search-icon

Implemented
Drop ship for our customers

started a topic almost 9 years ago

We regularly need the drop ship on behalf of our customers, so in addition to different shipping addresses, we need different company names to be associated with those addresses.

14 people like this idea
  • We end up just using DEAR's custom fields to accomplish this. It works out okay.

• We are doing it that way too. It is just a tedious double entry that is not needed. 

Sometimes the warehouse guys only look at the ship and things get shipped to the wrong place.

• How could you add custom fields to the sales order or where do you add this? Thanks.

• We also need a more simplified drop ship feature. We work around by tediously adding the info (so it goes to ShipStation). But it's too many steps for something so much a part of what businesses do now. Also at this time, DEAR adds this contact information to our customs card AND somehow sets this new drop ship address and contact person as default (and this gets sent over to XERO, which is double-ly annoying). DEAR told me that this will be fixed in the next update (not sure when though) however, drop shipping for a customer needs to be more simple and user friendly. We are also using the DEAR b2b, and asking our retailers to place all drop ship orders there. They are struggling with so many steps. This needs to be improved.

1 person likes this
  • Hi Kara/Alexander/Camden and other contributors

We are scheduling this task for development in September. Reading  your message in this thread (and other messages as well)  we still are not sure what needs to be 

1. ... more simple and user friendly

2. .. with less steps

Please tell us how do you see the perfect process for drop shipping and B2B ordering? 

• DEAR Support, 

Thank you for reaching out and looking into this matter.  I'll start with the B2B interface since I think it just needs 2-3 small changes. 

I logged into our test account and placed an order intended for drop ship

First, I added a new address. 

* there was no place to add the drop ship customers name

*a tick box indicating that this is a drop ship order would be useful (that comes across to DEAR in the SO)

*there is a box to tick for "default for type", which is good to have. I left it unticked. 

I later checked DEAR and that address was added to customer file but it did not default to this address (good). For us, not adding that address to customer file would be preferable

I will think more about entering a drop ship from the standard DEAR interface and write back later. This is necessary for us as our reps will be doing this and we will have to manually enter them for customers as well. 

Thanks for listening!

-Kara

1 person likes this
    1. Since we sell to roofing contractors, our drop ship address is the job site and is typically a one time or 2 time use only. They should not be saved under the customers address book since it messes up CRM sync like Capsule.
    2. When PO's are created from drop ship orders, we need to provide Delivery Contact, Phone, Company, Delivery Address, Shipping Method, Shipping Comments to the vendor as required by the shipping carriers. There's not enough room in the ship to to have all that and since it messes up the address book, we end up creating a secondary address called See Delivery Info and then put everything on the order comment. But those comments don't get copied to the PO when created so it is also a manual process.
    3. Since the Shipping Method is only available for in stock orders, we also can't use the Tracking Number field to provide the customer with the tracking numbers. We have to enter that in the email body or order comment. Quite time consuming. Since tracking numbers are provided when the order ships or when the vendor sends their invoice, an ideal situation would be to have the tracking number field available in the PO when it is received with the option to update the matching order.
    4. We can have more than 1 vendor per SKU but only 1 can be a drop ship. We have multiple vendors for the same product and depending on customer location, everything can come from 1 source. So we need to be able to set multiple DS vendors and just select that by line item as needed.

1 person likes this
  • Agreed that the drop ship address should not be saved to the customer's address book. Maybe offer the customer a "save address for future use" check box?  

• Dear Support/Development,

In this case the simplest solution is the most powerful. Just as you allow any company in the bill to, also allow choosing any company in the database in the ship to. You can easily see it's a drop ship order by looking at the bill to and ship to. I think it unecessarily complicates things if you try to mark orders and companies differently, an order should just be an order. A company should just be a company.

1 person likes this
  • Dear Support/Development,

In this case the simplest solution is the most powerful. Just as you allow any company in the bill to, also allow choosing any company in the database in the ship to. You can easily see it's a drop ship order by looking at the bill to and ship to. I think it unecessarily complicates things if you try to mark orders and companies differently, an order should just be an order. A company should just be a company.

This should be a simple change, please get it implemented ASAP.

• Could you add a check box if you'd like to save the address? That would work with any sale. 

And the default for a b2b or intergrated/web order should NOT be to save the address. Again, you'd have to manually check a box to save it. 

We'd also like to see (on the b2b site) is an automatic email confirmation once a customer has placed an order. 

These 2 things and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a place to enter the recipients name and seems like most of us would be satisfied. 

DEAR---any plans to implement this soon? Adding the recipients name has got to be something easy to add...right??  Thanks!

1 person likes this
  • FYI. This seems to have been done
  • I was directed here by support to suggest this same topic because my company only drop ships goods for my customers.  I couldn't figure out how to add shipping address' for each customer that is not their companies name.

I was just told by support that it isn't possible to have the ship to address have the following:

Company Name

Address Line 1

Address Line 2

City State Zip

Contact-Phone number.

Am I missing something?

Login or Signup to post a comment

14 people like this idea