search-icon

Not Taken
Please add setting for when to to post COGS!

started a topic over 8 years ago

We often invoice the customer on one date, and ship out their product on another. It seems like DEAR wants to post the COGS journal entry on the date the product ships. For our business and many others, this creates very inaccurate reporting (for example, if I make a sale in August, and want to review a P&L, I want to see all costs associated with that month's sales. If I ship orders from August out in September, my P&L will be skewed for both August and September). 

Talking to various accountants, it appears the standard in the USA is to always account for COGS when an order is sold, not when it physically leaves the warehouse.

It seems like many inventory solutions give you a setting for this: post COGS on ship date, or post COGS on invoice date. Adding a setting like this would accommodate different accounting standards. 

13 people like this idea
  • YES, YES. This is causing havoc in my business right now. The ability to select would be awesome

2 people like this
  • Hi Guys,

When purchasing goods, there is an option to set

Goods Received Not Invoiced Account, (we haven't recieved an invoice but the goods have arrived) we call this shipment clearing account 

Goods Invoiced Not Received Account (we have recieved the invoice but the goods haven't arrived yet) we call this inventory stock in transit..

I don't see why this sort of system coulndn't be implemented for our goods going out, so that between the shipment being sent and the invoice being sent, there is a suspense account of some sort being used to hold the balance until the order is completed

For example, picked not invoiced (the commonly known system), or shipped not invoiced, and on the other side invoiced not shipped or picked. Surely there is a way of doing this with a suspense account so that the sale and the cost of goods relatate once the order is completed.

1 person likes this
  • Correct, the COGS will only post when you mark the order as 'Shipped'. There is no workaround for that. But you can control whether it dates the COGS when the order is shipped, or when the invoice was generated. So if you invoice in August, but ship the order in October, the setting allows you to chose whether the shipping COGS are dated in October or August. But in all cases the COGS won't show up until you actual mark them as shipped in October. 

1 person likes this
  • We use Drop Shipments, so it complicates it a little more. We also end up with COGS captured, but the invoice isn't generated yet. 

1 person likes this
  • Dear Support. Unfortunately your input is not a fix to this problem.

As the thread says above; you have made the necessary journals available to cover off a timing difference between the receipt of goods and the date of the purchase invoice. So you've sorted this issue on the purchasing side of things through the GRNI and GINR accounts.

But no similar effort has been made to ensure that any timing difference between invoice date and shipping date is correctly accounted for on the sales side of things.

Pointing to a report that may give that info is not a great solution because, as you know, most of your clients are using Dear precisely because it's integrated with Xero/Quickbooks. So pointing to a report that would allow the user to manually generate a correcting journal entry to cover off the timing difference is a poor solution.

I understand why you may not want to do this as most customers will invoice on the same day they ship. 

But that certainly isn't the case in all scenarios.

• SALE PROFIT SUMMARY REPORT  contains two options related to COGS. By selecting show All COGS transactions user can get sum of all COGS related to the sales made within specified period.

COGS still will be generated on shipment authorization.  

• Jonathan, they actually fixed this. If you go into Settings, there is one called 'Default Shipment Date'. Set it for 'Date of Invoice' if you prefer that. Unfortunately there is no way to have COGS post if an order is invoiced but not shipped yet (i.e., product is still waiting to ship in your warehouse), but according to our CPA this is correct. You technically should only post the COGS once the product ships out. 

• I am confused as you say they fixed it, but then say that COGS only posts on shipment? 

From a sales reporting perspective is where I am having a bit of an issue. The invoice may be generated, but the COGS is not associated with it, so we see 100% GP.

• I think the suggestion is wrong, DEAR should offer the choice of WHEN to post the revenue account. COGS timing is realistic, its the revenue timing that has to be "slowed" down to match the COGS timing via a suspense account called "Unearned Revenue" or "Pending Sales Orders".

Login or Signup to post a comment

13 people like this idea