Start a new topic

Change invoice number

Some times, there is the need to change the invoice number. For example today, I changed the numbering of the invoices but somehow the problem was that it was no applied and the system generated an invoice with wrong number. Now I can not get back and undo it.

4 people like this idea

I agree. Got an issue where Dear and Xero do not tie up. I have already sent the invoice to the customer from Xero so want to use that invoice number.

I have an issue where invoices go when goods arrive, it would be handy to be able to confirm the invoice number being issued rather than only autogenerate.

I would like this as well.

We have sent the invoices out to the customer from Xero but it was not imported into Xero.

@Le-man Nebby:

In General Settings scroll down to Sale process customisation

The first dropdown is Assign invoice number

If you select "On Sale Creation" then your Sales Order number and your Invoice number will be the same and you'll thus know what the invoice number will be when an invoice is generated.

@Tristan Thomas

said 2 months ago

@Le-man Nebby:

In General Settings scroll down to Sale process customisation

The first dropdown is Assign invoice number

If you select "On Sale Creation" then your Sales Order number and your Invoice number will be the same and you'll thus know what the invoice number will be when an invoice is generated.

Is this still the case?

We are brand new users of Dear, and we're finding that the Invoice number is different from the Sales Order number, and we need them to both be the same

Daniel

There are two things you need to do on the General Settings page:  First make sure the Assign invoice number is set to On sale creation

Second, scroll down the page and:  Set your Sale Order Number Format and Invoice Number Format - both of these numbers need to be the same.  

From now on all SO and Invoices numbers will be the same.  There is no way to back-date existing SO or Invoice numbers. 

Screenshots of both attached.

Thanks Tristan that's a great help

I've made those changes and I can see it working now.

Now I have the problem whereby if i create 2 invoices from one sales order, it then 'steals' the next number, completely unsyncing SO & INV numbers again..

Do you know if there is the option to fix this so the main SO & INV numbers stay in sync... maybe with suffixes?

Hmm, I can't see any way to do what you want if you're issuing multiple invoices for one SO.  All I can suggest is splitting any un-shipped (and presumably un-invoiced) products to a new SO and then only issue one invoice for every SO.

What would be nice here is still keeping the SO number and invoice number the same but maybe for additional invoices do a - with additional number. Like this... SO 1005 Inv 1005 Second inv 1005-2 Third invoice 1005-3 And so on. This way is never messes up the overall number system.

1 person likes this

@Whoopsie Daisy, yes that's exactly what we need

Login or Signup to post a comment