DEAR Point of Sale (POS) - Getting Started and Information
DEAR Point of Sale (POS) platform provides advanced, multi-directional integration with DEAR Inventory. In general integration works in the following way:
- Customers purchase goods in store via DEAR POS.
- DEAR POS sends sale order details to DEAR Inventory for each sale.
- DEAR Inventory creates pending order in the staging area for each sale. Stock is allocated to the sales immediately.
- Depending on how Point of Sale is configured, pending sales can be converted to DEAR Inventory Sale Orders with stock then written off the inventory account.
- Add New Store
- Outlets and Registries - Multiple Stores
- Quick Keys
- Catalog and Bulk Listing
- Export Payments
Add New Store
Getting Started - add a new store:
- First, navigate to the Integrations Tab and select DEAR Point of Sale
- Click + to add a new POS point or click an existing POS point
Order Consolidation and Consolidation Time (required)
You are able to configure how pending POS Sales are processed in DEAR by using the Consolidation Type feature.
There are two modes:
- No Consolidation
- Daily Consolidation
If No Consolidation option is selected all Walk In/Cash Register sales will be created as individual Sale Orders by DEAR. Daily Consolidation method will pool all POS Sales into a single Sale Order for that day at a specified time.
If using the Daily Consolidation option, a consolidation time can be selected. This is your local time for consolidating all pending sales into a single sale order containing all sales that occurred during the day.
Regardless of the consolidation method selected On Account and Layby sales will always be created in DEAR as individual Sale Orders. This allows you to fulfill the orders as well as attach relevant payments when necessary.
Selects a default customer to be used in POS sale tasks when no customer info available for sale order or when Daily consolidation option is selected. If the customer information exists in the POS sale order then the default customer defined in POS Settings is ignored.
When No Consolidation is selected, the default customer may be used in cases where customer information is not attached to the POS sale order e.g. walk in sales.
When Daily Consolidation is selected, the default customer is used to create a new sale task that will combine all daily sales into a single sale.
Sale Price Tier
This setting determines which Product Price Tier (within DEAR Inventory) will be used when publishing products from DEAR to POS.
Please make sure that prices in the selected Price Tier are tax exclusive if you have tax exclusive pricing setting in POS.
Or check the box (tax inclusive) if your Price Tier pricing is tax inclusive.
Default Sales Tax (required)
When a pending sale is processed in DEAR, a Sale Task is created with order and invoice lines completed. Select the Tax Rule that should be applied to Sales coming from POS. The default Tax Rule can still be overwritten within POS at the outlet level.
Pick, Pack and Ship Processing Mode
This feature allows you to automate some or all of the Pick, Pack and Ship steps of the fulfillment process when a pending sale is converted into a sale order in DEAR.
* Please note if there is not enough stock on hand to pick full quantity of products in sale order, the Pick will remain in Draft State and Pack and Ship will not be completed.
You can control Invoice Status for Sale task created as a result of processing pending sale from POS.
By default, Invoice will not be authorised and will be in Draft state, adjustable and waiting for authorisation. But if this setting is changed to AUTHORISED the invoice will be automatically authorised and pending sync will be created for it to sync with your accounting application.
Loyalty Expense Account
If you're running a loyalty program, you'll need to select where in DEAR to post the loyalty expenses.
If you are not sure where to set this account up in Chart of Accounts, or which codes to use, please contact your accountant.
Till Discrepancy Account (required)
This account will be used to track the differences between the amount expected when you close your register and the amount you count
Petty cash (required)
This Expense Account will be used to post any Petty Cash amounts taken or added into your cash drawer for any small expenses of your store.
Cash In/Out (required)
This account should be a Current Asset and will serve as a Clearing Account when cash is put in or taken out of the till. Amounts coming in/out of this account will be reconciled against bank or wages accounts.
Cash Float Account (required)
This account should be a Current Asset and will be used to post your daily float and any float adjustments that were made during the day.
This account will be used for rounding differences for amounts owed to the nearest specified increment based on your chosen rounding rule.
Pick the cash rounding denomination that the regulations of your country/currency. You have the choice between the nearest 0.01, 0.05, 0.10, 0.50 or 1.00.
You will need to specify your rounding rule. This rule determines how your chosen denomination is rounded in a cash sale. You have the choice between always round down, always round up, round midpoint down or round midpoint up.
Optional Revenue Account
Revenue Account is to be used for all POS sales. Settings at Product/Customer level and Account Mapping will be ignored.
Use as Sales Representative
Fill in this field with the name of Sales Representative to be specified for sales captured by DEAR from POS. Default options are Outlet name and Cashier name.
Receipt Template (required)
Select default Receipt Template which can also be customised under Settings > Document & Email templates
Check the box to turn loyalty on. Loyalty is a feature where your customers earn dollars for every purchase they make to then spend in your store.
