search-icon

Planned
Search for products which contain items in their Bill of Materials (BOM)

started a topic about 8 years ago

Hi,

For a particular SKU (or product name / partial name) I would like to be able to search for the products which contain the referenced search term(s) in the product's Bill of Materials (BOM).

i.e. show all the products which contain a particular SKU in their BOMs.

At the moment, the only way I can work out to do this is to perform the BOM export and do searches by opening up the export in a spreadsheet!! 

There must be a better way! Please.

Thanks,

Daniel

11 people like this idea
  • I cannot understand why more people don't need this..... When we need to swap parts out of BOMs it is a labourious process to export the BOM file and search. 

1 person likes this
  • Yes!  Being able to perform a "Where Used" query on an item, component, sub-assembly, etc. would be a HUGE help.  Parts change, components suffer End-of-Life, engineering substitutes new items - to be able to quickly determine where those things are used (which BOMs include them) would allow for much more efficient analysis of the impact of a change. 

A "Where Used" query is pretty standard functionality in Inventory / BOM systems, as it's a VERY commonly used function. 

1 person likes this
  • A simple approach to solve this is simply ask the support team to help you find where the given part is used.  They are great and can help solve it immediately.  I suspect that if Dear Systems get enough of these requests, they will see it valuable to implement this as a self-service function.  

An alternative but far less user-friendly approach I've used is exporting my production BOMS into a spreadsheet and searching and if needed replacing and reimporting the changes.

• Trudi, I agree. I'm a little unsure of why people don't vote, but as much as I find DEAR excellent as a product, the process for engaging support, proposing a feature etc is not good. It is confusing and I have no confidence that DEAR actually processes & responds to requests in any ordered or systemic way. I could understand if people don't bother voting.

Their support is excellent. Their process for feature development customer interaction not so good. IMO.

• We get support through WhatsApp and that seems to be very timely no matter where we are requesting help from - we are in China, Boston, Philippines and Mexico - you might use that approach as its real time and I hate waiting.  The number is +44 1244 940807 and its free via whatapp to live chat them. 

• This is a really big issue for us as well.  Our typical BOM has over 250 SKUs and doing changes is a nightmare.  We do know its possible to find this data because the support team has helped us find this before when we've had products we could not delete because they were used in a BOM somewhere.  The WHERE USED function is even found in the pathetic quickbooks enterprise edition since 2015 so I'm sure the good folks are Dear are looking at this!

Login or Signup to post a comment

11 people like this idea