If you utilise a third-party fulfilment service such as Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) to ship your orders, you can connect the service to DEAR as an external inventory management location.
DEAR allows your external warehouse/fulfilment centre to be created as a separate location in DEAR as well as allow sales order details to be communicated to your external fulfilment centre. It also has the ability to synchronise inventory quantities once orders are fulfilled and receive shipping/tracking information from the fulfilment service.
- Amazon Seller Pro account (required)
- Familiarity with the Processing a Sale process (required)
Table of Contents
- Preparing your Amazon Seller Pro Account for DEAR Integration
- Connecting to FBA
- Setting Up FBA
- Managing Fulfilment Orders
Preparing your Amazon Seller Pro Account for DEAR Integration
You must have an Amazon Seller Pro account to integrate your Amazon FBA account with DEAR. If you have an Amazon Individual Seller account, you need to upgrade it to an Amazon Seller Pro account before you can integrate with DEAR.
To prepare your Amazon Seller Pro Account for integration:
- Go to the Manage your apps page in Amazon Seller Central and log into your Amazon selling account as the primary user.
- Click the Authorize new developer button and follow the authorization workflow.
- When prompted, authorize DEAR to access your account using the following details:
- Developer Name: DEARInventory
- Developer ID:
- 4103-6238-5902 (For US and Canada)
- 3077-2674-3899 (For Europe)
- 0490-2413-7225 (For Europe)
- Amazon will give you an MWS Auth Token at the end of this procedure. You will use this together with your SellerID to authorize DEAR Inventory in the next steps below.
Connecting to FBA
First, you need to connect your fulfilment centre to DEAR Inventory. If you have an existing Amazon store already integrated to DEAR, see Using an Existing Store. If you do not have an Amazon store set up in DEAR, see Via Manual Setup.
Using an Existing Amazon Store Integration
To connect FBA to DEAR:
- Navigate to Integration -> Fulfillment by Amazon.
- On the Fulfillment by Amazon page, click the + button.
- Under the Use existing Amazon connection tab, select the Amazon store to be connected to DEAR and the warehouse location to be used for external fulfilment from your list of warehouses. If you do not want to use an existing warehouse location, leave the already-selected Create a new location option as-is, then click Connect.
- Navigate to Integration -> Fulfillment by Amazon.
- On the Fulfillment by Amazon page, click the + button.
- Click the Connect manually tab.
- Enter your Amazon Merchant ID (Seller ID), Marketplace ID, and MWS Auth Token, which you should have gotten already following the steps in Preparing Your Amazon Seller Pro Account for DEAR Integration.
- Select an existing warehouse location to be used with the fulfilment service or select Create a new location.
- Click Connect to FBA.
IMPORTANT! DEAR will make an inventory report request to Amazon every hour. The default setting is to send an email notification whenever an inventory report is requested. To avoid getting spammed with Amazon notifications, go to Seller Central>Settings>Notification Preferences in Amazon and disable Open Listings Report.
Setting up FBA
After setting up the connection, you will need to set up FBA in DEAR next.
External Fulfilment Location
If Create a new location was selected, a new location with the name of the FBA account will be created within DEAR. DEAR will try to match the created location with an existing DEAR location of the same name. If the DEAR location contains bins, a new location will be created and named using the following convention: FBA account name + a numerical suffix.
External locations cannot contain bins nor can they be renamed or deleted while the fulfilment service is connected.
You can view the new location by navigating to Settings -> Reference Books -> Locations and Bins. There will be a note next to the location identifying it as being used for external fulfilment.
The FBA Integration allows some options to be customised. These are found by navigating to Integration>FBA and then selecting your Amazon connection.
Price Tier: Select which Price Tier will be used for FBA customers. See Managing Price Tiers for more information.
Fulfilment Order Status: Choose what status the fulfilment order will have upon creation. On Hold means the order will be sent to the fulfilment centre but will not be shipped until a manual action has been taken (for example, if you are waiting on the customer making a payment) but the inventory will be reserved. Shipped means the product will be shipped out as soon as the fulfilment centre has it ready.
Manual/Automatic Order Processing: Choose whether orders are sent directly to the fulfilment centre or if a manual action is required first.
Create Products in DEAR: If you have FBA products that have not yet been imported to DEAR, setting this option to Allowed will create them as Zero Stock on Hand products during the initial stocktake.
Auto-Sync Stock with FBA: When set, this allows auto-synchronisation of stock levels from the FBA account to the DEAR location. The auto-synchronisation can be set at daily, weekly, or monthly intervals. By default, this is set to Never.
Once the external location has been created or mapped, you will need to perform a stocktake at that location to synchronise quantities between the external service and DEAR inventory. The stock take function can be used at any time to synchronise quantities between the two systems.
To synchronise quantities:
- Navigate to Inventory -> Stocktake.
- Select your FBA Location and click Start.
