As the name suggests, a surcharge is an additional charge or fee or tax added to the cost of services or goods. A surcharge is added to an existing tax and may not be included in the price of the goods or services. It may be a temporary charge to defray the cost of increased goods/service pricing, or it may be a permanent charge.
- Adding and Managing Surcharges
- Applying Surcharges to Payment Methods
- Applying a Surcharge to a Sale
- Viewing Sales History
- Refunding Surcharges for Product Returns
- Viewing the Surcharge Report
- Emailing the Surcharge Report
- Viewing the List of Surcharges in the Register Closure Report
Adding and Managing Surcharges
Adding a surcharge:
- Navigate to INTEGRATION > POINT OF SALE > Your POS Store.
- Click the Surcharge option in the left navigation menu. The Surcharge page will be displayed.
- Click the +Surcharge button. The Add Surcharge to POS dialogue box will open.
- Enter the name of the Surcharge, then select the type of Surcharge, which can be one of the following:
- Percentage – This calculates the surcharge as a percentage of the total amount of the invoice in the POS.
- Amount – This adds a fixed amount to the total amount of the invoice in the POS.
- Based on the type of the surcharge selected in Step 4, enter the value of the surcharge to be calculated/added to a sale transaction.
- Specify whether or not the surcharge amount will be refunded on exchange or return of the item by switching the 'Refund Surcharge' toggle button between 'Yes' or 'No' respectively.
- Switch the toggle button to 'Yes' (the 'Active' toggle) to activate the surcharge, then click Add.
To edit a surcharge:
- Click the surcharge to be edited.
- Make the necessary changes and then press Enter.
To delete a surcharge:
- Click the Delete icon to the right of the surcharge to be deleted.
- Click Yes on the confirmation message if you are sure you want to delete the surcharge.
Applying Surcharges to Payment Methods
Once a surcharge has been created it will be available to be applied to your payment methods. Surcharges can be applied to the Credit Card default payment method and to any custom payment methods.
Default payment method mapping is accessed from the POS -> Setup tab. Click on the Surcharge field of the payment method to select surcharges from the dropdown menu.
Surcharges can also be added at the outlet level using outlet payment mapping. Outlet mapping will override default mapping.
Applying a Surcharge to a Sale
To apply a surcharge or surcharges to a sale:
- Click https://pos.dearsystems.com and log in to DEAR POS.
- Enter the name of the DEAR POS Outlet, then the Login ID and Password.
- Click Sign In.
- Click Sell -> Register in the DEAR POS menu.
- Search for the product, then click on the required product to add it to your sale.
- Click Pay. The Sale Summary page will be displayed.
- Click the applicable payment method, e.g. Credit Card. The dialogue box to select the surcharge fee will be displayed.
- Select the surcharge that you want to add to the sale. You may select multiple surcharges, if applicable. The payment will be completed with the surcharge being applied to the sale, and the Sale Summary page will be displayed.
Viewing Sale History
To view the sale history:
- Click Sell -> Sales History in the DEAR POS menu to display the Sales History page showing the total surcharge amount applied to each sale.
Refunding a Surcharge for Product Returns
To refund a surcharge for product returns:
- Click Sell -> Sales History in the DEAR POS menu to open the Sales History page.
- On the left column, select the sale from which the products to be returned will be taken.
- Click Return.
- On the Add a customer to the sale window, select the customer from the list or add a new customer on the go.
- On the Refund page, check the box to select the product that you want to return and then click Confirm.If the surcharge is refundable (specified while creating a surcharge), the cost of the product along with the surcharge amount is refunded to the customer. If the surcharge is not refundable, only the cost of the product is refunded to the customer without the surcharge amount.
Viewing the Surcharge Report
To view the Surcharge Report:
- Click Reports -> Surcharge Report in the DEAR POS menu.
- The Surcharge Report page that shows all surcharges charged to customers in the outlet is displayed.
- From the All Outlets list, select the outlet for which you want to view the surcharges.
- Select the range of dates for which you want to view the surcharges. The Surcharge Report for the selected outlet and period will be displayed.
NOTE: To export the Surcharge Report, in .csv format, clickExport.
Emailing Surcharge Report
To email the Surcharge Report:
- Click Email.
- On the Email report window, enter the email address of the report's recipient.
- Enter the email subject, then click Send Email.
Viewing Surcharges in the Register Closure Report
To view the list of surcharges in the Register Closure Report:
- Click Reports -> Register Closure in the DEAR POS menu.
- On the Register Closure page, select the outlet for which you want to view the surcharges from the Outlets dropdown list.
- Select the range of dates for which you want to view the surcharges, then click Refresh. The Register Closure Report for the selected outlet and period will then be displayed.