The DEAR Point of Sale (POS) platform provides advanced, multi-directional integration with DEAR Inventory. In general, the integration between DEAR POS and DEAR Inventory works in the following manner:
- Customers purchase goods in store via DEAR POS.
- DEAR POS sends the details of each sales order to DEAR Inventory.
- DEAR Inventory creates a pending order in the staging area for each sale. Stock is immediately allocated to sales.
- Depending on how DEAR Point of Sale is configured, pending sales can be converted to DEAR Inventory Sales Orders with stock, then written off from the inventory account.
Watch the DEAR POS video tutorial or follow the steps below to get started.
NOTE: Sales can be made from a tablet or smartphone using the DEAR - POS (Point of Sale) app. The DEAR - WMS (Warehouse Management Solution) app allows efficient picking and packing using your device and supported barcode scanner. Both apps can be used on the same device; choose Open WMS (in POS) or Open POS (WMS) to conveniently change between the two apps on the same device.
Table of Contents
- Add New Store
- Integration Settings
- Outlets and Registers – Multiple Stores
- Quick Keys
- Catalogue and Bulk Listing
- Accessing your POS Store
- Export Payments
- Customer Credits / Loyalty Points
- Cash payment setup
- Cash Reasons
- Barcode setup
- Sample Barcodes
Add New Store
Getting Started - add a new store:
- Navigate to the Integrations tab and select DEAR Point of Sale.
- On the Integrations page, you may either click the + icon to add a new POS point, or click an existing POS point.
Once a POS point is chosen, proceed to the Setup tab and fill in all the required fields. See Integration Settings below for an explanation of the fields or skip to the next section.
Capture POS Sale during Creation or Completion (required)
Depending on your requirements, you can choose to capture POS sales when they are either created or completed.
Order Consolidation (required)
You are able to configure how pending POS Sales are processed in DEAR by using the Consolidation Type feature.
There are two modes:
- No Consolidation
- Daily Consolidation.
If the No Consolidation option is selected, all Walk-In/Cash Register sales will be created as individual Sale Orders in DEAR.
If the Daily Consolidation method is selected, all POS Sales for the day will be pooled into a single Sale Order at a specified consolidation time.
Regardless of the selected consolidation method, On Account and Layby sales will always be created in DEAR as individual Sale Orders. This allows you to fulfil the orders and attach relevant payments when necessary.
Consolidation Time (required when Order Consolidation = Daily Consolidation)
This is the local time for consolidating all pending sales into a single sale order containing all sales that occurred during the day.
Select a default customer to be used in POS sale tasks when no customer info is available for the sale order or when the Daily consolidation option is selected. If the customer information exists in the POS sale order, the default customer defined in POS Settings is ignored.
When No Consolidation is selected, the default customer may be used in cases where customer information is not attached to the POS sale order, e.g. walk-in sales.
When Daily Consolidation is selected, the default customer is used to create a new sale task that will combine all daily sales into a single sale.
Sale Price Tier
This setting determines which Product Price Tier (within DEAR Inventory) will be used when publishing products from DEAR to POS.
Default Sales Tax (required)
When a pending sale is processed in DEAR, a Sale Task is created with order and invoice lines completed. Select the Tax Rule that should be applied to Sales coming from POS. The default Tax Rule can still be overwritten within POS at the outlet level.
Zero Tax (required)
This can be set to either Auto Look Up or Tax Exempt.
DEAR allows tax rules to be added or deleted at the outlet level during the DEAR POS checkout process. When you add or delete a tax rule during checkout, the selected option in this field is applied to the product instead. However, this tax rule can still be edited or deleted.
Make sure that prices in the selected Price Tier (see above) are tax exclusive if you have tax exclusive pricing set up in POS. Set the Tax inclusive button to Yes if your Price Tier pricing is tax inclusive.
