EasyPost can be connected to DEAR as a shipping service. It can be used to estimate shipping rates and print shipping labels in DEAR.
NOTE: This integration supports sending consolidated shipments for certain carriers only. Please see consolidated shipments for further information.
- Familiarity with the Processing a sale process (required).
- Familiarity with Products and product management (required).
- Users will need the following permissions:
- User will need the Shipping Services → EasyPost permission enabled to access the integration settings.
- User will need the Sale → Sale Task – Pack view: Sales List & Tasks permission to enter package information and shipping instructions.
- User will need the Sale → Sale Task – Ship view: Sales List & Tasks permission is required to generate the shipping label.
Table of Contents
- EasyPost integration setup
- Get shipping rates
- Enter shipping instructions and print shipping labels
EasyPost integration setup
First, you must connect to EasyPost.
- Navigate to Integration → EasyPost.
- Enter your API key and click Connect EasyPost. You can find your API credentials in the API settings of your EasyPost account.
Once connected, you'll be taken to the integration settings page. Here, you can customise some settings. If you make any changes to the default settings, make sure to click Save Changes upon completing them. If more than one shipping service is connected, you can click Set Default to set EasyPost as your default service.
Default ship from address: Mandatory drop-down list that is used to select the default ship from address. If the shipping address is defined in the sale order, it will be passed to EasyPost, but if it is not defined then the default ship from address will be used. This drop-down list will contain all your company addresses with type Shipping stored in the Reference Books (Settings → Reference Books → Company addresses).
Use tax rate from
This setting determines which tax rule will be applied to the shipping charge. The default setting is to use the Default tax rule for all customers and select from the list of available tax rules from the tax rule for shipping field. The other option is to use the Customer tax rule, which is determined at the customer level during EasyPost setup.
Tax rule for shipping
If the Default tax rule is selected in the Use tax rate from setting, choose the default rule to be applied here.
Additional shipping margin
The additional margin to be added to the shipping cost passed on from EasyPost to your customers. The number you enter here can be set as an absolute value or as a percentage in the Margin value is setting (see below).
Margin value is
Sets the additional shipping margin to either an absolute value or as a percentage. For example, if the additional shipping margin is 1 and set as an absolute value, this means that $1 will be added to the shipping costs in EasyPost.
Send notification on shipping label generation
When set to Yes, an internal notification upon generation of a shipping label.
From company on shipping label: Mandatory text field that is auto-filled with your company name by default, but can be changed. This will appear on the shipping label.
From contact on shipping label: Mandatory text field that by default displays first company contact with type Shipping stored in the Reference Books (Settings → Reference Books → Company contacts). This can be changed here and will be displayed on the shipping label.
Return contact phone number: Mandatory text field that allows only 10 digit phone numbers. Do not use your country code. In case the shipment cannot be delivered and the package is returned, this phone number will be used for the customer to contact you.
Customs signer: Optional field for the name of the person who is certifying that the information provided on the customs form is accurate. Use a name of the person in your organization who is responsible for this.
Print shipping labels: At the ship stage, you can use the shipping service to generate a shipping label for the carrier and receive a tracking number. This can be enabled or disabled. By default, this will be disabled. If disabled, the Generate shipping label button will not be displayed in the Ship tab of a sale.
Set EasyPost as your default shipping service. Label printing will be done through EasyPost (relevant if multiple shipping services are connected). This option is not visible if EasyPost has already been set as your default shipping service.
Disconnect from EasyPost
Disconnects EasyPost as an available shipping service.
Get shipping rates
EasyPost allows you to estimate how much shipping charges will be based on your shipping location to your customer's shipping address. This information can be used to set pre-determined shipping rates.
If the system receives an error during shipping rate estimate generation, an error message will appear with a downloadable .txt file with the error data. If the error is unexpected, the user will also see an email dialog box with attached error data log file which can be sent to the shipping service provider customer support.
If the final shipping rate in EasyPost ends up being a different value than the shipping rate estimate, the cost will flow back to DEAR so DEAR will reflect the correct shipping rates.
Set up addresses
To correctly calculate shipping rates, you must first define where you are shipping from. Add addresses to all of your locations to make sure your shipping rates are accurate. Only real addresses can be used to calculate shipping rates.
