search-icon

Implemented
Make tote numbers in the WMS app optional

started a topic over 5 years ago

I've just started using the app and find the mandatory tote number really annoying, I don't pick each order in defined totes for each order. I bulk pick then pack the orders. I find I have to make up the tote numbers and its annoying and introduces an unnecessary step in the picking workflow.

Could you please consider making the tote number optional.

8 people like this idea
  • I find the best solution is to remove the required tote in the app and instead allow users to create their own tote for the data drift boss they want to import. 

• Hi Chris,

Please be informed that this feature is already implemented in DEAR WMS.

You could refer further details on how it works by clicking this link.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Leoni

• Hi Dear team,

Any updates on how this one is progressing? We have a few clients who would like to turn this feature off.

Thanks,

• Hi Chris,

Hope you are doing well. 

I'd like to get some additional details regarding your above suggestion on  preloading tote values through general settings. 

Could you please explain this suggestion with a business use case as to what's the purpose of generating a tote number again at the WMS pick stage as this should already be available on each of the container/ box sticked to it from which we would pick it up. 

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks much!

Regards,

DEAR Team

• Hi All,

It would be good to make totes optional on our side as well.

Additionally, it would be good to preload tote values in general settings to stop picking teams from tote selection. 

Our Tote setups are pretty structured, and it is tiresome to have to manually select when we have 15 number totes within a Picking Carton, given the totes are 1-15 sequentially and then carton is the variable (CARTA-TOTE1, CARTA-TOTE2). Currently we would need to scan each tote for an order, whereas I would prefer to have 15 order selected, and then the WMS app dictates the TOTE number based on the Carton number. 

Regards,

Chris

• I second this. Please make tote optional in the DEAR WMS app

We bulk pick, say you got 20 order with 10 different products, then we pick all the products at once, not minding what product is for what order, and than distribute the products to the correct orders in the Pack process. In our old system we use what you call the "combined pick list" in the DEAR web app. You can compare it to having 1 tote when packing all orders. 

If you work without totes, then you're forced to spend time inputting fictional tote numbers and then you have to put these numbers in in the packing process. Grrr

In short, the app forces you to have a very specific pick and pack process, when in reality there's many different variations, and using tote is not necessary the most optimal for all warehouses.

The most optimal process, at least for us, would be to, in the app -> mark all the orders that we want to pick -> get "combined pick list" (like the one in the web app) -> scan all the products on the "combined pick list" confirming all products are picked for the orders marked -> continue to packing -> show all orders ready for packing by default -> go into each one and scan the products. Packing done.

1 person likes this
  • He isn't asking you to allow multiple totes, though that could be useful for some people.

He is asking that you give the option to NOT USE TOTES.

By requiring totes, you are forcing a workflow onto your users that isn't entirely common. In more than 10 years of ecomm and order fulfillment, I have never worked anywhere that used numbered totes during the fulfillment process. When we use DEAR WMS, we just type in a junk number to get past this issue with the app, because there is no valid number we could use for it.

3 people like this
  • - So the idea is to use multiple  totes/cartons for single order ? 

- How do you label your  cartons ? Can you use order number printed as barcode?  Should cartons for every order be numbered uniquely ? 

- Do you need to have a content of every carton put into the box ?  

- Do you need to add carton on the fly as you may not know how many cartons required ? 

- Can you shoot short video demonstrating the ideal process ?

• I understand the concept to why totes are required however not all orders picked by the warehouse would be for a couple items. In our warehouse we could picked 20 or 30 different SKU's for each order which can be of all different sizes and weights which would require us to use a number of different size totes.

Doesn't using a barcode scanner eliminate the need for a second validation step (eg: pack). Could an option be instead of using a tote # - could you select which carton the item is being placed in during the pick stage?

• Hi Steve

If you don't split orders by tots how do you validate what has been picked for individual order ? We can't modify process now as packing step relies on the tot number to uniquely identity the order.  Could you elaborate your workflow so we can see how we can make tot optional. 

Regards

DEAR Team

• Tote is a container generally used for order-picking and shipping of items.  Usually small in size and easily moved by hand or other lifting devices and designed to be durable and reusable.

2 people like this
  • I don't understand how totes work and what they are used for. There's no documentation on how to use tote numbers effectively as well.

It's also incongruent to have one workflow for the web app and another workflow for the mobile app. 

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment

8 people like this idea