search-icon

Planned
Substitute an out of stock part in an auto assembled bill of materials at order stage

started a topic over 5 years ago

We have bill of materials that are auto assembled when we authorize an order. We quite often have one small part that is out of stock that we want to substitute for another like part. This stops us being able to authorize an order/invoice. Other systems i have used had a very basic feature that enables you to open the bill of materials in the order and edit it just for the opened order.

This small feature would allow us to substitute parts in the bill of material for the one order without having to change the original BOM. It would ensure our stock levels are accurate and really speed up the process of authorizing orders and invoices.

Thanks team.

Ben

6 people like this idea
  • Thanks for your suggestions. Could you please provide the names of other systems that support this feature. We need to understand how this should work with our current workflow

Thanks

• It just needs to be between Order and pick tab. It should show any auto assembled kits in tree view so that you can substitute before authorizing order.

1 person likes this
  •  Hi guys - I've just feature requested this - didn't realise it was planned already :-)

Here is what my idea is:

Please can DEAR consider substitutions for assemblies.

Substitutions are inevitable if you are not able to purchase, for whatever reason, the normal component froom your suppliers.

This is how I gather it works, from speaking with other MRP softwares in detail: (Orderwise does this specifically, and Netsuite)

At the point of purchasing, when a component is unavailable, the substituted component can be set on a 'bundle' level, or 'product' level. Product level being that this new substitute would be used in all cases where the original product would be used - a simple swap. multiple componets can be identified if required. Or on a bundle level where you can set only specific assemblies where this substitute can be used. Or a combination of the two.

At the assembly build stage, the user would be prompted to use the substituted product, based on the set of rules, should the original component be unavailable, or even if available, where the rules state that the substitution should be used instead of the original.
  • a single engineering of the product's entire material design. All replacement components, replacement parts, and items shown in the annotated drawings are all included. The product code, part name, part number, part modification, description, quantity, unit of measure, size, length, weight, and digital information or product attributes are all included in each line of unitized material (BOM).

• This has now been 4 years since i posted this. And years earlier when i discussed this with Dear at a conference. And nothing. Due to this issue we can not use Dear to keep accurate numbers of our stock. Dear has huge potential however there are two issues that just hold it back.

Login or Signup to post a comment

6 people like this idea