search-icon

Planned
Stock Transfer

started a topic over 8 years ago

When we are transferring stock from one location to the other it does not hold any stock in transit. For Example - if we raise a transfer from Melbourne location to Brisbane location and save it, it does not reduce the stock from Melbourne location and show it ‘on order’ for Brisbane. It could take up to a week for the stock to physically arrive in Brisbane. So nowhere in the availably reports can we see if there is any stock arriving into Brisbane during those 7 days. When we ‘complete’ the transfer it reduces the stock in Melbourne and adds it to Brisbane which is ok when the stock has physically arrived in the Brisbane location. Is there a way we could see the stock in transition

9 people like this idea
  • Stock "In Transit" is a feature I'd like to see added to the Stock Transfer capability as well. We ship from our main warehouse on the west coast of the US to several other warehouses across the country. It takes at least one week to ship across the country, during that time that inventory isn't available and we need to see an indication of that.

I don't think using the "On Order" column is correct for this situation as that column is related to new stock on order from the manufacturer/distributor...stock could be "on order" but not "in transit" if it becomes back ordered at the origination.

Ideally, once stock is received at the destination warehouse, it would be removed from "in transit" status. Which brings up another weakness: there's no accounting for the stock at the destination, the current system just assumes it's received as shipped. It's like the stock is selected for transfer, transferred, received and accounted for all in one step.

2 people like this
  • This is now partially implemented, which is great.  What has not been implemented is Neha's original idea to have the in-transit items show in the Product Availability Report.  When in-transit, the stock is decremented from the originating location, but it just disappears from the Product Availability report.  I think it should show as being somewhere.  Personally, I think showing it as "On Order" would be fine.  Currently the "On Order" count shows for Purchases and Production, so it is a natural for In-Transit for the receiving location.  Maybe better would be a "In Transit" column for the Product Availability report, but I think that could lead to other misunderstands.  For example, when you completed a Purchase and it is in-transit to your warehouse, is that "on-order" or "in-transit"?  It might be easier to just lump them all together and then when you click on the hyperlink to the On Order items, you would see the variety of purchases, production, and transfers.  See screenshots below.

Before Transfer

Transfer

In-Transit

1 person likes this
  • Yes agree that this should appear as "on order" against the receiving location until goods received

• To follow up on STAN's point above - Currently, stock transfers "in transit" ('send stock' option) are categorized as ON ORDER, which is the same status given to PO stock in manufacturing.

This can cause confusion since its hard to distinguish between what's actually inbound (and owned) and stock that requires payment to be received (not owned)

Making matters worse, there is no report for stock transfers at the moment that would help distinguising ON ORDER for transfers, and ON ORDER for PO orders.

Can you please implement a stock transfer report to focus on the differences between the two ? Or else, just simply split the column ON ORDER between 

ON ORDER - Transfer vs 

ON ORDER - POs

3 people like this
  • Hi Kurt, 

Following from your last response, we are in the process of looking at developing your requirement, and I have few queries regarding your requirement which I need to clarify. Could you provide your feedback on the below queries please: 

1. Is the below understanding correct: 

-  ON ORDER - Transfer - Is this inbound (and owned) stock? 

-  ON ORDER - POs - Is this the stock which require payment to be made (not owned) when stock is to be received? 

2. Will the user be required to select between ON ORDER - Transfer and ON ORDER - POs at the time 'Send stock' button is clicked? These 2 options will only keep track of the stock count. 

3. Are there any other factors which could differentiate between the options ON ORDER - Transfer and  ON ORDER - POs?

4. Which additional fields would be required in the Stock transfer On Order report (Transfer vs. PO) other than these stock counts? 

Best Regards,

Maheshi

• I think this thread is touching on an issue I have which is reconciling my accounting software with Dear reporting.  Any items that are in transit between warehouses sits in the stock in transit account on the balance sheet, but there is no report to validate those items that are in transit on a given day.  Whilst looking at the product availability may allow you to figure it out on a "right now" basis but does not allow you to reconcile on any given day retrospectively (which is end of every month/quarter/year at a minimum) without starting to pull apart the transaction details in the balance sheet account. 

Surely it would not be hard to generate a report that shows Stock that is in transit between warehouses on a given day.  Please sort this asap. 

• DEAR now has an In-Transit column to represent stock in a transfer order that has been sent but not yet received. The issue is that the same stock in the same transfer order also shows as On Order in the Product Availability report. When a transfer order is in the In Transit status, the stock should not still show in the On Order status on the Product Availability report.

Login or Signup to post a comment

9 people like this idea