The DEAR Point of Sale (POS) platform provides advanced, multi-directional integration with DEAR Inventory. In general, the integration between DEAR POS and DEAR Inventory works in the following manner:
- Customers purchase goods in store via DEAR POS.
- DEAR POS sends the details of each sales order to DEAR Inventory.
- DEAR Inventory creates a pending order in the staging area for each sale. Stock is immediately allocated to sales.
- Depending on how DEAR Point of Sale is configured, pending sales can be converted to DEAR Inventory Sales Orders with stock, then written off from the inventory account.
NOTE: Sales can be made from a tablet or smartphone using the DEAR - POS (Point of Sale) app. The DEAR - WMS (Warehouse Management Solution) app allows efficient picking and packing using your device and supported barcode scanner. Both apps can be used on the same device, choose Open WMS (in POS) or Open POS (WMS) to conveniently change between the two apps on the same device.
Table of Contents
- Add New Store
- Integration Settings
- Outlets and Registries - Multiple Stores
- Quick Keys
- Catalog and Bulk Listing
- Export Payments
- Customer Credits/Loyalty Points
Add New Store
Getting Started - add a new store:
- Navigate to the Integrations Tab and select DEAR Point of Sale.
- On the Integrations page, you may either click the + icon to add a new POS point, or click an existing POS point.
Once a POS point is chosen, proceed to the Setup Tab and fill in all the required fields. See Integration Settings below for an explanation of the fields or skip to to the next section.
Capture POS Sale during Creation or Completion (required)
Depending on your requirements, you can choose to capture POS sales when they are either created or completed.
Order Consolidation and Consolidation Time (required)
You are able to configure how pending POS Sales are processed in DEAR by using the Consolidation Type feature.
There are two modes:
- No Consolidation
- Daily Consolidation
If No Consolidation option is selected, all Walk-In/Cash Register sales will be created as individual Sale Orders by DEAR. Daily Consolidation method will pool all POS Sales into a single Sale Order for the day at a specified time.
If using the Daily Consolidation option, a consolidation time must be selected. This is your local time for consolidating all pending sales into a single sale order containing all sales that occurred during the day.
Regardless of the selected consolidation method, On Account and Layby sales will always be created in DEAR as individual Sale Orders. This allows you to fulfill the orders as well as attach relevant payments when necessary.
Selects a default customer to be used in POS sale tasks when no customer info is available for the sale order or when Daily consolidation option is selected. If the customer information exists in the POS sale order, the default customer defined in POS Settings is ignored.
When No Consolidation is selected, the default customer may be used in cases where customer information is not attached to the POS sale order, e.g. walk-in sales.
When Daily Consolidation is selected, the default customer is used to create a new sale task that will combine all daily sales into a single sale.
Sale Price Tier
This setting determines which Product Price Tier (within DEAR Inventory) will be used when publishing products from DEAR to POS.
Make sure that prices in the selected Price Tier are tax exclusive if you have tax exclusive pricing set up in POS. Toggle the Tax inclusive button to Yes if your Price Tier pricing is tax inclusive.
Default Sales Tax (required)
When a pending sale is processed in DEAR, a Sale Task is created with order and invoice lines completed. Select the Tax Rule that should be applied to Sales coming from POS. The default Tax Rule can still be overwritten within POS at the outlet level.
Zero Tax (required)
Pick, Pack and Ship Processing Mode
This feature allows you to automate some or all of the Pick, Pack and Ship steps of the fulfilment process when a pending sale is converted into a sale order in DEAR.
NOTE: if there is not enough stock on hand to pick the full quantity of products in sale order, the Pick will remain in Draft State and Pack and Ship will not be completed.
You can control Invoice Status for Sale task created as a result of processing pending sale from POS.
By default, Invoice will not be authorised and will be in a Draft state, adjustable and waiting for authorisation. But if this setting is changed to AUTHORISED, the invoice will be automatically authorised and pending sync will be created for it so that it can synchronize with your accounting application.
Till Discrepancy Account (required)
This account will be used to track the differences between the amount expected when you close your register and the amount you count.
Petty cash (required)
This Expense Account will be used to post any Petty Cash amounts taken or added into your cash drawer for any small expenses in your store.
Cash In/Out (required)
This account should be a Current Asset and will serve as a Clearing Account when cash is put in or taken out of the till. Amounts coming in/out of this account will be reconciled against bank or wage accounts.
Cash Float Account (required)
This account should be a Current Asset and will be used to post your daily float and any float adjustments that were made during the day.
This account will be used for rounding differences for amounts owed to the nearest specified increment based on your chosen rounding rule.
