search-icon

Planned
Freight allocation by weight or quantity of line items on PO

started a topic over 7 years ago

My manufacturing company utilizes the "Purchase Manual Journals" functionality in order to allocate the freight costs associated with ingredient shipment (invoiced separately from the ingredients themselves) to each ingredient line item in the specific Purchase Order.  Currently, Dear allocates these manual journals on a 'pro-rated' basis to each line item on the Purchase Order according to the % of dollar value for which each line item is responsible (as a percentage of the total PO $$ amount).  For a manufacturing company like ours, however, which brings in thousands of pounds of 'cheap' ingredients and smaller quantities of 'expensive' ingredients all on the same PO, this model is flawed.  Dear's current allocation strategy assigns too high of a freight cost for those 'expensive' items, despite the fact that they are not the bulk of the PO (in terms of weight).  I would like to request that Dear add the functionality to allocate manual purchase journals (specifically for freight) based on the % of weight or quantity of the line items on the invoice, rather than the dollar value associated with the line item.

11 people like this idea
  • Great suggestion Kent! I'm quite surprised this hasn't been suggested more by the rest of the DEAR community. All of our clients that have inventory, apportion their freight costs by weight and not by price. We haven't been able to implement DEAR amongst any of these clients due to the fact that the workaround is to continue to do the calculations in excel and then manually try to adjust online with the correct purchase costs for each SKU. 

It would be great to have the option in the Manual Journals tab to select from a dropdown on whether to apportion additional costs based on weight or price.

Thanks DEAR dev team!

2 people like this
  • I totally agree, Chris.  A dropdown would be a perfect way to allow the user to select how to apportion those costs.  Thanks for the response.

2 people like this
  • Would love to see this feature!

In addition, the ability to proportion duties, possibly by HS code?

Currently we need to split an order several times to correctly proportion freight and duties. This is a very cumbersome workaround.

2 people like this
  • I would really like to see the feature described by Kent added to DEAR.  

**Note: If you also want to see this feature implemented, make sure you "like" this Feature Request, and/or add a comment. DEAR Inventory considers which feature requests to implement based, in part, on user interest/demand in this Feature Request forum.**

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment

11 people like this idea