- Item: T-shirts
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
- Colours: Red, White, Blue.
Both the product family and each variation within the product family will have a unique SKU in the system.
- See Product Management (recommended)
- See Processing a Purchase (recommended)
- See Processing a Sale (recommended)
- Create a new Product Family
- Delete a Product Family
- Add Product Families to a Purchase/Sale order
- Documents with Product Families
Create a new Product Family
- Navigate to Inventory -> New -> Product Families, or Inventory -> Product Families and click +.
- Fill in the product family details (see below for more info) in the document header. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
- Enter up to 3 variations in the Option Label fields. The Option Labels will then populate the Options tab below.
- Add Option values in the Options tab.
- Click the Variations tab. Add variations to the product family. Prices, SKUs, Dimensions and Weights for each variation can be edited here.
- Manually add existing products from your inventory to the product family by clicking +Product and searching for the item.
- Let DEAR generate the variations by clicking Generate. SKUs are generated automatically but can be manually edited if necessary.
- Click Save to finish
Product Family Detail Information
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory for creating a new product family. Once the product family details are filled in, click Save to finish.
Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) is the unique identifier of the product. Please note:
- Unacceptable SKU: All numerals, starting with a 0. This will cause problems importing and exporting data into CSV templates. E.g. 01 234 567
- Acceptable SKU: Alphanumeric, including starting with a 0. E.g. 003-Gloves, 103-Gloves
- Acceptable SKU: All numerals, not starting with a 0. E.g. 1 234 567.
Each variation within the product family as well as the Product Family itself needs a unique SKU. The variation SKUs can be assigned automatically by DEAR or manually by the user.
Family Name and Category
Enter a product family name, and either choose a category from the dropdown list or click 'Add New Category'. Only one category can be chosen per product family. To add a product family to more groups of products, use Comma Delimited Tags.
Enter the product family brand.
Costing Methods in DEAR Inventory are based on real accounting methods. You can choose from First In First Out (FIFO), First Expired First Out (FEFO), and Special costing methods, with variations of each. Learn more about Costing Methods.
Choose between No Dropship, Optionally Dropship and Always Dropship for the product. Learn more about Dropshipping.
Dropship Supplier (optional)
Choose a supplier for dropship orders, if you are using this option.
Last Supplier (optional)
Enter the last supplier of this product family. This information will be used to populate purchase orders in DEAR.
Supplier Price (optional)
Enter the supplier of this product family. This information will be used to populate purchase orders in DEAR.
Up to 3 Option Labels can be chosen per product family.
Unit of Measure
Unit of Measure for sales of the product. The default is Item but new units (e.g. Hour, kg, L); can be added by clicking Add New Unit.
Accounts and Tax Rules (optional)
Choose which Accounts COGs, Inventory and Revenue are mapped to in your accounting records. These can also be entered at the purchase/sale level.
Tax rules can be applied for Purchases and Sales. These can also be applied at the customer/supplier level or on individual purchases or sales.
Please note that the product's account mapping has the highest priority. That means that it will override the default account mapping and supplier/customer account mapping on the purchase/sale order. If you do not use special accounts or tax rules for your items we recommend leaving these fields blank. This way default accounts will be used.
Enter a default location for this product family. This will autofill fields on purchases and sales.
Additional Attributes Set (optional)
See here for more information on additional attributes.
Minimum before Reorder and Reorder Quantity (optional)
These affect low stock reorder points for the product. See here for more information about Low Stock Reorder.
Comma Delimited Tags (optional)
Comma Delimited Tags or Product Tags can be used to group products together. You can add as many tags as you require, separated by commas.
You can enter a short and long description for your product family. The long description has an HTML editor for formatting. This information is mandatory when using the eBay or Magento Sales Channels.
DEAR Inventory lets you set up to 10 price points for each individual product or product family depending on your subscription type. Customers are assigned a price tier which sets what price they can buy products for. Price Tier names can be changed by going to Settings -> General Settings. Only static pricing is available for product families, however, you can apply markup pricing to product family variations. Learn more about Pricing and Price Tiers.
Discounts can be applied at the product level. Learn more about discounts. Please note that Product discount can be overridden by Customer/Customer Group Discount.
Delete a Product Family
Product families can be deleted from the product families list screen. Multiple product families can be deleted at once. Deletion first deprecates all product family variants, then deletes deprecated variants if possible, then deletes the family. If a product family variant has already been used in DEAR operations (sale, purchase, production, etc.), it will not be deleted but instead remain deprecated. The product family will be deleted regardless.
Delete product families:
- Navigate to Inventory -> Product Families.
- Check the box to the right of the families you wish to delete.
- Click More Actions -> Delete Product Families. Confirm your decision.
Add Product Families to a Purchase/Sale order
Items from a product family can be added in bulk to a purchase or sale order to save time.
To add a product family to a purchase/sale order:
- Create a new Purchase or new Sale.
- When adding items to the order or quote, click Product Family.
- Enter the Product Family.
- Enter the variations of the product family you wish to add to the order.
- Enter a Quantity.
- Enter the Price/cost.
- Click Add Products.
- Continue with the sale/purchase order as usual.
Documents with Product Families
Product Families can be shown in two ways on your sales and purchase documents. You can choose between showing all variants in list format or matrix format.
List format is the standard sales/purchase document format, showing all variants in a list of order lines:
Matrix format displays the variant quantities in a compact table: