search-icon

Planned
Global Search & Quick Links

started a topic over 8 years ago

As things stand, to move around the system quickly takes quite a few clicks and is not very user friendly. There is a quick menu but it's well hidden on the dashboard.

I propose implementing a Global Search to be able to quickly find customers, suppliers, sales orders, purchase orders and inventory items. Also a quick menu available on every page to be able to quickly create sales orders, purchase orders, customers and suppliers.

24 people like this idea
  •  I agree. A global search would be fantastic. A search box sitting on every page where I could just write in a customer name, email address, invoice number, product sku (for example). It would make navigating the system much faster.

• Yes please! This will be very useful!

• Agreed.  Global search would be great for many customers.

• Agreed!!

• This is a great idea, and could follow the global search feature in the way that Xero uses it.

• Status changed to: Planned

Great!!

4 people like this
  • Yes! Can't wait for this feature!!

1 person likes this
  • Oh good! 3 years later ;)
  • Agreed - Also same for the DEAR POS. Seems like when searching to add a client to a sales that it is not searching the Firstname part of the part of the name field.

1 person likes this
  • Made another post about this. The time savings would be huge. There were a lot of things I didn't like about NetSuite / SAP B1, but I've got to hand it to them. There global searches are excellent for find record by our reference number, supplier/customer reference number. 

Now all we need is a button a Drop Ship PO to link to the Sales Order, without having to look at the Log. Come on guys - it's one button :-)

• Hi - Any status update on this feature? I also observed that a global search to quickly find a customer or an order would very much improve the user experience. At the moment navigation requires quite a few clicks to get to where one needs to be. 

1 person likes this
  • Hi all

This sounds like a good idea in general but we get a problem when we start thinking of practical implementation. If we have single field and users can input anything they want what should system be looking for ? E.g. user needs to find SKU and inputs '123456' system will have to check :

1. Product SKU/supplier SKU/barcode/tag/additional parameters

2. Reference number on sale

3. Invoice/order/quote number

4. Part of the phone, email or address

5. Assembly number

6. Amount on the invoice/order/quote

7. Quantity of the product

8. Supplier/customer name

9. Products in sales and purchases

10. Fill free to add to the list

Now questions for you

Q1. What do we show on the screen if systems finds any combination of data above ?

Q2. It may take longer to look up the search in all tables in database compare to the search in individual product table. Are you ready to wait ?

Please provide your thoughts and suggestions

Regards

DEAR Team

• Hi DEAR Team and others

I agree that you will need to choose the main kinds of transactions or data that are included in a search result. One of the key things that you identified is speed of processing in your backend, and as you rightly asked "are you ready to wait"?

Xero has a solution that is both extremely quick (less than 1 second processing time) and delivers various types of transactions. For those of you who have a Xero subscription, it is the magnifying glass icon top right of the screen. For example in this test company I used in the image attached I searched simply for the letters "am". You can see that Xero delivered headers above each of the results (in this case CONTACTS, BILLS, INVOICES, BANK TRANSACTIONS). It lists the results related to my search under each of these headings. From there I can click on any one that i want to see and it opens the actual transaction record on the screen.

I don't know if your servers have the processing power to deliver results this quickly, but perhaps you could reach out to the Xero dev team and ask them how they have managed to achieve this.

Could this work?

1 person likes this
  • Hi, I concur with the above. Love the global search in Xero and it really works. Another application that delivers a fast result across a vast database and spans multiple record types in Accelo. See screenshot, it uses an icon to identify the record type and a breadcrumb menu underneath. 

You can start by including the most frequently used items/indexed fields: 

e.g. 

1) Customer & Supplier name

2) SKU & product name

3) Document number

i.e. exclude searching  line items, but quickly jump into the master data record, or document. 

the order displayed in case of multiple matches can be in sequenced in most recently edited first. 

and even if its a bit slower or returns only the top 10 entries, the users would still be able to fall back to the sectional search, one would not eliminate the other. 

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment

24 people like this idea