Pick, Pack and Ship Processing Mode
This feature allows you to automate some or all of the Pick, Pack and Ship steps of the fulfilment process when a pending sale is converted into a sale order in DEAR.
NOTE: If there is not enough stock on hand to allow pick of the whole quantity of products in a sale order, the Pick will remain in Draft State, and Pack and Ship will not be completed.
Process Auto-Assembly as
This dropdown field has two options:
- For ordered quantity: Does not check stock quantity. An assembly order is created for the quantity specified in the sale order, regardless of stock availability.
- For minimum quantity required for picking:Assemble stock required to meet the quantity of specific sale order.
- If stock availability is negative, auto-assembly will produce a finished goods quantity which is more than the quantity ordered through sale order.
- If there is already stock available in inventory but not enough to fulfill the sale order quantity, auto-assembly will assemble the difference in quantity needed to meet the sale order requirement.
- If stock availability exceeds sale order quantity, auto-assembly is not triggered.
Stock availability is validated against the sale order location and does not take On Order quantity into account.
You can control the Invoice Status for a Sale task created as a result of processing a pending sale from POS.
By default, the Invoice will not be authorised and will be in a Draft state, adjustable and waiting for authorisation. But if this setting is changed to AUTHORISED, the invoice will be automatically authorised and pending sync will be created for it so that it can synchronise with your accounting application.
Till Discrepancy Account (required)
This account will be used to track the differences between the amount expected when you close your register and the amount you count.
Petty cash (required)
This Expense Account will be used to post any Petty Cash amounts taken or added into your cash drawer for any small expenses in your store.
Cash In/Out (required)
This account should be a Current Asset and will serve as a Clearing Account when cash is put in or taken out of the till. Amounts coming in/out of this account will be reconciled against bank or wage accounts.
Cash Float Account (required)
This account should be a Current Asset and will be used to post your daily float and any float adjustments that were made during the day.
This account will be used for rounding differences for amounts owed to the nearest specified increment based on your chosen rounding rule.
Pick the cash rounding denomination based on the regulations of your country/currency. You can choose from the nearest 0.01, 0.05, 0.10, 0.50 or 1.00.
You will need to specify your rounding rule. This rule determines how your chosen denomination is rounded in a cash sale. You can choose from always round down, always round up, round midpoint down or round midpoint up.
Optional Revenue Account
The Revenue Account to be used for all POS sales. If this is set, the settings at the Product/Customer level and Account Mapping will be ignored.
Use as Sales Representative
Fill in this field with the name of a Sales Representative to be specified for sales captured by DEAR from POS. Default options are Outlet name and Cashier name.
Receipt Template (required)
Select a default Receipt Template which can also be customised under Settings > Document & Email templates.
Toggle the button to Yes to turn loyalty on. Loyalty is a feature where your customers earn dollars for every purchase they make in your store.
Loyalty Expense Account
When Enable Loyalty is toggled to Yes (see above), you'll need to select where in DEAR to post the loyalty expenses. If you are not sure where to set this account up in the Chart of Accounts, or which codes to use, contact your accountant.
When Enable Loyalty is toggled to Yes (see above), you need to enter the amount a customer needs to spend to earn $1 in the currency applicable to your country.
Default User's Password
Set a default password that will be used by users to access DEAR POS for the first time when you invite them. Upon accessing POS for the first time, they will be prompted to reset their password to their own unique one. See Accessing your POS Store for more information.
This is the default email address for your account.
Toggle this button to Yes to enable a PIN to be set for the POS point, or POS terminals, if you have multiple locations.
PIN code Length
Set the desired length of the PIN code to be set for the POS point/terminals.
Toggle this button to Yes if you are using a Tyro eftPOS terminal in the POS point, or Tyro eftPOS terminals in your outlets, if applicable.
Use Vantiv triPOS
Toggle this button to Yes if you are using Vantiv triPOS payment processing solutions for the POS point.
Toggle this button to Yes if you are accepting Paymentsense card payment solutions for the POS point.
