search-icon

Material Requirements Planning Module Improvements

started a topic about 4 years ago

The Material Requirements Planning module is aimed at addressing the needs of the production process. New production features will provide our current customers with powerful, logical manufacturing solutions to add to their inventory solution.

For more information, see Getting Started.

We would like to know your thoughts on how to further improve this module.

- DEAR Team

9 people like this idea
  • Hello Eddie Watson,

Thank you for the clarification.

We've added the ability to allocate the resource partially (for example, 0.5 of individual resource capacity) for the orders. Thus, it will be possible to meet the requirement to have one and the same labor working on 2 orders in parallel. 

I hope this will solve your problem.

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Best regards,

Elena

• I would like see versioning on production BOMs. This would tick a lot of boxes regarding quality control. I think it could be basically a default value in the BOM which is copied into the actual BOM used for the production order, Dear already keeps the BOM per production, a version number would be like an additional attribute. I think it would be handy for quality control, cost analysis and warranty reporting. 

• I would also Like to see this for the reasons stated above.

• I would like to propose the introduction of the capability to have alternative BoM’s. This is where an SKU can be produced on for example 2 different lines. Each line will utilise different resources, and potentially run at different cycle times. By definition this means that the production BoM will be different. Therefore when it comes to scheduling a production order for the SKU the scheduler has to choose which line the production order will be produced on and therefore which production BoM to use.

As far as I understand in the current production BoM set up you cannot create options to choose when you plan the production order. 1 SKU = 1 production BoM. Therefore if you need to run on different lines you have to create a new SKU which is not helpful for planning or data management purposes.

In the attached screen shots I have indicated how this could be delivered both in production BoM creation but also in production order creation.  Note a production order can only use a single production BoM. If you want to run the same SKU on two different lines you will need two production orders

IMG0025.jpg
    (1010 KB)
    IMG0026.jpg
    (833 KB)
  • Hello Tim Richardson and Eddie Watson,

Thank you for your suggestions on BOM versions functionality. We are discussing this functionality at the moment to ensure that we cover all possible options for it like 

- configuration of the BOM versions;

- revisions - storing the data about revisions;

- planning and scheduling.

We'll also highly appreciate if you could share your opinion to help us with improvement of traceability for stock movements in production module. In particular, track the components movements in each step.

Now we offer shop floor stock warehouse units: location and bin. Bin is the smallest unit in shop floor used to locate the components for production. Bin is connected to work center to define from where the consumption of components for this exact operation is done.

We track the movements of components using Transfer Orders: Transfer Order created from warehouse to shop floor to move the components in shop floor. 

But for now, we have a gap in tracking movements of components from shop floor to bin. 

Thus, we consider the following scenarios:

1) Transfer Order is auto created immediately when Production Run is released. When component is in shop floor, we create Transfer Order from shop floor to the bin connected to work center when Production Run is released. In other words, when Production Run is released (created and saved), we auto create Transfer Order with all components required in this Production Run to pick the components to production. A warehouse worker has a list of these Transfer Orders and pick components in shop floor for this Transfer Order.

2) Transfer Order is created when picking process starts. When component is in shop floor, we create some task (Pick request, for example) when Production Run is  released. A warehouse worker has this task and creates a Transfer Order based on this pick list and considering the physical availability or optimal picking process. For example, pick list contains 4 components, but in this exact moment, the warehouse worker can pick only 2 components, so Transfer Order will contain only 2 components. 

3) No any Transfer Order is needed to track the movements of components from shop floor to work center (bin).

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Elena 

• Hi Elena

I think you need to be careful that the system is not forcing too much complexity onto users.

In my current situation we are not using Bins at all. The shop floor is sufficient, and I would not want to be forced into having transfer orders from shop floor to Workcentres, because that would be creating unnecessary additional tasks. So currently Option 3

However in larger production environments where materials are delivered to a central shop floor location and then distributed to multiple production lines (work centres) that are producing different products using common components then this would be critical to manage traceability, especially if you have significant throughputs and as such the potential of using multiple Lot Codes for the same component on a given day. In this scenario the picker should be able to choose between option 1 & 2 i.e. auto pick or manual pick - which I understand is the current functionality for a warehouse to shop floor transfer.

I would also suggest that the transfer / picking process (Warehouse - shop floor and Shopfloor - Bin (if required)) should be the same. You do not want to introduce a process that requires additional training. 

Hope this helps

• Hi Elena, 
    I think Eddie's answer is very good, the different scenarios support legitimate requirements at different businesses. 

I think option (3) is good to offer because we are looking at businesses which have for a few years used the Assembly module, being the only choice until recently. I think it wise to make the onboarding to the new manufacturing module as gentle as possible. However, the control and warehouse efficiency advantages of (1) and (2) will be appealing to some businesses, either immediately or as they grow into the new module. 

• Hello Tim Richardson and Eddie Watson,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments - they are really helpful.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hello Matt Batchelor,

Please let me update you on the co-manufacturing functionality timelines. 

We plan to release it in the middle of July.

Best regards,

Elena

1 person likes this
  • Hi Elena,

Any news? Is that co-manufacturing workflow arriving in the next feature update, or the one after?

• It has been a month with no updates. Come on what the hell are you guys doing?
    Is this a way of enticing customers and leave them hanging?

• Hello Matt Batchelor, Jane Rose,

Hope you are doing great.

I'm sorry for the delay with the update. 

At the moment we are testing the co-manufacturing functionality and if everything goes according to our plans, we'll release it in the nearest future.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hi - is there any progress on implementing the Stock On Hand check when using Nested Production Orders ? 

It's a critical problem for us as we run standalone sub-assemblies to use up raw materials and speed up final assembly so when a sub assembly is nested in a production order the system needs to check availability before generating the additional (nested) production order.   If it doesn't check availability, it tells us to build too many of each sub assembly - or worse, it generates a new production order for the sub assembly that isn't required as we have available stock on the shelf.

It just requires an additional check before determining requirements and therefore Production Orders to generate. It just needs to look at available stock in the same location and remove that from the quantity required. If the calc is less than zero (ie more is already in stock than is required for the production order) then no new Production Order is generated.

• Hello John,

Calculation for quantity needed for nested production orders is subjected to the General Settings -> Production Process Customization:

https://support.dearsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/1000134073-general-settings#Production

The setting allows the calculation for nested orders quantity up to stock level:

this means that stock level (minimum before reorder + reorder quantity) is considered in calculation when quantity required and maintain minimum stock level quantity option is selected 

or to cover the existing shortage in stock:

this means that stock level is not considered in calculation and the quantity is calculated only on what is Available and On Order.

These settings are applied when Production Order is created manually or from Sales Order. 

When Production Order is created manually:

Production Order is created as Draft Order - quantity for nested Production Orders is calculated as Quantity to Produce in Production Order x Quantity of nested product in Production BOM

Production Order is created as Planned - quantity for nested Production Orders is calculated as Quantity to Produce  in Production Order x Quantity of nested product in Production BOM

Production Order is created as Released - quantity for nested Production Orders is calculated based on the selected in Production Process Customization setting and you will see the suggestions how many of the product it is needed to produce to maintain stock quantities

Please note that calculation for quantities for the nested products is applied only for products which have Production BOM. Assembly BOM products are not supported at the moment. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hi, 

I would like to add a suggestion for production orders,

F&B business, the order has sequences/steps for meat processing and it required to record some parameters of the material at each step 

e.g. meat temperature before and after , PH balance, color. It would be great to add some additional fields/attributes/notes to capture that info stage by stage. 

Many thanks in advance for consideration!

Login or Signup to post a comment

9 people like this idea