Pick the cash rounding denomination based on the regulations of your country/currency. You can choose from the nearest 0.01, 0.05, 0.10, 0.50 or 1.00.
You will need to specify your rounding rule. This rule determines how your chosen denomination is rounded in a cash sale. You can choose from always round down, always round up, round midpoint down or round midpoint up.
Optional Revenue Account
The Revenue Account to be used for all POS sales. If this is set, the settings at Product/Customer level and Account Mapping will be ignored.
Use as Sales Representative
Fill in this field with the name of Sales Representative to be specified for sales captured by DEAR from POS. Default options are Outlet name and Cashier name.
Receipt Template (required)
Select default Receipt Template which can also be customized under Settings -> Document & Email templates.
Toggle the button to Yes to turn loyalty on. Loyalty is a feature where your customers earn dollars for every purchase they make in your store.
Loyalty Expense Account
When Enable Loyalty is toggled to Yes (see above), you'll need to select where in DEAR to post the loyalty expenses. If you are not sure where to set this account up in Chart of Accounts, or which codes to use, contact your accountant.
When Enable Loyalty is toggled to Yes (see above), you need to enter the amount a customer needs to spend to earn $1 in currency applicable to your country.
Default User's Password
Set default password which will be used by users to access DEAR POS for the first time when you invite them. Upon accessing POS for the first time, they will be prompted to reset their password to their own unique one.
This is the default email address for your account.
Toggle this button to Yes to enable a PIN to be set for the POS point, or POS terminals, if you have multiple locations.
PIN code Length
Set the desired length of the PIN code to be set for the POS point/terminals.
Toggle this button to Yes if you are using a Tyro eftPOS terminal in the POS point, or Tyro eftPOS terminals in your outlets, if applicable.
Use Vantiv triPOS
Toggle this button to Yes if you are using Vantiv triPOS payment processing solutions for the POS point.
Toggle this button to Yes if you are accepting Paymentsense card payment solutions for the POS point.
Select the default catalog size that will be applied to the register or all registers, if you have multiple registries and outlets.
Select the default view of the product tiles.
Product availability icon
Toggle this button to Yes to show the product availability icon on the product tile.
Surcharge tax rule
Select a surcharge tax rule to enable credit card surcharges.
Use Customer Price Tier
This setting overwrites Sales Price Tier value for POS. Toggle this button to Yes to apply customer Price Tier from DEAR to sales in DEAR POS. If Use Customer Price Tier is toggled to Yes, then customer price tier will be applied in DEAR POS item sale (if sale is created for the specified customer). If Use Customer Price Tier is toggled to No, the regular price tier will be applied to sales in DEAR POS, even if a customer is selected.
Select the default Closure Register Report template, which can also be customized under Settings>Document & Email Templates.
Link POS Payment Methods to Payment Accounts
DEAR captures payments made against sales in POS and is able to automatically add payments to created sale tasks (only in No Consolidation mode). If you want DEAR to create these payments, you need to map an Account from Chart of Accounts that has the ability to receive payments. If accounts are not mapped, payments will not be created.
Make sure that you have an account in DEAR for each payment method in POS (Cash, Loyalty, Credit Card, Store Credits, On Account and Lay-by) and any additional custom payment methods. This way, the payment will be automatically allocated to the appropriate account. Surcharges can be applied to the Credit Card payment method or any custom payment methods.
Payment method mappings can also be set at the outlet level. If no outlet level payment method mapping is specified, the default payment method mapping is applied.
Disconnecting from POS Store
When you disconnect from your POS store, DEAR removes all associations between DEAR and POS Store, including Log and Product Catalogue. Take care when disconnecting from your shop.
Outlets and Registers
For businesses that are operating from multiple locations, setting up additional outlets will help you manage your inventory and track your sales effectively from every location. You can add outlets and registers by navigating to the Outlets Tab.
For more information on Account Code descriptions, refer to this document and speak to your Financial Advisor.
To add a new location outlet:
- Navigate to Settings -> Reference Books -> Stock -> Locations and Bins.
- Click Add Location, name the location, and click Save.
- Navigate to Integrations and select Point of Sale (DEAR).
- Navigate to the Outlets setup tab.
- In the POS column, select the store.
- In the Outlets column, select the location to create a new outlet for and click + Outlet.
- Fill in the details of your outlet. You can override the payment method mapping from this screen if required.
- For Tax-Exclusive Retailers, select which Tax Rate you would like to use for the outlet.
- Once you complete entering your Outlet Information, press Save.
To run DEAR POS on multiple devices in the same store, you need to add as many registers to the outlet as there are devices you wish to use for POS.