Select the default catalogue size that will be applied to the register or all registers, if you have multiple outlets and registers.
Select the default view of the product tiles.
Product availability icon
Toggle this button to Yes to show the product availability icon on the product tile.
Surcharge tax rule
Select a surcharge tax rule to enable credit card surcharges.
Use Customer Price Tier
This setting overwrites the Sales Price Tier value for POS. Toggle this button to Yes to apply the customer Price Tier from DEAR to sales in DEAR POS. If Use Customer Price Tier is toggled to Yes, then the customer price tier will be applied in DEAR POS item sale (if the sale is created for the specified customer). If Use Customer Price Tier is toggled to No, the regular price tier will be applied to sales in DEAR POS, even if a customer is selected.
Use Advanced Barcodes
By default, this is set to Product-based, as this is how DEAR and DEAR POS normally handle product barcodes.
DEAR can also handle advanced barcodes with embedded data, which are ideal for stores that sell products based on weight or price, e.g. butcher shops, delicatessens, and fruit stands. However, before you can use these barcodes, your organisation must have the required label printing weighing scales that can handle them.
If you plan to use these advanced barcodes, you may change the default Product-based barcode setting to any of the following options:
GS1 are standard barcodes used in retail stores worldwide and capable of holding additional product attributes such as weight and price. EAN/UPC barcodes are GS1 barcodes.
If your weighing scales do not use GS1 barcodes, you can use either weight-based or price-based instead.
When you change this setting, the Barcode setup tab on the DEAR POS Integration page is enabled. This tab is where you configure your barcodes. See Barcode setup for more information.
Select the default Closure Register Report template, which can also be customized under Settings > Document & Email Templates.
Link POS Payment Methods to Payment Accounts
DEAR captures payments made against sales in POS and is able to automatically add payments to created sale tasks (only in the No Consolidation mode). If you want DEAR to create these payments, you need to map an account from the Chart of Accounts that has the ability to receive payments. If accounts are not mapped, payments will not be created.
Make sure that you have an account in DEAR for each payment method in POS (Cash, Loyalty, Credit Card, Store Credits, On Account and Lay-by) and any additional custom payment methods. This way, the payment will be automatically allocated to the appropriate account. Surcharges can be applied to the Credit Card payment method or any custom payment methods.
Payment method mappings can also be set at the outlet level. If no outlet level payment method mapping is specified, the default payment method mapping is applied.
Disconnecting from POS Store
When you disconnect from your POS store, DEAR removes all associations between DEAR and POS Store, including Log and Product Catalogue. Take care when disconnecting from your shop.
Outlets and Registers
For businesses that are operating from multiple locations, setting up additional outlets will help manage inventory and track sales effectively from every location. You can add outlets and registers by navigating to the Outlets tab.
If you sell products based on weight and price and you have set the Use Advanced Barcodes option in Integration Settings from the default Product-based to GS1-based, weight-based or price-based, you may need to set up outlet SKUs that are different from your product SKUs in DEAR Inventory. These outlet SKUs are similar to the price lookup codes in your weighing scales. You will need to set these SKUs up for each of your outlets. See Managing Outlet SKUs for more information.
To add a new location outlet:
- Navigate to Settings > Reference Books > Stock > Locations and Bins.
- Click Add Location, name the location, and click Save.
- Navigate to Integrations and select Point of Sale (DEAR).
- Navigate to the Outlets setup tab.
- In the POS column, select the store.
- In the Outlets column, select the location to create a new outlet for and click + Outlet.
- Fill in the details of your outlet. You can override the payment method mapping from this screen if required.
- For Tax-Exclusive Retailers, select which Tax Rate you would like to use for the outlet.
- Once you complete entering your Outlet Information, press Save.
To run DEAR POS on multiple devices in the same store, you need to add as many registers to the outlet as there are devices you wish to use for POS.
