Using Shipstation for Shipping Rate Quotes
Shipstation as a shipping service allows you to estimate how much shipping charges will be based on the "from shipping" location to customers "shipping address". This information can be used to set pre-determined Shipping Rates in DEAR.
- Using Shipping rate estimates
There are some steps to setup before you can start using Shipstation to calculate rates. These can be skipped if you have done them already.
Setup addresses in DEAR
To correctly calculate shipping rates, you must first define where you are shipping from. Add addresses to all of your locations to make sure your shipping rates are accurate.
To setup addresses in DEAR:
- Go to Settings -> Reference Books -> Stock -> Locations & Bins
- You can add more locations with + or Add more items
- Enter a name and address for each location
- Save your changes
Setup product dimensions
To correctly estimate shipping rates in Shipstation, the correct dimensions must be added to the product in DEAR. See Product and Service Management for more information about setting up products.
To setup dimensions in DEAR:
- Go to Inventory -> View All -> Products
- Select the product in question and at the bottom of the page, select the Dimensions tab
- Enter the dimensions and Save the product
Connect Shipstation as a Shipping Service
Shipstation can be connected to DEAR both as a store and as a shipping service. See here for more information about connecting Shipstation as a store.
To connect Shipstation as a Shipping Service:
- Go to Integration -> Shipstation
- Click + to make a new connection
- Enter your API key and API secret key (you can get this from the API settings on your Shipstation account)
- Click Connect Shipstation as a Shipping Service
- You can then proceed to choose your settings parameters.
Default Ship From Address: If a shipping location does not have an address specified, this address will be used instead.
Use Tax Rate From: This setting determines which tax rule will be applied to the shipping charge. Option 1 is to use "Default" Tax Rule for all customers and select from the drop down of available tax rules ( Tax Rule for Shipping ), Option 2 is to use "Customer" tax rule which is determined at customer level during setup.
Currency in Shipstation: Base currency in your shipstation account
Additional Shipping Margin: If margin value is set to Relative this means that margin will be calculated using a percentage amount. If set as Absolute a fixed amount will be applied on top of the shipping cost.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates
Once the setup steps are complete, you can begin to estimate shipping rates on sale orders.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in DEAR
To get shipping rate estimates in DEAR:
- Create a sale order using Simple Sale or Advanced Sale
- Add products to the order
- Click Get Shipping Rates
- Select Shipstation from the dropdown menu
- A dialogue box will appear where you will need to select CARRIER and SERVICE type then click OK.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal
To get Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal:
- Go to Integrations -> DEAR B2B Portal
- In the Setup tab scroll down to Shipping Service and select Shipstation from the drop down. Click Save
- During CHECKOUT the shipping methods from Shipstation will be automatically shown for customer's selection in Step 3: Shipping Method