To add a new register to an outlet:
- Navigate to Integrations and then select Point of Sale (DEAR).
- On the Point of Sale page, select a store from the row of stores on top.
- Under the Outlets column, select the store outlet to add the register to from the list.
- Click the + icon under the Outlet Details column.
- Fill in all the required information under the Register Details column.
- Click Save.
Within your register, you are now able to add buttons called Quick Keys which enable you to quickly put through sales of your most popular products.
To set up Quick Keys:
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS -> Quick Keys.
- Click + Quick Key template.
- Enter the Quick Key template name, then click Save.
- Click the + icon under the Quick Key Template Details column.
- Enter a Quick Key name.
- Start adding products to the key by searching for their Brand, Category, or Tag, then clicking the button to the right of the Search box. Added products are displayed to the right.
- Click Save.
- To add an image to display on your Quick Key, browse your files for the image, then Upload to the Quick Key.
- Go to the Outlets tab and select a register. Under Register details, select a Quick Key template. From this point on, this Quick Key will be shown on your selected POS register screen.
Quick Keys as Displayed on a POS Register
Created Quick Keys are displayed on your POS register as follows:
Clicking on the Quick Key will display all Brands, Categories, and Tags chosen in the template.
To return back to viewing all Quick Keys, click the Quick Key link at the bottom of the register screen.
To add users to DEAR POS:
- Navigate to the Users tab.
- Click + User and select the new user to give access to the POS.
- Choose the appropriate role, Administrator, Cashier or Manager, for the user.
- Choose the outlet you want this user to access, then click Add.
- By default, users cannot give discounts nor change prices. Toggle the Can Give Discount and Can Change Price options to Yes if you want the user to have these privileges.
- By default, users can sell on account and can see the dashboard. Toggle Can Sell on Account and Can See Dashboard to No to prevent the user from having these privileges.
- Click Add. Repeat Steps 2-7 to add more users.
Catalog and Bulk Listing
Inventory Listing must be uploaded to DEAR Inventory to be able to list in on DEAR POS. There are two ways to add your products into DEAR POS:
- Add products one-by-one
- Use the Bulk Listing function
To add products one-by-one:
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS.
- Go to the Catalog tab.
- Click on the product that you would like to list and click List on DEAR POS button. Once a product is listed, you will see a Status change from Not Listed to Listed.
To add products In bulk:
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS.
- Navigate to Bulk Listing tab.
- You can choose to upload in bulk by filtering a Product Category, Product Family, or Product Tag.
- Once you have chosen which products you want to Bulk Upload, click Start.
- On the message that appears asking you to confirm the listing of the chosen products, click Yes.
- Once Bulk Listing is completed, you will receive a confirmation message.
Walk-in/Cash register sales made in your POS outlets are immediately viewable as pending orders from the Sales tab on the DEAR POS Integration page.
To Process Sales into a Single Sales Order
If consolidation mode is set to No Consolidation, click the Process button on the top right to immediately process sales into a single sales order. Even if your consolidation mode is set to Daily Consolidation, you can also use this option ahead of the designated consolidation time.
To Refresh the Sales Page
If for some reason walk-in/cash register sales are not immediately shown on DEAR, click the Refresh button.
To Manually Load Sales from POS Outlets
If refreshing the page does not work, click the Load Sales button to display the Load Sales from POS window.
By default, the Load Sales from POS window loads all sales from the current date. You may change this to another date before clicking the Load from POS button. Do not close the window while the process is running, which might take time if there are a large number of sales.
To access your POS store, go to https://pos.dearsystems.com.
Users accessing POS for the first time will need to use a generic password that should have been set in the Setup Tab.
Upon logging in, users will be prompted to reset and create their own password.
The export payments functionality in DEAR Inventory can be used for sales that were made on account and layby within DEAR POS.
To export a payment to an on account/layby sale:
- The customer makes a purchase in-store via on account/layby payment option.
- This sale then goes into DEAR Inventory and sits as an open sale.
- When back office applies a payment to this invoice, this payment will not be exported automatically into DEAR POS.
- Navigate to Integrations -> DEAR POS -> Select store -> Export Payments.
- Click Export to POS, confirm the message, and click Start.
- The sale will now show as closed with a payment applied against it in POS.
- Click on a sale record to display its details in another window.
You can see previously processed sales here. Clicking the sale order link takes you to the sale module.
The Surcharges tab is where you set up surcharges for credit card payments for your outlets.
If you have not previously set up the surcharge tax setting for DEAR POS and surcharges are On for POS, a warning message is displayed on the Surcharges page reminding you to select a surcharge tax rule to enable surcharges.
