Shippit can be connected as a Shipping Service. It can be used to estimate shipping rates and print shipping labels.
DEAR systems can also be integrated with Shippit from the Shippit app – this follows a different workflow to the one laid out in this article. To connect via Shippit, please follow their instructions.
- Familiarity with the Processing a Sale process (necessary)
- Familiarity with Products and Product Management (necessary)
- Weight Units and Currency in DEAR (Settings -> Reference Books) MUST match with StarShipIt account settings.
- Shippit Integration Setup
- Get Shipping Rates
- Label Printing
Shippit Integration Setup
First you must connect DEAR to Shippit.
To connect Shippit to DEAR:
- Navigate to Integration -> Shippit
- Enter your API Key and click Connect Shippit. You can find your API credentials in the API settings of your Shippit account.
Some Shippit Integration settings can be customised:
Use Tax Rate From
This setting determines which tax rule will be applied to the shipping charge. Option 1 is to use Default Tax Rule for all customers and select from the drop down of available tax rules ( Tax Rule for Shipping ), Option 2 is to use Customer tax rule which is determined at customer level during setup.
Tax Rule for Shipping
If Default Tax Rule is selected in the Use Tax Rate From setting, choose the default rule to be applied here.
Currency in Shippit
Set currency. This MUST match the currency value set in DEAR (Settings -> Reference Books).
Weight Units in Shippit
Set Weight Units. This MUST match the weight unit values set in DEAR (Settings -> Reference Books).
Additional Shipping Margin
Choose whether to add an additional margin to the shipping cost passed on from Shippit to your customers. It can be set as an absolute value or as a percentage in the below setting, Margin Value Is.
Set StarShipIt as your default shipping service.
Disconnect from Shippit
Disconnects Shippit as an available Shipping Service
Get Shipping Rates
Shippit allows you to estimate how much shipping charges will be based on the "from shipping" location to customers "shipping address". This information can be used to set pre-determined Shipping Rates in DEAR.
Shippit to calculate rates. These can be skipped if you have done them already.
Setup addresses in DEAR
To correctly calculate shipping rates, you must first define where you are shipping from. Add addresses to all of your locations to make sure your shipping rates are accurate.
To setup addresses in DEAR:
- Go to Settings -> Reference Books -> Stock -> Locations & Bins
- You can add more locations with + or Add more items
- Enter a name and address for each location
- Save your changes
Setup product dimensions
To correctly estimate shipping rates in Shippit, the correct dimensions must be added to the product in DEAR. See Product and Service Management for more information about setting up products.
To setup dimensions in DEAR:
- Go to Inventory -> View All -> Products
- Select the product in question and at the bottom of the page, select the Dimensions tab
- Enter the dimensions and Save the product
Once the setup steps are complete, you can begin to estimate shipping rates on sale orders.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in DEAR
To get shipping rate estimates in DEAR:
- Create a sale order using Simple Sale or Advanced Sale
- Add products to the order
- Click Get Shipping Rates
- Select Shippit from the dropdown menu
- A dialogue box will appear where you will need to select CARRIER and SERVICE type then click OK.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal
To get Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal:
- Go to Integrations -> DEAR B2B Portal
- In the Setup tab scroll down to Shipping Service and select Shippit from the drop down. Click Save
- During CHECKOUT the shipping methods from StarShipIt will be automatically shown for customer's selection in Step 3: Shipping Method
DEAR allows printing of Shipping Labels through the Shippit integration (also supported by StarShipIt and ShipStation).
To print shipping labels:
- Use the normal sales process to create a sale order
- In document header enter the shipping address
- NOTE: Make sure the shipping address field is correct as it will be used by external integration for address verification
- In the Ship tab, click Shipping Label
- Enter all the required fields marked with the red asterisk and click Generate Label
- The carrier info will then be automatically filled in including the tracking number
- The Shipping Label will be generated automatically via PDF. You can also print the label by clicking on Shipping Label, and using the dropdown menu to select which shipment to print the label for.