To add a new register to an outlet:
- Navigate to Integrations and then select Point of Sale (DEAR).
- On the Point of Sale page, select a store from the row of stores on top.
- Under the Outlets column, select the store outlet to add the register to from the list.
- Click the + icon under the Outlet Details column.
- Fill in all the required information under the Register Details column.
- Click Save.
Within your register, you are now able to add buttons called Quick Keys which enable you to quickly put through sales of your most popular products.
To set up Quick Keys:
- Navigate to Integrations > DEAR POS > Quick Keys.
- Click + Quick Key template.
- Enter the Quick Key template name, then click Save.
- Click the + icon under the Quick Key Template Details column.
- Enter a Quick Key name.
- Start adding products to the key by searching for their Brand, Category, or Tag, then clicking the button to the right of the Search box. Added products are displayed to the right.
- Click Save.
- To add an image to your Quick Key, click Browse, select the image file from your computer, then click Upload.
- Go to the Outlets tab and select a register. Under Register details, select a Quick Key template. From this point on, this Quick Key will be shown on your selected POS register screen.
Quick Keys as Displayed on a POS Register
Created Quick Keys are displayed on your POS register as follows:
Clicking on the Quick Key will display all Brands, Categories, and Tags included in the template.
To return back to viewing all Quick Keys, click the Quick Key link at the bottom of the register screen.
To add users to DEAR POS:
- Navigate to the Users tab.
- Click + User and select the new user to give access to the POS.
- Choose the appropriate role, Administrator, Cashier or Manager, for the user.
- Choose the outlet you want this user to access, then click Add.
- By default, users cannot give discounts nor change prices. Toggle the Can Give Discount and Can Change Price options to Yes if you want the user to have these privileges.
- By default, users can sell on account and can see the dashboard. Toggle Can Sell on Account and Can See Dashboard to No to prevent the user from having these privileges.
- Click Add. Repeat Steps 2-7 to add more users.
Catalogue and Bulk Listing
Inventory Listing must be uploaded to DEAR Inventory to be able to list in on DEAR POS. There are two ways to add your products into DEAR POS:
- add products one-by-one
- use the Bulk Listing function.
To add products one-by-one:
- Navigate to Integrations > DEAR POS.
- Go to the Catalogue tab.
- Click on the product that you would like to list and click the List on DEAR POS button. Once a product is listed, you will see a Status change from Not Listed to Listed.
To add products in bulk:
- Navigate to Integrations > DEAR POS.
- Navigate to the Bulk Listing tab.
- Select products to upload in bulk. You can select products by Product Category, Brand, Family, Product Tag, Listing Status, and Products Listed in (another channel or store) as well as manual search.
NOTE: If you have multiple stores in another sales channel, e.g. two different Magento stores, these will be displayed separately in the list of sales channels from which products can be selected for upload.
- Once you have chosen which products you want to Bulk Upload, click Start.
- On the message that appears asking you to confirm the listing of the chosen products, click Yes.
- Once Bulk Listing is completed, you will receive a confirmation message.
Walk-in/Cash register sales made in your POS outlets are immediately viewable as pending orders from the Sales tab on the DEAR POS Integration page.
To Process Sales into a Single Sales Order
If the consolidation mode is set to No Consolidation, click the Process button on the top right to immediately process sales into a single sales order. Even if your consolidation mode is set to Daily Consolidation, you can also use this option ahead of the designated consolidation time.
To Refresh the Sales Page
If for some reason walk-in/cash register sales are not immediately shown on DEAR, click the Refresh button.
To Manually Load Sales from POS Outlets
If refreshing the page does not work, click the Load Sales button to display the Load Sales from POS window.
By default, the Load Sales from POS window loads all sales from the current date. You may change this to another date before clicking the Load from POS button. Do not close the window while the process is running, which might take time if there are a large number of sales.
Accessing your POS Store
To access your POS store, go to https://pos.dearsystems.com.