Choose the amount a customer needs to spend to earn $1, or currency applicable to your country.
Default User's Password
Set default password which will be used by users to access DEAR POS for the first time when you invite them. Upon accessing POS for the first time they will be prompted to reset their password to their own unique one.
Link POS Payment Methods to Payment Accounts
DEAR captures payments made against sales in POS and is able to automatically add payments to created sale tasks (only in No Consolidation mode). If you want DEAR to create these payments, you need to map an Account from Chart of Accounts that has the ability to receive payments. If this account is not selected, payments will not be created.
Please make sure that you have an account in DEAR for each payment method in POS (Cash, Loyalty, Credit Card, Store Credits, On Account and Lay-by). This way the payment will be automatically allocated to the appropriate account. You cannot use the same account for multiple payment methods.
Disconnecting from POS Store
When you disconnect from your POS store, DEAR removes all associations between DEAR and POS Store, including Log and Product Catalogue.
Please take care when disconnecting from your shop.
Outlets and Registers
For businesses that are operating from multiple locations, setting up additional outlets will help you manage your inventory and track your sales effectively from every location.
You can now add outlets and registers by navigating to the Outlets Tab.
For more information on Account Code descriptions refer to this document and speak to your Financial Advisor.
To add a new location outlet:
- Navigate to Settings > Reference Books > Stock > Locations and Bins
- Click Add Location, name the location and click Save
- Navigate to Integrations and select Point of Sale (DEAR)
- Navigate to the Outlets setup tab
- In the POS column, select the store
- In the Outlets column, select the location to create a new outlet for and click + Outlet
- Fill in the details relating to your outlet
- For Tax-Exclusive Retailers, select which Tax Rate you would like to use for this outlet.
- Once you have entered your Outlet Information press Save.
To run DEAR POS on multiple devices in the same store, you need to add as many registers to the outlet as there are devices you wish to use for POS.
To add a new register to an outlet:
- Navigate to Integrations and then select Point of Sale (DEAR)
- Go to Outlets Tab. In the POS column, select the store
- In the Outlets column, select the outlet you wish to add the registry to
- Click + Registry and fill in all the required information.
- Once all relevant information has been filled click Save
Within your register you are now able to add buttons called Quick keys which enable you to quickly put through sales of your most popular products.
To set up Quick Keys:
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS -> Quick Keys
- Click + Quick Key template
- Enter Quick Key template name and click Save
- Click Add Quick Key button
- Enter Quick Key name
- Once you have given your Quick Key a name, you can start adding products to this key either by Brand, Category or Tag. Save the Quick Key.
- You can add an Image to display on your Quick Key: Browse your files for the image you want then Upload to the Quick Key
- Go to Outlets tab and select a register. Under Register details select a Quick Key template. From now on this Quick Key will be shown in your selected POS register screen.
- The Quick Key will be displayed on your POS register as follows:
- Clicking on the Quick Key will display all Brands, Categories & Tags chosen in the template.
- To return back to viewing all Quick Keys click the Quick Key link at the bottom of the register screen.
To add users to DEAR POS:
- Navigate to the Users tab
- Click + User to give a new user access to POS
- Choose the appropriate role Administrator, Cashier or Manager
- Choose which outlet you want to this user to access then click Add.
- Repeat as many times as required. Changes are saved automatically.
Catalog and Bulk Listing
Inventory Listing must be uploaded to DEAR Inventory to be able to list in on DEAR POS. There are two ways to add your products into DEAR POS:
- Add products one-by-one,
- Use the Bulk Listing function
To add products one-by-one:
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS
- Go to the Catalog tab
- Click on the product that you would like to list and click List on DEAR POS button. Once a product is listed you will see a Status change from Not Listed to Listed
To add products In bulk:
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS
- Navigate to Bulk Listing tab
- Here you can choose to upload in bulk by filtering a Product Category, Product Family or Product Tag
- Once you have chosen which products you want to Bulk Upload click Start.
- A message will appear for you to confirm that you wish to List the chosen products. Click Yes to proceed.
- Once Bulk Listing is completed you will receive a confirmation message.
To access your POS store use the following URL:
Users accessing POS for the first time will need to user a generic password (this would have been set in the Setup Tab)
Upon logging in users will be prompted to reset the password to create their own.
The export payments functionality in DEAR Inventory can be used for sales that were made on account and layby within DEAR POS.
To export a payment to an on account/layby sale:
- Customer makes a purchase in store via on account/layby payment option
- This sale then comes into DEAR Inventory and sits as an open sale.
- When backoffice applies a payment to this invoice this payment will not be exported automatically into DEAR POS.
- Navigate to Integrations > DEAR POS > Select store > Export Payments
- Click Export to POS and confirm below message
- This sale will now also show as closed with a payment applied against it in POS
Here you can see previously processed sales. Clicking the sale order link takes you to the sale module.