Backorders involve processing sales that do not have enough stock on hand to be fulfilled. In this case, new stock is ordered from your suppliers to complete the order.
NOTE: If your sales process is set to automatic fulfilment, backordered items will NOT trigger the fulfilment process automatically. Sale orders must be manually authorised once the backordered items have been received.
Table of Contents
Adding Suppliers for a Product
To use the backorder function, you need to add suppliers for the products to be backordered. The Reorder Backorder page will show a warning to inform you which products are missing a supplier. Click the product name to be taken to the product details page and add the supplier.
To attach one or more suppliers to a product:
- Navigate to Inventory -> Products.
- Select the product you wish to add a supplier to.
- Click the Suppliers tab.
- Click + or Add more items.
- Choose a supplier from the dropdown list.
- Enter the Supplier SKU, Product Name and Product URL if desired.
- Enter the product Price from that Supplier.
Managing Split Orders and Backorders
Sales Orders can be authorised even if there is not enough inventory in stock to fulfil them. In this case, an error message will be displayed, and you will be prompted to choose either Split Order or Backorder. Split Order will only appear as an option if there is enough inventory to partially fulfill the order.
Backorders will wait until all the required quantity of items are in stock before fulfilling the sales orders. The outstanding item quantity will be backordered (a purchase order for the remaining items will be created ready to be authorised).
Split Orders will cause a new Sale Order to be automatically generated. The original Sale Order will be amended, so the item quantity reflects the amount in stock. This authorised Sale Order can be fulfilled and invoiced immediately. A second authorised Sale Order with the remaining item quantity will be created. This can be fulfilled and invoiced when the item comes back into stock. The outstanding item quantity will be backordered.
NOTE: If your sales process is set to automatic fulfilment, backordered items will NOT trigger the fulfilment process automatically. Invoice and fulfilment must be manually authorised once the backordered items have been received.
To complete a split order or backorder sale:
- Navigate to Purchase -> Reorder Backordered.
- Choose a supplier from the list. You can also filter products by customer and by product tags, or click Select All.
- Choose one or more products from the list.
- Click Reorder. New Purchase Order tasks are then generated for each supplier (for more information on purchase orders, see Processing a Purchase). When the required stock is received into your inventory, the sale order can be fulfilled and invoiced as usual.