To set up addresses in DEAR:
- Go to Settings → Reference Books → Stock → Locations & Bins.
- To add more locations, click either + or Add more items.
- Enter a name and address for each location, then click Save.
Set up product dimensions
To correctly estimate shipping rates in EasyPost, the correct dimensions must be added to the product. See Product and service management for more information about setting up products.
To set up dimensions:
- Go to Inventory → View All → Products.
- Select the product, then at the bottom of the page, select the Dimensions tab.
- Enter the dimensions, then click Save.
Once the setup steps are complete, you can begin to estimate shipping rates on your sales orders.
Using shipping rate estimates in DEAR
To get shipping rate estimates:
- Create a sale order using Simple Sale or Advanced Sale.
- Add products to the order. Shipping rates can be estimated at either the Quote or Order stage of the sale process.
- Click Get Shipping Rates.
- Select EasyPost.
- On the Select shipping option window, select the carrier and service, then click OK. Carriers and their services are pulled through from the connected carriers for your EasyPost account. The rate estimate will be added to the additional charges section of the quote/order.
Using shipping rate estimates in B2B Portal
To get shipping rate estimates in B2B Portal:
- Go to Integrations → DEAR B2B Portal.
- On the Setup tab, scroll down to Shipping Service and select EasyPost from the list, then click Save.
When selecting the shipping method during checkout, the available methods from EasyPost will automatically be shown.
Enter shipping instructions and print shipping labels
DEAR allows printing of shipping labels through EasyPost integration (also supported by StarShipIt and ShipStation). If more than one shipping service is connected, you must go to the EasyPost integration page and select Set Default to print labels through EasyPost.
If DEAR receives an error during shipping label generation, an error message will appear with a downloadable .txt file with the error data. If the error is unexpected, the user will also see an email dialog box with attached error data log file which can be sent to the shipping service provider customer support.
- Use the normal sales process to create a sales order in either simple sale or advanced sale.
- On the document header, enter a valid shipping address.
- The sale process remains the same as far as the Pack tab, which must be authorised.
- From here, click the Shipping Instructions sub-tab. This sub-tab is for shipping information that applies all packages. Click Enter Shipping instructions to open a pop-up window.
- The pop up window is dynamically generated according to the connected shipping service. Enter the information and save your changes.
- This will add the shipping instructions to the display. Click To Package details to continue.
- This sub-tab is for entering package dimensions for all packages within a sale order. Click Enter package details to open a pop-up window.
- The pop up window is dynamically generated according to the connected shipping service, whether this is a national or international shipment, and the selected carrier. Select which boxes to include and enter the weight and dimensions. Saveyour changes.
- NOTE: International shipments require additional customs information which you can fill in on the dynamically generated pop-up window. EasyPost uses this information to automatically generate the necessary customs forms for your shipment.
- This will add the shipment to the display. Continue to the Ship tab.
- On the Ship tab, press Copy from Pack to enter the package details and select your Carrier. Click Generate Shipping Label to send package information and shipping instructions to the shipping service provider and generate the shipping label.
- The carrier info, including the tracking number, will then be automatically entered into the Ship tab. The shipping label will be generated automatically via PDF. You can also print the label by clicking on a shipment from the list.
NOTE: The template used to print the shipping label is generated on the EasyPost side. DEAR just downloads the pdf from their API, it is not possible to change the shipping label template through DEAR.
Consolidated shipment error occurs when a user attempts to generate a shipping label for multiple parcels in a single shipment, for a carrier which does not support consolidated shipping.
Consolidated shipping for EasyPost is only available for the following legacy carriers:
If one of these carriers is selected and Generate shipping label is pressed, labels for all the packages in the shipment will be generated as a consolidated shipment, in a single PDF document.
Any other carriers not included in the list above support single parcel shipping only. If multiple parcels are part of a shipment with one of these carriers, you will receive an error upon pressing Generate shipping label. To solve this error, please select a carrier that supports consolidated shipments or convert to an advanced sale, split the order into multiple fulfillments of one parcel, and generate a shipping label for each fulfilment of one parcel.