Additional Units of Measure
The additional units of measure function allows more than one unit of measure to be specified for a product or service. For example, if the same bottle of wine is sold as an individual bottle, a case of 6, and a case of 12.
The additional units of Measure functionality can be used in the following situations:
- to automatically disassemble a case into singles if purchased in cases and sold as singles;
- to automatically assemble a case from singles if sold as a case and is kept in stock as singles;
- to do the unit of measure conversion if purchased in kg and needs to be converted to lb etc.
Previously, this would have been done by adding bill of materials to a product and selecting auto-assembly but this new feature provides a more simple way to set up the conversions. Functionally, the two methods are identical.
NOTE: Because of this, a product that already has some additional units of measure linked cannot have a bill of materials with auto-assembly/disassembly selected.
Let's take an example of a single item and a 6-pack.
To create a product with additional units of measure:
First you need to create both single item and 6-pack as 2 separate products with different units of measure. The products should have the same costing method.
It is recommended to have the smallest unit of measure as a base product.
- On the single product, scroll to the Additional Units of Measure tab and click Add more items.
Select the additional product from the drop down menu and set a conversion ratio in the number of base product.
Please note that you can still have a bill of materials assigned to the base product however you can't use auto-assembly or auto-disassembly for the base product.
- When viewing the additional product, you can see that in the bill of materials tab the information has been generated by the system automatically. It has auto-assembly and auto-disassembly enabled and also has a link to the base product.
Setting up products in this way will do the following:
If you purchase a 6-pack it will be automatically disassembled into singles.
Now when you look at the availability report you can see that there are 6 singles on hand but one 6-pack and 6 singles available for sale.
If you sell a 6-pack the system will automatically assemble single items into 6-pack.