search-icon

Implemented
Multiple Units of Measure

started a topic almost 9 years ago

As a wholesaler, we buy and sell based items on unit prices, but for shipping we can only buy and sell shippable quantities based on how many units go in a box, or case-pack. So if 10 pans fit in a box, we can only buy and sell in multiples of 10. But we don't negotiate buying or selling prices based on total price of the case, that is done on a unit basis. 

Having multiple units of measure, so we can keep track of items, dozens, cases, and pallets all for the same item would greatly aid our ability to sell in quantities that are shippable and keep inventory numbers correctly in check. 

23 people like this idea
  • You can use SAP Business one ERP, Smart companies will always do their best to improve customer retention rates if they want to remain efficient and continue growing consistently year to year. ERP software is central to improving customer retention rates. It’s for that reason that the ERP market size is expected to exceed $49.5 billion by 2024.

• Hi DEAR Support,

When this feature will be available?

It's really surprising for a inventory ERP that you haven’t this feature, 

An answer will be highly appreciated

Thanks

• Hi DEAR Support,

Can we ask for update on Multiple Units of Measure please? 
    Thank you.

• A few additional requirements and thoughts:

• CSV import/export similar to the way the Bill Of Materials import/export works.
    • Selection of unit being used in all line item use of products: purchase, BOM, sale
    • For Purchase and Production, there could be a single SKU that converts based on conversion specified.
    • For Sale of products, it seems that there would need to be separate SKUs when sold in different units to facilitate pricing by different units. Also, the separate SKUs for sale would be necessary for eCommerce integration.  Right?
    • In my experience, the big need is for unit conversion of the Purchase unit to then be used for Production or Sale.   So long as the Purchase unit is easily convertible to multiple other units, then I think it would satisfy most (all?) of the needs I have seen.  Caveat: I have not completely analyzed this feature.  I just know that building unit conversions using Disassembly works but is a one way (and only one way) conversion and is not flexible, so I am looking forward to this feature being implemented.

• Another thing to consider with this is also adding a barcode for each UOM. Often we have a barcode for the case, pack and each. So if each unit of measure had a barcode when receiving is done the case would be scanned and know how many have been received. This would make receiving a faster process.

• Awesome stuff thanks DEAR

• Glad to see this feature is planned and I would like to second Stan's suggestions.
  • Another example that I run into often with specialty food businesses (AKA food manufacturers) is buying ingredients in bulk units such as cases, gallons, barrels, etc. while needing the ingredients in production units, such as grams or lbs.  

Currently, many of these businesses use an "auto-disassembly" to do a unit conversion from the purchase unit (e.g, gallons) to the production unit (e.g., grams), which works for purposes of production but definitely has some drawbacks.  The drawbacks include low inventory reporting needs to be done in the production unit (e.g., grams) which is often not very intuitive and does not allow for creating purchase orders in the purchase unit.  Another drawback with the disassembly solution for unit conversion is that DEAR does not currently automatically copy the batch number from the parent unit to the disassembled unit, thereby losing the batch number uniformity.  Best practice in food traceability is to keep the lot number (batch number) the same for ingredients at all times.  It is possible with the disassembly to copy the batch number from the parent to the child, but using the auto-disassembly, it means going to the disassembly, undo'ing it, and then copying the batch number and expiry date to the "result" product(s)

So, when considering this new feature, please allow for 

• user designed unit conversions for any given product from one unit to another. 
    • purchasing in one unit and use of the same product in production in a converted unit
    • marking unit(s) to be used for purchasing
    • marking unit(s) to be used for production
    • marking unit(s) to be used for sales
    • marking unit(s) to be used for low stock reporting (same as purchasing unit?)
    • allowing for stock counts (stock adjustments and stocktakes) in a variety of units, for example being able to count 5 cases of given product plus 5 loose bottles.
    • maintenance of the batch number and expiry date no matter which unit

One possible design of this might be to have a Units tab for a product, with a table which defines the unit conversions.  This table would have a set of quantity and unit on one side with an equal sign and a quantity and unit on the other side.  For example, 1 kg = 1000 grams.  Another example 1 lbs = 453.592 grams.  I personally do not think you need to pre-define the conversions as leaving it to individuals to define will allow for flexibility and creativity.  The unit labels (lbs, kg, cases, gallons, each, etc.) would still be defined b the individual subscription.

2 people like this
  • "Apologies but we cannot provide an status update on this one. Currently our focus is to develop the future enhancement for B2B and POS. I also advise product team about it and if ever this will be considered status will be changed to Planned." 

• I've requested an update from DEAR again on this on a closed ticket. If I get a yes/no/maybe on specc'ing this functionality, and rough timescales, I'll let you all know - it is a basic part of an inventory system with a lot of requests here so I'd be surprised if they decline.

1 person likes this
  • Another example where this is needed is where bulk purchase orders are broken up for resale e.g.

We may purchase a Roll of wire and sell it per metre. But currently DEAR cannot handle this situation.

1 person likes this
  • Multi UOM is a much needed feature. Here are some ideas on how it could be implemented.

Each UOM should have a price tied to it.

'Volume' discounts are tied to UOM or number of UOM.

Price rules around UOM.

Multi buy UOM and Multi sell UOM. For example you buy by the pallet and sell by the case.

2 people like this
  • This would be of great help and could be incorporated into a minimum order requirement per item.

• I won't sign up for the service until this feature is available.

Login or Signup to post a comment

23 people like this idea