- Click the Sync button at the top of the screen. All the inventory quantities from FBA are then imported into DEAR.
- Non-Zero Stock-on-hand products will have quantities automatically synced.
- Zero Stock-on-hand products will have quantities automatically synced, but a unit cost must be entered manually.
- Complete the stocktake
IMPORTANT! It is best to not use other applications that can affect quantities in your external fulfilment service. If this is not possible, then stocktake/inventory count must be performed as soon as order fulfilment is triggered by the third-party application (this could take anywhere from hours to weeks, depending on your business needs). If quantities are not correctly synchronized, there is a risk of placing orders for items that are out of stock.
To Create a Fulfilment Order
Fulfilment orders are created in the same way as a typical sale, from the Sales module.
To create a fulfilment order:
- Navigate to Sale -> New -> Sale.
- Enter in customer details as shown in Processing a Sale.
- Add items to the sale order and click Authorise.
- Under the Pick tab, make sure that the Location is set to your external fulfilment location.
- In the Pack tab, if you have external fulfilment items and items from your own inventory in the same order, they will be placed in different boxes. You can also select more than one box for your external fulfilment order if required. The external fulfilment service may also decide to use more than one box.
- In the Ship tab, you can choose to copy the order from the Pack tab or manually Add line for external fulfilment. Select your shipping option from the list and click Authorise. A fulfilment order is then created with a link.
- If during setup you select Process fulfilment orders automatically, the order is sent directly to the fulfilment centre. If not, you need to go to the fulfilment order and click Process for it to be sent.
- If during setup you selected Create FBA fulfilment order with status On Hold, you will also have to click Ship on the fulfilment order for the ship to be authorised.
One or all of the Pick, Pack and Ship processes can be automated. To automate the Pick stage, the product's default location must be the external fulfilment location (so you cannot choose at the time of sale to sell the product either from external fulfilment or your own inventory). To do this, go to Settings -> General Settings -> Sales Process Customisation and set Pick, Pack and/or Ship to automatic.
Existing Fulfilment Orders can be viewed by navigating to Sale-> Fulfilment Orders.
There are seven (7) types of DEAR fulfilment order statuses.
Depending on what setup criteria were selected, DEAR Fulfillment orders can be created with status: Queued, On Hold or Shipped.
Queued: This status is assigned to newly created fulfilment orders which have not been sent to (processed by) the Fulfilment Service. While the fulfilment order has this status, it can be voided, edited/saved, or processed.
On Hold: This status shows that fulfilment order has been sent to (processed by) Fulfilment Service. Only applicable if the External fulfilment service supports this status. It means that the external fulfilment service has received the order, validated it (for example, checked if address is valid) and products for this order have been reserved in the warehouse. When the order is in this status, no inventory will be sent. In some cases it could be used to hold the order, pending customer payment, before shipping the goods.
While a fulfilment order is in this status, user can cancel, edit/save or ship it.
Shipped: This status shows that the order was sent to the fulfilment service, which then processed it. The
fulfilment order remains with this status until the customer receives the shipment.
While a fulfilment order is in this status, the user cannot make any changes but is allowed to cancel the order, where fulfilment service allows order cancellation. Usually cancellation is available until fulfilment center staff begin the pick/pack process.
Completed: In situations where Delivery status has not been returned, DEAR considers that an order was completed in the estimated arrival time frame. This could occur if the fulfilment service or carrier does not provide tracking details which are used by DEAR to change order status.
Delivered: This status shows that a fulfilment order was successfully accomplished.
Cancelled: This status shows that fulfilment order was cancelled by user.
Failed: DEAR fulfilment order shows this status only in cases where the external fulfilment service rejects the fulfilment request with an error (for example, if a fulfilment order has the wrong shipping address). This error is saved to fulfilment order log.
Twice a day, DEAR (at 00:51 and 12:51 UTC time) will try to update tracking details and statuses for all fulfilment orders with Shipped status. If any information is updated, an appropriate message is logged.
Independently from DEAR packing lines, the external fulfilment service can separate fulfilment order into several packages. If the external fulfilment service splits one shipment line into multiple packages, multiple tracking numbers will be shown for a single shipment line, separated by commas.
When DEAR is notified that a new tracking number was assigned to a fulfilment order, DEAR stores this information inside the fulfilment order and generates an appropriate message in the fulfilment order log and the sale order log.
If the Sale order was changed after the fulfilment order was processed by the fulfilment service, for example it was undone and the user changed shipping lines and re-authorised the shipment, then the tracking number will be written in the sale order log.
At the moment, returns are not supported.
The catalogue for each external fulfilment location can be viewed in Integration>FBA>Catalog. To synchronize product quantities, click Force Sync.
Clicking an individual product opens a pop-up window with product info. The Product Info window shows more information about the product quantity available and allows the product mapping for that product to be changed if required.