Start a new topic

Add support for PrintNode cloud printing

I find the printing process with DEAR incredibly cumbersome with every report resulting in a PDF that must be opened and printed. The ShipStation folks have a nice little client that runs in the background on your computer and makes printing from the web-based ShipStation a breeze. I have wished that DEAR could do something similar....turns out this is possible using PrintNode, which is a cloud service that includes a native client for OSX and Windows. They have an API and support a list of printers including thermal printers; the service can even output EPL/ZPL (for Zebra thermal printers) and print RAW. No, its not free ($5/mth) but DEAR could also include the service as part of the monthly inventory subscription.

PrintNode: Remote printing for web apps

A pain point I have right now is that I'd like to be able to create a report in the form of a label that includes order number in text as well as in a barcode that I can stick on each box that is to be packed....just in case the pick list wanders off....

1 person likes this idea
1 Comment

My solution for labels is to use a python script to access the Dear API pull down product details and merge it into a ZPL template that is sent to a Zebra printer on the network via LPR. PrintNode seems to be a very cool solution to allowing a cloudbased system to access printers inside the firewall.. Manufacturing systems really have to be able to talk to label printers. PDF formated labels don't cut it! ZPL is the standard.
Login or Signup to post a comment