Start a new topic

Landed Cost distributions

While landed cost Expenses - freight, insurance, duties, etc - can be allocated to Invoices

It will be nice to also be able to allocate the allocate Expenses of Invoices to Products

This feature will allow us to get a more accurate Product costing

2 people like this idea

My formula for working out actual landed costs on good is they following...

Total invoice amount in AUD + landed charges (duty/freight/insurance etc..) Divided by the original invoice amount is whatever currency you bought it in (USD/EURO etc) This will give you a factor multiplier that you can use to multiply the original suppliers invoice line amount by the factor.

EG: 

10 x Machine Part A @ 250 Euro each = 2500 Euro

5 x Machine Part B @ 150 Euro each = 750 Euro

Total invoice amount = 3250 Euro

Paid amount in AUD = 5240 AUD

+Freight = $700 AUD

+Duty = $400 AUD

+Insurance = $100 AUD

= $6440 AUD / 3250 (original supplier amount) = 1.9815

Landed Costs

10 x Machine Part A @ 250 x 1.9815 = $495.375 each $4953.75 Total

5 x Machine Part B @ 150 x 1.9815 = $297.225 each $1486.125 Total 

You may have to some tweaking as it's hard to get the line total to equal exactly what you got with your multiply factor as Dear only lets you adjust the line amount and not the line total which is a pain.

Lastly the GST portion can be entered into the services section on the PO as Import tax, you will need to multiply it by 10 with "GST on Expenses" and then create anther line of the same but with negative the same amount and "GST free expenses". This will put the correct GST amount in.

This may seem a little complicated but it really isn't once you've done it a few times... Gives me accurate costings on all my inventory which is very helpful.

2 people like this

thanks Danny.  this is what we also do.  except in situations wherein the Duty rates are different for each product groups the current set up does not allow allocation to individual products for a more accurate landed cost

for example machinery may be 1% duty while spare parts may be 3% and accessories is 7%

Login or Signup to post a comment