If you have existing surcharges in DEAR POS, their names, types, values, and statuses (active or inactive) are displayed on the Surcharges page. If the surcharge amount will be refunded to the customer in case of a return or exchange, this will be indicated by check marks on the corresponding Refund surcharge boxes.
To delete an existing surcharge, click the Delete icon to the right of the surcharge.
To add a new surcharge:
- Click the Add Surcharge button.
- On the Add Surcharge to POS window, enter the name of the surcharge.
- Select the surcharge type from the list. There are two possible surcharge types:
- Percentage, which calculates the surcharge as a percent of the total order
- Amount, which is a fixed amount of money that is applied to the total order
- Enter the value of the surcharge.
- To refund the surcharge to the customer in case of a return, check the Refund Surcharge box. Otherwise, leave it blank.
- Toggle the Active setting to Yes, indicating that the surcharge is active.
- Click Add.
Customer Credits / Loyalty Points
From the Customer Credits / Loyalty Points tab, you can update and correct data about customer loyalty points and store credits by importing CSV files with the correct entries into DEAR Inventory. From the tab, you can also export data from DEAR Inventory into a CSV file that you can then save to your computer.
The Customer Credits / Loyalty Points page shows a list of customers and their loyalty points and customer credits. To refresh the data in real-time, click the Refresh button.
To export the data into a CSV file, click the Export button, then save the file on to your computer.
To import data coming from outside the system:
- Click the Import button.
- Download the Customers credits and loyalties template.
- Copy your data into the template file you downloaded in Step 2.
- Upload the file back to DEAR Inventory. The file must be in .csv or .txt format.
NOTE: Make sure NOT to change the column headings in the template file. Otherwise, the system will not be able to import the file.
The reasons for cash in/cash out and petty cash in/out, used for cash management purposes in DEAR POS, are maintained under the Cash Reasons tab on the DEAR POS Integration page in DEAR Inventory.
To enter a reason:
- On DEAR Inventory, navigate to Integration>DEAR POS.
- On the DEAR POS Integration page, click the Cash Reasons tab.
- Click the Reason button, enter the reason, then click Save.
There are nine (9) reports available in DEAR POS. Generally, reports can be emailed, exported into another format (usually PDF or CSV) and saved on your computer, saved as a new report, and printed. For all reports, the following is true:
- POS users with Administrator role can see report information about all locations in DEAR POS.
- POS users with Manager role can see report information about the location that is assigned to them in DEAR POS.
- POS users with Cashier role cannot see report functionality in DEAR POS.
More details on each report are given below.
Register Closure Summary
This report shows a summary for a register after closing, and can be filtered by date, outlet, and register. It is divided into Sales, Payments, Cash Movements, Account Sales, Surcharges, and Notes blocks, with each block showing more detailed information.
This report shows the sales by type and can be filtered by date, outlet, and report type. The report can be customized by adding, removing, or rearranging the columns, and is available in the following report types:
- Summary (this is the default view)
- Product Category
- Supplier (planned, not yet available)
- Sales Representative (planned, not yet available)
This report shows the inventory by type and can be filtered by date, outlet, and report type. The report can be customized by adding, removing, or rearranging the columns, and is available in the following report types:
- Inventory on Hand (this is the default report view)
- Low Stock
- All Inventory Levels
This report shows items from In transit stock transfers from DEAR Inventory and can be filtered by outlet. Search for a specific item to drill down on the report. The following columns are available for set up with the report:
This report shows the sales performance of each product in your inventory and can be filtered by date and outlet. Search for a specific product to drill down on the report. The following columns are available for set up with the report:
- Allocated (shown by default)
- Basket Size
- Basket Value
- Basket Value (including tax)
- Cost of Goods
- Customer Count
- Discount %
- First Sale
- Gross Profit
- Items Sold
- Last Sale
- Return %
- Return Count
- Sales with Customer %
- On Hand
- On Order
This report breaks down your gift card totals for a quick overview of your gift card sales and contains a list of all gift cards sold. Each individual gift card number, the total amount sold and redeemed with each gift card, and the remaining balance for each gift card is displayed on the report. Each gift card is also clickable so that you can drill down on its transaction details. You can search for a specific gift card number from the report page.
Payment Type Summary
This report shows the amount charged to each of your payment types. It can be filtered by date, outlet, register, and user.
Store Credit Report
This report shows your customers with available store credit, and can be filtered by customer or date. It shows the opening balance, total issued, total redeemed, and the closing balance for each customer with available store credit.
This report shows all surcharges charged to customers, with the default All Outlets view showing the outlet, surcharge, rate, order amount, and surcharge amount on the report. You can also view the same information per outlet.