Users accessing POS for the first time will need to use the default user's password configured in the Setup tab (see Default User's Password).
Upon logging in, users will be prompted to reset and create their own password.
The export payments functionality in DEAR Inventory can be used for sales that were made on account and layby within DEAR POS.
To export a payment to an on account/layby sale:
- The customer makes a purchase in-store via the on account/layby payment option.
- This sale then goes into DEAR Inventory and sits as an open sale.
- When the back office applies a payment to this invoice, this payment will not be exported automatically into DEAR POS.
- Navigate to Integrations > DEAR POS > Select store > Export Payments.
- Click Export to POS, confirm the message and click Start. Do not close the dialogue box until the process has been completed.
- The sale will now show as closed with a payment applied against it on DEAR POS.
- Click on a sale record to display its details in another window.
You can see previously processed sales here. Clicking the sale order link takes you to the Sale module.
The Surcharges tab is where you set up surcharges for credit card payments for your outlets.
If you have not previously set up the surcharge tax setting for DEAR POS and surcharges are On for POS, a warning message is displayed on the Surcharges page reminding you to select a surcharge tax rule to enable surcharges.
If you have existing surcharges in DEAR POS, their names, types, values, and statuses (active or inactive) are displayed on the Surcharges page. If the surcharge amount is refunded to the customer in case of a return or exchange, this will be indicated by check marks on the corresponding Refund surcharge boxes.
To delete an existing surcharge, click the Delete icon to the right of the surcharge.
To add a new surcharge:
- Click the Add Surcharge button.
- On the Add Surcharge to POS window, enter the name of the surcharge.
- Select the surcharge type from the list. There are two possible surcharge types:
- Percentage, which calculates the surcharge as a percent of the total order
- Amount, which is a fixed amount of money that is applied to the total order.
- Enter the value of the surcharge.
- To refund the surcharge to the customer in case of a return, check the Refund Surcharge box. Otherwise, leave it blank.
- Toggle the Active setting to Yes, indicating that the surcharge is active.
- Click Add.
Customer Credits / Loyalty Points
From the Customer Credits / Loyalty Points tab, you can update and correct data about customer loyalty points and store credits by importing CSV files with the correct entries into DEAR Inventory. From the tab, you can also export data from DEAR Inventory into a CSV file that you can then save to your computer.
The Customer Credits / Loyalty Points page shows a list of customers and their loyalty points and customer credits. To refresh the data in real-time, click the Refresh button.
To export the data into a CSV file, click the Export button, then save the file on to your computer.
To import data coming from outside the system:
- Click the Import button.
- Download the Customers credits and loyalties template.
- Copy your data into the template file you downloaded in Step 2.
- Upload the file back to DEAR Inventory. The file must be in .csv or .txt format.
NOTE: Make sure NOT to change the column headings in the template file. Otherwise, the system will not be able to import the file.
Cash payment setup
You can enter the possible amounts that a customer can give by cash to your cashiers when paying for a sale through this tab. You will need to set up the denominations for each of your outlets. This enables faster cash payments since the DEAR POS app is able to predict the amount the customer will possibly hand over as payment.
To enter an amount:
- On DEAR Inventory, navigate to Integration > DEAR POS.
- On the DEAR POS Integration page, click the Cash payment setup tab.
- Click the Denomination button, enter the amount, then click Save.
The reasons for cash in/cash out and petty cash in/out, used for cash management purposes in DEAR POS, are maintained under the Cash Reasons tab on the DEAR POS Integration page in DEAR Inventory.
To enter a reason:
- On DEAR Inventory, navigate to Integration > DEAR POS.
- On the DEAR POS Integration page, click the Cash Reasons tab.
- Click the Reason button, enter the reason, then click Save.
