Additional units of measure provide a way for you to set up products individually or in groups, say cases of 6 or 12. For more information on creating additional units of measure for a product, see Additional Units of Measure.
Instead of individually creating additional units of measure for your products, you can import them into DEAR via a comma-separated values (CSV) file. For more information on this CSV file, see Template File Specifications.
You can also import products with updated units of measure and/or delete products with additional units of measure using the same CSV file. For more information, see How To Import Additional Units of Measure.
You can also export units of measure out of DEAR if required. For more information, see How To Export Additional Units of Measure.
NOTE: Another way to do this is by adding a bill of materials to a product and setting it for auto-assembly, but using additional units of measure is simpler. For more information on adding a Bill of Materials to a product and setting it up for auto-assembly, see Bill of Materials.
- Product and Service Management (recommended)
Template File Specifications
If your units of measure are available in a third-party system, you need to export them out of the system into a CSV file. To help you prepare the file for import to DEAR, Table 1 below shows the specifications of the template file that you will download under Step 3 in How To Import Additional Units of Measure.
|Can be any one of the following: Create/Update/Delete.|
Optional for Create and Update.
Required for Delete.
|Required for new products|
Import Additional Units of Measure
If you are using a third-party system for your products, you can import additional units of measure from your system to DEAR via a CSV file. You can also update or delete products with additional units of measure using this same procedure.
- Navigate to Inventory -> Products.
- On the Products page, click the Import button at the top, then select Units of Measure from the list.
- On the Import Units of Measure page, download the template file, which has the correct product headings DEAR needs to import the units of measure for your products. Take note of the download folder.
- Navigate to the download folder, then open the template file (for the complete template file specifications, see Table 1).
- Using Excel or another spreadsheet program, copy and paste the additional units of measure that you exported out of your third-party system into the template. Make sure the data you copy matches the column headings provided in the template.
- Import the file back into DEAR by either dragging it into the designated spot or selecting it from your computer. If the upload is successful and an error message does not appear, proceed to Step 7. Otherwise, skip to Step 8.
- If the template file does not have any issues, the records are uploaded into DEAR.
- An error message appears if there is an issue with the template file. If there are valid products that can be uploaded into DEAR, click the Upload Valid Lines button to upload the valid products into DEAR. To download a file with the invalid products, click the Download Invalid Lines button. Review the template file, making sure to check that it conforms with the template specifications set forth in Table 1, then retry the operation again starting from Step 6.
Export Additional Units of Measure
You can export the units of measure you've set up in DEAR to a CSV file for further analysis and/or manipulation from outside the system, then either re-import it back to DEAR or to another system, for example, your accounting application.
- Navigate to Inventory -> Products.
- On the Products page, click the Export button at the top, then select Units of Measure from the list.
- When prompted, download the file to your computer, taking note of the download folder.