Here are some common error messages you may experience while using DEAR with QBO integration and how to resolve them.
Table of Contents
- Duplication of COGS entries
- Inactive Products in QuickBooks Online appearing in DEAR
- Syncing Sale COGS 'Pending'
- Product Version Errors in QuickBooks
- Sync History in DEAR shows 'Pending' Products
- Sync History in DEAR shows 'Completed but Processing' Entries
Duplication of COGS entries
DEAR does not support quantity or inventory tracking in QBO. If quantity tracking or inventory tracking is turned on in QBO, you may have duplicate COGS entries created in QuickBooks due to both systems creating their own COGS entries for the same transaction and experience errors during synchronisation.
To turn off quantity/inventory tracking in QBO:
- In QBO, navigate to Settings -> Your Company -> Accounts and Settings, then click the Sales tab.
- In Products and Services, ensure Track quantity and price/rate and Track inventory quantity on hand are turned Off.
- Save your changes to finish.
If you have previously turned on inventory tracking for an item and created transactions with an item in QBO, COGS entries will be created by QBO using some previously recorded amount. This is the case even if global settings are set to NOT track item quantity.
To resolve the issue, the old products need to be deleted and new products created. You can replace all the products at once to fix the issue. In DEAR, navigate to Integrations -> QuickBooks -> Replacing Products in QuickBooks from DEAR and click Replace Products. All existing items in QuickBooks will be rewritten with products from DEAR. See Replace Products in QBO from DEAR for more info.
Inactive Products in QuickBooks Online appearing in DEAR
Making a product inactive in QuickBooks Online will NOT deprecate nor delete the product from DEAR. Once you have made a product inactive in QBO, you must manually deprecate the product in DEAR.
To make the product inactive in DEAR:
- In DEAR, go to Inventory -> Products -> View All.
- Change the product status from Active to Deprecated.
- This can also be done in bulk. For more information, see Product Management.
- To delete the products, go to Inventory -> Products and click More -> Delete Deprecated Products.
Syncing Sale COGS 'Pending'
A pending COGS Sale entry won't synchronise.
This is due to the user making a change in the QBO Chart of Accounts without syncing all DEAR transactions first. If you have recently made changes to the Chart of Accounts, email DEAR support at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us how to remap them back to the old account codes in DEAR.
Product Version Errors in QuickBooks
Each Item within QBO has a version which is auto-incremented after the product is updated in QBO. In case a user forgets that an item's data was changed in QBO and the product version was modified, the user will be notified saying that the 'Item version already exists in QBO' during synchronisation between DEAR and QBO.
To resolve product version errors:
- Make sure that priority is given to the product fields in DEAR when editing Item fields in QBO and DEAR.
- If changes have been made to a product in DEAR and the same product name does exist in QBO, the QuickBooks identification for DEAR will automatically sync the product version from DEAR into QBO. In this case, products in DEAR have the priority. However, empty account fields won't be exported to QuickBooks.
- When a new product is created in DEAR and the same product with the same name already exists in QBO, the new product in DEAR will be identified and the DEAR product will be synced through to QBO.
- If there are two (2) DEAR products associated with one (1) QBO product and we change a property in one of the DEAR products, then QBO will receive the changes only for the single product. The second DEAR product will be synced only during the next sync.
- When two (2) DEAR products are associated with one (1) QBO product, change the name of one of the DEAR products and the new product will be synced into QBO and the renamed DEAR product will be associated with a new/existing QBO product.
Sync History in DEAR shows 'Pending' Products
To allow fine-grained control over your transactions, tax rules in DEAR are assigned to individual order lines, products, sales/purchases, and suppliers/customers (for more information, see Tax Rules).
During synchronisation, if a product lacks a tax rule and DEAR cannot find an applicable tax rule in order lines, sales/purchases and suppliers/customers applicable to the product, DEAR will not sync it back to QBO. Instead, it will display the product as 'pending' in sync history. To resolve this issue:
- Go to Inventory -> Products, and search for the 'pending' product.
- Open the product record, then set Product Tax Rule and Sale Tax Rule to the applicable tax rules.
- Click Save.
Sync History in DEAR shows 'Completed but Processing' Entries
This processing error means that DEAR tried to send the data to QuickBooks/Xero but failed to receive a response either due to a server restart or some unexpected error. In this case, the sync status shows the entry as Complete with Processing to prevent it from being exported to QBO/Xero again, resulting in duplicated data. If applicable, you can manually change the status to Pending, allowing the entry to be re-synced in case it is not yet in QBO/Xero.