search-icon

Planned
Pack Size functionality in Products

started a topic over 5 years ago

In addition to Reorder Qtys, and Min Before Reorder levels, we really need Pack Size functionality.

Reorder Qtys really relate to MOQs (min order qtys) in the Purchasing process, not in the Sales process.

Whereas Pack Sizes are used in the Sales process, etc.

I'm sure there'd be many other wholesale businesses who stock products that come in Inner cartons & Outer cartons, but these may not necessarily reflect the Reorder Qtys.

E.g the MOQ of an item might be 100, but the Pack Sizes are 10.

So when ordering from your supplier the min qty is 100, and PO's must be placed in multiples of 100. But when selling to customers you can sell in qtys of 10.

Pack Sizes could be utilised as follows:

• Enforceable/Suggested Qty* during the sales process - both the normal SO module and in B2B portal
  • Enforceable/Suggested Qty* during Stock Transfers / Warehouse Replenishment
  • Deals & Discounts - create deals associated with Pack Sizes (I know this can be done now by entering the pack size manually, but it would be great to be able to create them simply e.g. Discount = 5% off Pack Size)
  • Show on the B2B Portal in Product details/Specifications view
  • PO Stock Receiving and Stocktake, so you can count stock items in pack sizes (and it automatically converts it in individual unit qtys)
  • ... please add your ideas!

*Enforceable could have at least 3 levels:

• Enforced - Order Qtys MUST be multiples of Pack Sizes
  • Suggested - during the SO process, when entering a qty which is not a multiple of the Pack Size, pop-up suggests to order in the Pack Size, but is not enforced. Alternatively, the current drop-down list could show the Pack Size alongside Stock Availability
  • Off - not in use

Please like/vote/comment if you agree!
Glad of further ideas for functionality

21 people like this idea
  • Definitely a must!

4 people like this
  • Great idea Dan - you can take all the cake my friend - I'm just glad to see this is in planned status! :-) :-) Woohoo - I'm taking the rest of the week off. When this is done all DEAR user's lives will be complete.

To confirm, you say: "PO Stock Receiving and Stocktake, so you can count stock items in pack sizes (and it automatically converts it in individual unit qtys)" - This is true for using the re-order products/backordered products functionality in DEAR - so when in the reorder screen, the 'reorder' button is hit, a PO is created, but instead of having an order for 'SKUsingle' x 5,000 it will say 'SKUcase' x 50 (as there are 100 singles in a case, so DEAR will convert the singles into cases and the PO will show this as such. 

Thereafter when looking at product availability, it should say 'SKUsingle' qty 'on order' = 5,000 AND 'SKUcase' qty 'on order' 50 (as they are the same product essentially, not duplicated).

Then when receiving stock in, you can then scan a case, it matches the PO, auto-disassembly puts them back into singles.

Awesome - love it.

3 people like this
  • I also assume that each Supplier would have what unit of measure they accept/what you normaly buy from them in. In our scenario, we buy products by the case from a certain supplier, but another supplier stock the same products by the box (smaller qty than a case, same product just different unit of measure). Therefore when selecting supplier, it would convert those singles into cases or boxes deopending on the supplier.

1 person likes this
  • Hi All,

This can be easily addressed via the "additional units of measure" feature which was introduced for this purpose. 

- First define an additional unit with a quantity such as "Product X Pack of 10" etc. for a product. (Eg: Wine Pack of 10)

- Next define it's price and other properties including pack weight and the rest. 

It will then auto-assemble on sale, and will be available on all sales channels and it will essentially enforce selling of whole packs if you sell this product. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

DEAR Support Team

• Thanks Heshan,

Is there a correlation between the unit price and the price of outer pack qty?

If not it could be quite clunky to manage i'm thinking..

But yet to give it a try

• @ DEAR Support, I notice that you have planned work relating to this ticket. Can you please let us know, if you are going to address the below issue, as part of this. 

Ability to enter Qty based price breaks for each supplier. 

When wholesalers buy stock for resale, they would have different price breaks from suppliers. 

I have a open request for this feature. If you are going to tackle it as part of the planned work, Im happy for you to combine the tickets. 

https://support.dearsystems.com/support/discussions/topics/11000028552

Thanks

2 people like this
  • Yes, a must have feature. When will it be ready and released?

• ok DEAR it's planned but when will it be implement ??

• Any update on the progress?? 

1 person likes this
  • Any updated on this, this is the only thing really stopping me from using the customer portal!!

1 person likes this
  •  Just had a try of the "Additional Units of Measure" functionality.  Got excited for a moment there and as always the devil is in the detail.  You can't use it for stocktakes which when you think it through makes sense but that is what I wanted most.  I want to count cartons not what is in them. :-(  I want the computer to tell me how many units I have...  

1 person likes this
  • Hi All,

We believe this feature request can be easily addressed via the "additional units of measure" feature on DEAR inventory. As explained above pack sizing can be defined as additional unit of measure as follows: 

- First define an additional unit with a quantity such as "Product X Pack of 10" etc. for a product. (Eg: Wine Pack of 10)

- Define it's price and other properties including pack weight and the rest. 

Component (BOM) products can be then auto-assemble on sale, and will be available on all sales channels and it will essentially enforce selling of whole packs if you sell this product. 

For the B2B channel: 

- A simple workaround for pack size on B2B portal: Define pack sizes for products and group them in the family, and define options for the product variances within the family by the pack sizes you have defined under additional units of measure by which you will be able to view the additional unit of measures for this family on B2B portal

For Stock transfers and Stock takes we haven't yet implemented the enforceable additional unit of measures but we would look into possible improvements to include additional units of measures on those functionalities as well. 

You could refer our support document on additional units of measures for additional details on setting up and using this function as Pack sizes for your business needs. 

https://support.dearsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/11000041299-additional-units-of-measure

Please share us your feedback if there are any for further improvements. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks much!

Regards,

Leoni

•  Thanks Leoni,

I urge everyone to take a look at and try the "additional units of measure" feature.  I did and it works well down to where I needed it most and for me it does not solve my issue. We sell books individually mostly but they are warehoused in cartons and are moved in cartons and sometime sold in cartons. What I want most is the ability to inventory in cartons or "additional units of measure".

Hopefully this will happen at some time in the future and if it does I will implement it in a heart beat. Everything else about it is good.

cheers

Mark.

1 person likes this
  • The suggested solution posted by Leoni Senanayake kinda works.. but it's clunky and still inefficient.

• In essence, you are still managing 2 separate SKU's for all aspects except stock - which is managed through BOM with auto-assembly
    • All other aspects - pricing, integrations, descriptions are completely independent of each other
    • Likewise, when processing an SO it's not like you can search the SKU and then choose the pack size option, you need to choose the SKU in which the pack size qty is built. 

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment

21 people like this idea