When setting up DEAR POS Integration, if you change Advanced Barcodes from the default Product-based to GSI-based, Weight-based or Price-based, the Barcode setup tab becomes enabled (see Use Advanced Barcodes). This tab is where you configure your weight- or price-based barcodes, which can contain either 12 or 13 digits, depending on your weighing scales. You may check out some sample barcodes below.
To configure your barcodes:
- On DEAR Inventory, navigate to Integration > DEAR POS.
- On the DEAR POS Integration page, click the Barcode setup tab.
- By default, when adding products to a sale, DEAR POS searches for products using unique, outlet-assigned SKUs. Toggle the Advanced Barcode uses Outlet SKUs button to No to disable this functionality.
- By default, barcodes have a delimiter between the SKU and price. Toggle the Advanced Barcode has Delimiter button to No if this is not true in your case.
- By default, the Advanced Barcode SKU length is set at 5, the Advanced Barcode Value Length is set at 4, and the Advanced Barcode Value Decimal Point is set at 2 (this is displayed for non-GSI weight-based and price-based barcodes only). You may change these values to suit the format of your barcodes, a sample of which will be shown on the page as well.
- Click Save.
Once you have configured your barcodes, you can set up the outlet SKUs for your products in your DEAR POS outlets and registers. For more information, see Managing Outlet SKUs.
To know more about how DEAR POS computes for sale price using advanced barcodes, see Selling in DEAR POS.
Below are some sample barcode formats. More information about barcodes can be found in the following links:
There are nine (9) reports available in DEAR POS. Generally, reports can be emailed, exported into another format (usually PDF or CSV) and saved on your computer, saved as a new report, and printed. For all reports, the following is true:
- POS users with the Administrator role can see report information about all locations in DEAR POS.
- POS users with the Manager role can see report information about the location that is assigned to them in DEAR POS.
- POS users with the Cashier role cannot see report functionality in DEAR POS.
More details on each report are given below.
Register Closure Summary
This report shows a summary for a register after closing and can be filtered by date, outlet, and register. It is divided into Sales, Payments, Cash Movements, Account Sales, Surcharges, and Notes blocks, with each block showing more detailed information.
This report shows the sales by type and can be filtered by date, outlet, and report type. The report can be customised by adding, removing, or rearranging the columns, and is available in the following report types:
- Summary (this is the default view)
- Product Category
- Supplier (planned, not yet available)
- Sales Representative (planned, not yet available)
This report shows the inventory by type and can be filtered by date, outlet, and report type. The report can be customised by adding, removing, or rearranging the columns, and is available in the following report types:
- Inventory on Hand (this is the default report view)
- Low Stock
- All Inventory Levels.
This report shows items from In transit stock transfers from DEAR Inventory and can be filtered by outlet. Search for a specific item to drill down on the report. The following columns are available for setup with the report:
This report shows the sales performance of each product in your inventory and can be filtered by date and outlet. Search for a specific product to drill down on the report. The following columns are available for setup with the report:
- Allocated (shown by default)
- Basket Size
- Basket Value
- Basket Value (including tax)
- Cost of Goods
- Customer Count
- Discount %
- First Sale
- Gross Profit
- Items Sold
- Last Sale
- Return %
- Return Count
- Sales with Customer %
- On Hand
- On Order.
This report breaks down your gift card totals for a quick overview of your gift card sales and contains a list of all gift cards sold. Each individual gift card number, the total amount sold and redeemed with each gift card, and the remaining balance for each gift card is displayed on the report. Each gift card is also clickable so that you can drill down on its transaction details. You can search for a specific gift card number from the report page.
Payment Type Summary
This report shows the amount charged to each of your payment types. It can be filtered by date, outlet, register, and user.
Store Credit Report
This report shows your customers with available store credit and can be filtered by customer or date. It shows the opening balance, total issued, total redeemed, and the closing balance for each customer with available store credit.
This report shows all surcharges charged to customers, with the default All Outlets view showing the outlet, surcharge, rate, order amount, and surcharge amount on the report. You can also view the same information per outlet.