search-icon

Planned
Assembly Production - Batch/Serial Number Creation

started a topic almost 8 years ago

Hi Dear Inventory,

When doing New Assembly for Production, I've noticed that Batch/Serial number are created automatically without having sequential Serial Numbers.

EX. Output of Serial number from DI is as follows:

1001-11001-21001-3, ... 1001-10

I'd like to have the option to have serials numbers that I can create as follows:

Starting Serial/Batch number (1001):  1001, 1002, 1003, .. 1010 

Regards,

Tony Oh

15 people like this idea
  • We really need to be able to assign our own serial numbers to an assembly of items! 

So when an assembly is completed it should ask what the serial numbers are we should be able to fill in with our own serial numbers.

Thanks!

5 people like this
  • Agree

• Agreed.  At the end of the assembly, there should be an option to specify the serial number of the items produced.  I envision this as being a General Setting such as "Enable user specification of serial numbers for production".  Then, after hitting the Complete button, a list of items produced would appear as they do for the Receiving of serial items.  Users could then enter the serial numbers through the user interface or the user could use a CSV export/import to specify the serial numbers.  The CSV export/import is important for large production runs of serial items. 

Thanks!

5 people like this
  • Yes please!

1 person likes this
  • The ability to manually assign serial numbers on completion of multiple quantities for assembly is vital for many of our clients with serialised items. 

Especially when items as part of a sub-assembly are already serialised, this serial number often is the one referenced when the final assembly is completed.

Serial numbers may not necessarily be sequential - they may be randomly generated as well.

For large runs of serialised items, as Stan mentioned above, a CSV bulk import would be a great feature.

3 people like this
  • Please prioritise this option change.  Our serial numbers are created during the production of our PCBs which are then used during the production of the finished goods.  Our finished goods are produced to order and therefore the current serial numbering process is not suitable for our business.  I would like to request the function of manually specifying the serial number of the items produced at the end of the assembly process.  Thanks for your consideration.

2 people like this
  • Great news that this is planned, I've been discussing this very thing with Dear this week.

Instead of the auto generated sequencing for batch receipts that Dear currently uses which define a start serial number but automatically add a suffix of -1 / -2 / -3 etc for batches;  We need the option to be able to input the serial numbers for each of the items in the batch ourselves - Crucially, they may not be sequential because serial numbers are applied for PCB programming prior to QC and any QC failures in a batch will break the sequence to be receipted (so if 3 items are created in a batch we could have 103567, 103568, 103570 for example).     

I would love a full fix with settings and controls but there seems to be a very simple fix here to make a big difference. Why can't the user just enter a comma separated sequence to apply to the units created in the batch. This would add a world of flexibility.

So, (off the top of my head so apologies if incomplete) the logic could be as follows:-

-IF the item being created is a Serial Number item;

THEN

-IF nothing entered in the serial number field, - no change to current system action (Use system generated),

-IF one serial number entered in the serial number field - no change to current system action (auto generate the rest of the batch if the quantity is greater than 1 but with a notification that system defined serial numbers will be used)

-IF there is more than one serial number entered (comma separated) THEN as long as the quantity of SN's entered matches the batch yield - process and apply manual serial numbers to batch units, IF it doesn't match the quantity the user cannot process and gets a pop up explanation why so they can fix.   Ideally, these multiple comma separated serial numbers could be scanned / imported via csv.

3 people like this
  • +1

We generate our serial numbers with our label printing software, so just having a field that forces a serial number for every unit in a batch that links back to the batch/serial numbers of units consumed would be ideal.

• Any update on this planned solution for the Assembly Production - Batch/Serial Number Creation.

It's been 5 months since the last post?

• Please add this feature......

• Guys any idea when this feature is coming out? I've got a client that desperately need this feature. They have QR codes they assign as a serial and this serial number needs to be assigned at the end of assembly. 

Thanks 

• Hey Dear Team

PLEASE DO THIS SIMPLE FEATURE. I have worked with support team member Himash on a work around for this issue of an inconsistent Assembled product Batch number. 

PLEASE see attached image as a very obvious example of the problem. We MUST put the Batch Number and the Expiry date on every product we sell so we MUST have a consistent serial number on all finished goods. A consistent serial batch number is critical for our products as this is a legal requirement to have a traceable back number on all products. 

The way batches are assigned is very inconsistent for us to make them useable. NOTE: I totally get the benefit of auto assigning the batch # for some people but for must I am sure this causes the same problem I have. Here is what we found;

1. We found that of at least 2 components have a batch/serial number then the Assembled products is given the Assembly FG number as the batch number, BUT 

2. If only 1 component is has a batch number then the assembly finished good is given the batch number of the component. 

Again I see the advantage of 2. above, But for many businesses a consistent Finished Goods serial number is critical. For any food company it is absolutely Necessary. 

Please act on this as this is a critical issue. 

NOTE: A simple toggle in settings to use auto assigned batch number OR a running serial number (such as the assembly number itself) would be a clean and simple solution. 

I look forward to seeing movement of this feature as it appears there is a strong need from this. 

• Any update on when this may be released? We have a need to assign a prefix + sequential serial numbers to Products incoming on a Purchase order, example 2020AA00001, 2020AA00002 ... 2020AA00501

• Hi DEAR team, we have a few clients who are quite interested in getting this going as well - any updates on this one!

Login or Signup to post a comment

15 people like this idea