StarShipIt can be connected to DEAR as a Shipping Service. It can then be used to estimate shipping rates and print shipping labels.
The procedures in this article are only applicable if you will be using DEAR for packing and shipping. In case you will be using StarShipIt for packing and shipping, you will need to develop and integrate in StarShipIt using a DEAR API key. For more information, see Connecting to the DEAR API.
NOTE: StarShipIt can only be used for shipping addresses within Australia and New Zealand.
- Familiarity with the Processing a Sale process (required)
- Familiarity with Products and Product Management (required)
- Weight Units and Currency in DEAR (Settings -> Reference Books) MUST match with StarShipIt account settings.
- StarShipIt Integration Setup
- Getting Shipping Rates
- Label Printing
StarShipIt Integration Setup
First, you must connect DEAR to StarShipIt.
To connect StarShipIt to DEAR:
- Navigate to Integration -> StarShipIt.
- Enter your API Key and click Connect StarShipIt. You should have previously generated your API key in your StarShipIt account, specifically under Settings > API.
Some StarShipIt Integration settings can be customised:
Use Tax Rate From
This setting determines which tax rule will be applied to the shipping charge. Option 1 is to use Default Tax Rule for all customers and select from the list of available tax rules under the Tax Rule for Shipping setting (see below). Option 2 is to use Customer tax rule which is determined at customer level during setup.
Tax Rule for Shipping
If Default Tax Rule is selected in the Use Tax Rate From setting, choose the default rule to be applied here. If Customer tax rule is selected in the Use Tax Rate From setting, this setting will not be displayed at all.
Currency in StarShipIt
This sets the currency to be used in StarShipIt. This MUST match the currency value set under Settings -> Reference Books in DEAR.
Weight Units in StarShipIt
This sets the Weight Units to be used in StarShipIt. This MUST match the weight unit values set under Settings -> Reference Books in DEAR.
Additional Shipping Margin
This optional setting allows an additional margin to the shipping cost passed on from StarShipIt to your customers. It can be set as an absolute value or as a percentage in the Margin Value Is setting (see below).
Click this button to set StarShipIt as your default shipping service.
Disconnect from StarShipIt store
Click this button to disconnect and stop using Shippit as a Shipping Service.
Getting Shipping Rates
StarShipIt allows you to estimate how much shipping charges will be based on the "from shipping" location to customers "shipping address." This information can be used to set predetermined Shipping Rates in DEAR. StarShipIt can only be used for addresses in Australia and New Zealand.
There are some steps to set up before you can start using StarShipIt to calculate rates. These can be skipped if you have done them already.
Setting Up Addresses in DEAR
To correctly calculate shipping rates, you must first define where you are shipping from. Add addresses to all of your locations to make sure your shipping rates are accurate.
To set up addresses in DEAR:
- Go to Settings -> Reference Books -> Stock -> Locations & Bins.
- You can add more locations with + or Add more items.
- Enter a name and address for each location.
- Save your changes.
Setting Up Product Dimensions
To correctly estimate shipping rates in StarShipIt, the correct dimensions must be added to the product in DEAR. See Product and Service Management for more information about setting up products.
To set up dimensions in DEAR:
- Go to Inventory -> View All -> Products.
- Select the product in question and at the bottom of the page, select the Dimensions tab.
- Enter the dimensions and Save the product.
Once the setup steps are complete, you can begin to estimate shipping rates on sale orders.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in DEAR
To get shipping rate estimates in DEAR:
- Create a sale order using Simple Sale or Advanced Sale.
- Add products to the order.
- Click Get Shipping Rates.
- Select StarShipIt from the dropdown menu.
- A dialogue box will appear where you will need to select CARRIER and SERVICE type then click OK.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal
To get shipping rate estimates in B2B Portal:
- Go to Integrations -> DEAR B2B Portal.
- Under the Setup tab, scroll down to Shipping Service and select StarShipIt from the list. Click Save.
- During Checkout, the shipping methods from StarShipIt will be automatically shown for customer's selection under Step 3: Shipping Method.
DEAR allows printing of Shipping Labels through the StarShipIt integration (also supported by Shippit and ShipStation).
To print shipping labels:
- Use the normal sales process to create a sale order.
- On the document header, enter the shipping address.
NOTE: Make sure the shipping address field is correct as it will be used by external integration for address verification.
- Under the Ship tab, click Shipping Label.
- Enter all the required fields (marked with *) and click Generate Label.
- The carrier info, including the tracking number, will then be automatically entered.
- The Shipping Label will be generated automatically via PDF. You can also print the label by clicking on Shipping Label, and selecting the shipment from the list.