search-icon

Sales by product from Dear API

started a topic about 8 years ago

Hi,

We need to export our sales for each product to a spreadsheet for forecasting and order calculation.

I would like to replicate the 'Sales By Product Details Report' with the API. 

The difficulty is that we have to get the sale list and then loop through for each sale and download the invoice lines, however I have not managed to extract the invoice lines from the JSON in excel.

Does anyone know a more direct way of accessing invoice lines or how to get the invoice lines from the Sale JSON?

Many thanks

2 people have this question
  • Im supprised that such a powerful software is missing a "sales per" day/week/month/year feature. Ive come from MYOB retail manager and that 20 year old software had it in a very easy tab of the product window. We also use this information as a tool to help us set min&reorder and place a puchase order. It helps us to order product bas3d on data not a gut feel. It helps answer: Do i order item a or item b?

1 person likes this
  • Old question I know but still worth answering.

I find the best way to deal with this sort of issue is to drag the data into a database and do of the workings there.

• I have a Dear to Zoho analytics feed deployed to a few clients, including consolidation of multiple Dear accounts of different base currencies. The best way to get advanced reporting is to use a tool designed for the job; zoho analytics is quite powerful and very good value. 

• @Ricky Hobson thanks for reviving this! When you say "drag" and "database" could you elaborate?

@Tim Richardson this sounds interesting can you please email us details? info at maltbyandgreek.com Cheers!

• Hi Stef K,

What I mean is having a database such as an Access or SQL database and then using the API to pull the data from Dear into it.

From there you would have a datasource you could pull into something like Excel and pivot on it or get a developer to create a report for you.

Hope that helps.

Ricky

• Hi Ricky, thanks for clarifying. So in order to get the sales at the invoice line level would you suggest the following structure:

Pull Sale List into a table.

For each sale in Sale List pull the Sale Invoices.

For each Sale Invoice pull the Sale Lines

It's perfectly doable but I was hoping there was a more direct method like the 'Sales by Product Detail Report'.

Do you know of a good JSON parser for Access that I could use to get the data from the API and put it into Access tables?

Cheers

Stef

• Hi Stef,

Have a look at this page on my web site (please add a valid link).  It gives an example of pulling data from Dear using Newtonsoft JSON.

Cheers,

Ricky

• I once pulled a lot of data from Dear into aExcel, and then uploaded it back to Dear (the entire product database) ... quite insane but it was what the client wanted. The spreadsheet was excel, but the code was python thanks to this project: https://www.xlwings.org/ 

To make it fast I did local sqlite caches and concurrent threads doing API calls. They are still using it three years later. Getting python to talk to access is even easier, since it is odbc.

python is a good language, there are many examples and libraries, but if you know .net you probably want to stick with it. 

If you are interested in python examples I can put some code examples somewhere. 

•  If anyone is interested, I can create a datasource from your Dear data that you can use in Excel.  The data will automatically be kept up to date so you can create pivots and graphs etc.   For this and other Dear integrations please have a look at my site Here.

Login or Signup to post a comment

2 people have this question