search-icon

Planned
Add carton/item volume and pack quantity to product dimension

started a topic over 6 years ago

Why do companies need item and carton volume?

1. The carton/item volume allows the companies that import stock from overseas to apportionate freight, duty based on volume of the products rather than value. This is particularly important when the products varies greatly in size.

2. Having the volume information also makes is easier to configure the quantity in order to make full container shipment rather than LCL shipments which is very costly.

Where to add the volume and pack quantity details?

The volume and pack quantity details should be added to the product dimension tab as well as purchase order tab.

Some of the definition and useful calculations are shown below

Carton quantity:  This is the quantity of products in the carton box.

Inner quantity:  This is the quantity of products in the inner box

Volume of the item = Volume of the carton/Carton quantity

Line freight cost= Total freight cost/(Total Volume of the shipment/volume of the item)

Please feel free to contact me to discuss the formulas for the calculation of freight at line level.

Thanks

Terry

14 people like this idea
  • I agree and something I have asked for as well as it is important information to complete many different tasks

4 people like this
  • Good to see this request has been planned by DEAR.

This will make DEAR more suitable for online retailers who import stock from overseas.

2 people like this
  • Hi Terry, 

we are in the process of looking at developing your requirement, and I have few queries regarding your requirement which I need to clarify. Could you provide your feedback to my queries below please.

1) You have mentioned that the user will enter the ‘inner quantity’. But in your end formula I don’t see where this inner quantity will be referred at?

2) We need 2 fields in the system to enter the ‘Total Freight Cost’ and the ‘total volume of the shipment’ as well, so that it can be used at calculating the line freight cost, am I correct?

3) To summarize, we will need to add 3 new fields in the product dimension page in order for the system to generate the Line Freight Cost value. The fields would be, Carton Quantity, Volume of the Carton, Total Volume of the shipment which the user will enter, and the system will return the Line Freight Cost Value based on the values entered in the 3 fields am I correct?

Best Regards,

Heshan - DEAR Systems

• Hi Terry, 

Kind reminder on the above set of questions for us to proceed to cater to the above requirement. 

Best Regards,

Maheshi - DEAR Systems

• Hi

Please see my replies to your questions.

1) You have mentioned that the user will enter the ‘inner quantity’. But in your end formula I don’t see where this inner quantity will be referred at?

The inner quantity is not needed for caculation of the volume of the order, only carton quantitty and carton dimention in cubic metres are needed for the caculation.

But inner quantity is useful as it shows the suppliers the extra inner packaging required. Hence it is great if it can be inputted manually and show on purchase orders. Also for any wholesale business in gifts industry, they would have a minimum sales quantity for each item and it is ususually the inner quantity.

2) We need 2 fields in the system to enter the ‘Total Freight Cost’ and the ‘total volume of the shipment’ as well, so that it can be used at calculating the line freight cost, am I correct?

Correct. The total freight cost would be apportionated by the volume of each line. Then it can be divided by the total number of pieces of the particular item in question to work out the unit freight cost per item.

The inner quantity, carton quanitity and line volume filed would be very useful to have on the purchase order. Most business imports would need to know the volume in cubic metres before they place the order. This way they can up or down the quantity on the PO to make a full container shipment easily if they need to.

3) To summarize, we will need to add 3 new fields in the product dimension page in order for the system to generate the Line Freight Cost value. The fields would be, Carton Quantity, Volume of the Carton, Total Volume of the shipment which the user will enter, and the system will return the Line Freight Cost Value based on the values entered in the 3 fields am I correct?

Carton quantity - Yes this can be inputted directly on product dimension page.

Volume of carton- You can do this in 2 ways, Either have a filed on Product Dimensio page for manual input or just have 3 fileds for Dimensions of the carton box, then work out the volume of the cartons (Volume of the cartons  = Height x Width x Length , all in cm),

Total Volume of the shipment- This should be calculated by the system.

Total Volume = Sum of the line volume

Line Volume = volume of carton box  x number of cartons

Number of cartons = Total quantity of the item on PO/ Carton quantity

The total feright cost in manually inputted onto the Purchase Order page.

Once Total freight cost, and order quantity for each line are inputted, the system should be able to work out line freight cost, total volume of the purchase order using the formula above.

Hope this make senses.

If not please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards

Terry

1 person likes this
  • Agree that volume data for transactions (SO, PO, Stock Transfer etc) should be pulled from the Dimensions data of Products, using the logic: Item dimensions x Qty.  

This data should be available on transactions as both line item totals, and overall transaction total.

Shouldnt need to manually input volume or weight on a transaction, although i can understand that it would be beneficial to be able to override the calculated volume & weight for shipping purposes.

Can I please add 2 points in for consideration?:

• Can this data & functionality also be made available through the Sales and Stock Transfer modules as well (and related Reporting), not just Purchasing

• In addition to volume, can we include weight too on the same logic & basis

• Hi Terry, 

Thank you for the response. I will reach out to you if I have any further questions.  

Hi Daniel, 

Thank you for your comments. Will be considering the above requests for the next set of specifications. 

Best Regards,

Maheshi - DEAR systems 

• Hi Maheshi Gunawardane,

Any update on this feature?

• I agree +1 vote from me 

• Now Dear have added the product dimensions details in the product page. However such info cannot be imported / exported via csv and most importantly the Dear API. So now we can’t check / update the products dimensions in bulk … so as much as we need this feature to check our order volume, we are not able to use this at all.
  • This is very frustrating and you would assume any fields could be exported/imported.

• Very needed - Would be excellent to have a dispatch box quantity field that populates correct quantity of boxes on packing stage, but still editable at this stage too.  Bring it on please.

• Extremely important to be able to populate on the sales order side. Otherwise users are expected to manually enter the dimensions into the package dimensions when they are already stored in the system under the item.

Without this being entered on the sales side, all the shipping integrations are essentially useless.

Login or Signup to post a comment

14 people like this idea