search-icon
  • Decimals are tricky. I just ran into the problem where I'm creating a disassembly from one double pack of products into two single packs. Let's say the double pack cost $6.97. Dividing by two results in $3.485. When I load the BOM, the price per unit is displayed as $3.48 and yet the total still adds up to $6.97. So this is where you need and want the extra decimals but you also want to be able to see the meaningful fractional cents, perhaps up to four places (which is what's used in the Maximum Quantity field for disassemblies). I ended up just breaking the result into two individual units with on priced at $3.48 and the other at $3.49. Better that than an invisible fraction of a cent.

I'd also like to see decimal places in the Dimensions tab of a product record. If I enter a value as "4.250" then that is what I want to see.

So maybe the site-wide setting for decimals should not be on/off, but should be "decimal precision" and then you specify up to 4 or 5 places. Obviously, rounding would then be assumed to be applied automatically by DEAR when precision is set to less than needed: if you set precision to "2" then values with a third place would be rounded.

7 people like this
  • Thanks Mark, you've set it out clearly.

Come on DEAR, how about some response to this one? This issue clearly needs some attention.

5 people like this
  • How about a General Setting to control the number of visible decimal places on pricing? You do it for quantity. Why not pricing? 

5 people like this
  • 4 decimal points in an accounting system for a value is strange

2 people like this
  • This is particularly needed on the B2B portal. Prices are displayed to 4 decimals. Surely the norm would be two in this case even if all the decimals are preserved in the system?

1 person likes this
  • There should be a setting to ask how many decimal places you want. It's a weird drawback tot he system.

2 people like this
  • This is an issue for us also, as our pricing structure is a discount off of an rrp - we now have to reconfigure our pricing due to this issue, which is by no means a quick task....

A simple setting would make things so much simpler, especially when it is already there for quantity.

3 people like this
  • Any update on this Dear or a plan to have this developed in the road map - it really is a basic requirement - failing that more pricing tiers are needed - we simply need a solution!

1 person likes this
  • Hi All

Thanks for your input. Please try and see if our new feature will do the job for you. Check section in this document related to rounding http://support.dearsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/11000035475-managing-price-tiers/preview

Regards

DEAR Team

• The link is not working, please can you repost

• Thanks for the link, so I have reviewed and from what I can see this still does not solve the issue. I would be more than happy to be corrected on this matter of course.

For us we need to reduce the number of price tiers we are using for our discounts, so to utilise the available tiers for different currencies as our business expands. So to achieve the various discount levels i have created rules using product deal & discount function. E.g. 35% off RRP exc Vat for customers with a specific tag, or 40% off RRP exc Vat for customer with a different tag and so on.

I added the criteria to the rounding table: range 0 - 1,000,000 round to nearest 0.01 with no adjustment rule as all we require is the correct rounding to 2dp opposed to the default standard of 4dp.

I then tested this, and once the discounts are applied the prices revert back to 4dp once calculated.

Please can anyone advise if I am doing something wrong? or is it that the new rounding functionality is only linked to price tiers and does not consider any product discount rules in the system?

Attached a screen grabs

I really would love to be able to solve this rounding issue in our system.

Many thanks,

Cheryl

• Is there any update on the above? The new suggested solution did not resolve the challenge we have. Are there any plans to make a simple selection of decimal places within the general settings?

Thanks

• Hi All,

In the article http://support.dearsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/11000035473-managing-price-tiers , please check markup prices section. 

To achieve automatic rounding to desired precision, you need to use calculated product prices, use "Price Value" option and then define rounding rules in Rounding table that can be found on Genera Settings. This will give you great flexibility in the way how your prices after discounts and deals applied will be presented to your clients.

Please note that rounding table does not apply to fixed (not calculated) prices. 

Also please note that calculated prices should be defined in your base currency, and the system will automatically convert it into customer currency and apply rounding rules as the last step. 

With this feature you don't need to maintain different price tiers for different currencies.

Login or Signup to post a comment

25 people like this idea