can also print the label by clicking on a shipment from the list.
NOTE: The template used to print the shipping label is generated on Shippit side. DEAR just downloads the pdf from their API, it is not possible to change the shipping label template through DEAR.
Here are some questions our users have asked about Shippit Intgration. If you are still unable to find an answer to your question, do not hesitate to get in touch with the DEAR Support team.
Q: Can I calculate shipping weights for bulky products in DEAR using volumetric weight so that it is the same as Shippit?
A: If the packing is done from your end before sending it to the shipping agent, you can enter the final volumetric weight within the dimensions of the product. You can define the dimensions together with the packaging and add a weight value. If the shipping agent does the packing for you, you can try adding the volumetric weight to the product dimensions and see if the shipping rates are reflected accurately. To help you compute the volumetric weight, check out the following online tool: http://www.dhl.com/en/tools/volumetric_weight_express.html
Q: I just integrated Shippit with my DEAR account. After completing the integration, on the Sales Overview, I cannot see the credit card icon indicating that the customer has paid for the order. How can we get that icon back?
A: Generally, in DEAR, all fields that appear on a grid are resizable. To get the credit card icon back, just resize the grid. To do this, position your mouse cursor over the column heading where the icons are, then drag the column to the appropriate size.