search-icon

courier track-and-trace links in emails how-to

started a topic over 7 years ago

We send a link to the courier's track-and-trace webpage for boxes we ship and this quick hack was the easiest way I could see to do so in DEAR. 

Set up the URL to the track-and-trace as the "carrier" in Settings.  We use two different couriers, plus the option to pick up.

Add these MailMerge fields to your email template:

«TableStart:Ship»«carrier»«trackingnumber»«TableEnd:Ship»

The result comes out like the attached screenshot.  It's worth noting that some email clients like Gmail will only format the <<carrier>> as a clickable link...I've tried adding various bits of html and the Excel <hyperlink> tags to no avail so if anyone knows a workaround please let me know!

Hope this helps somone.

• This is interesting!  I wonder if I pasted the URL in with the tracking number (you could cut and paste it each time which is a hassle) if you could show the carrier and have the link with the tracking too.  I might try.

• I know this topic is old but I just started a new topic that asks DEAR to input a URL field so the email can have the tracking number, the courier, and a URL for the actual tracking link.

Like how shopify has it if you fulfill with Other. 

Please vote up if you agree.

http://support.dearsystems.com/support/discussions/topics/11000021312

• DEAR has section to include the Tracking URL for each carrier, under Setting >> Reference Books. I cannot seem to find a way to use this information in their Mail Merge docs though...

@DEAR-Support can you please add Mail Merge support for the Tracking URL meta data that is already in your system?

Thanks!
    Philip

Login or Signup to post a comment