search-icon

Implemented
Need a way to specify Ship-To Contact Name, Ship-To Company, and Ship-To Address

started a topic over 9 years ago

As DEAR stands right now, a given customer may have multiple Ship-To Addresses, but it seems that this is assuming a scenario where the customer has multiple facilities to which items may shipped.

A different scenario, is customers who are purchasing something, such as a gift, which is to be shipped to someone else, meaning it is a different name, different company (if any), as well as a different address than the customer’s (company name, contact name, and billing address).

I am working with a client, FernCreek Confections, on this very issue. We have tried to create a workaround for this, but it is not acceptable. We have tried adding an additional contact name as a sort of “sub-customer” and separately an additional shipping address for the “sub-customer”, but then when we send it to ShipStation, the customer company name still appears on the shipping label. For example, let’s say BigFirm calls to order 10 chocolate bars for their client Jack Smith. In DEAR, the customer is company=BigFirm, Contact=John Doe, Billing Address=123 Main Street, Anytown, MA 02543. BigFirm would like to send the order Jack Smith, 444 Johnson Road, Newtown, PA 23044. The label is ShipStation appears as: 
Jack Smith 
BigFirm 
444 Johnson Road 
Newtown, PA 23044

The address is correct except for adding the BigFirm part.

Further, though, the DEAR interface does not effectively support shipping to Jack Smith. The DEAR user need to select Jack Smith as the contact and then separately need to select Jack Smith’s address for the Shipping Address. The user needs to somehow know what Jack Smith’s address to make this work. This is not an effective solution for this sort of sales processing.

In order to support this sort of “gift” ordering, there needs to be a way to specify, together (i.e, they are directly connected in database), the Ship-To Name, Ship-To Company, and Ship-To Address for customers.

Is there any way to support this with the current implementation of DEAR? 
How does DEAR support gift order that come over from Shopify?

FernCreek Confections needs this functionality. They have many gifts orders so they must have a way to do this. They have put a big investment into getting up on DEAR and now are stuck not being able to process orders through DEAR.

If implementing this as a new feature, consider adding additional Ship-To information such as phone number and email address.

14 people like this idea
  • Hey guys, 

Thanks for starting on this one. I have just noticed a further change to the shipping details and was keen to get 2 more crucial bits of information added . The shipping contact is still incomplete, it needs a phone number and email address to ensure the courier has all the info they need to deliver and the customer gets the tracking email. (this is often not the billing contact details and the 3PL puts the billiing email into the .csv)

• Been a few years but we still need a shipping email and phone number so we can relay tracking emails and provide delivery contact number for the couriers. 

Also need the "Different company" Fields indexed so they can be searched.

• Hey guys, I can see a great opportunity to improve the ship to functionality. 

The main things that have me stuck are:

• Shipping email - need tracking details to go to recipient, not the accounts department
    • Shipping phone - as above the recipient rather than accounts department should get any courier phone updates
    • Shipping contact - unless you use the "ship to a different company" there is no option to specify this person. 
    • Cloning an order with a "different company" looses this information
    • "Different company" data is not indexed or searchable, this was such a great feature of DEAR so it'd be great to have all shipping info indexed 
    Are these things troubling other people? 
    Be great to get these on the roadmap. 

• Great! Thanks for adding the search.

I have to agree with David that it needs to include the Ship To Email and Phone number.

• Cheers Marvin, 

Could I please put in a request for shipping Email and Shipping Phone number (shipping contact person) for all types (normal, different shipping company) that will output the shipping details into the 3PL export csv.

The billing contact is the right person to receive the invoice but the tracking information (and phone number to help the couriers successfully deliver) should be going to the person receiving the goods. 

E.g we Sell products to the University of Auckland who have 1000's of staff and students. The accounts person receives the invoice but they don't want to receive tracking updates for every item ordered. 

• Great!  Thanks!

• We have improved Ship To Different option to allow searching and selecting addresses for existing customers.

3 people like this
  • Hey Mike, 

I can see that you've updated the 3PL export .csv. Cheers for getting that sorted!

I

Is it possible to get a shipping email address field added in? We can then update the customer with tracking link via email. 

Then the billing email can relate to invoices and the shipping email relate to tracking updates. 

• Cheers Mike, 

Will get our .docx document person to give this a go. 

Do you know if it's possible to utilize the IF function to hide the discount field if no discount is applied to a product? e.g IF discount = 0% hide that column (or even just the word "discount") I understand you could create another invoice document but this is open to human error. 

Be great to hide this for people paying full retail or they will wonder why they didn't get a discount. 

Thanks for all the improvements lately, really growing into DEAR

• Hi David & Robert,

When you include the mail merge  ShipToDifferentContact + ShipToDifferentCompany fields you can use the IF function in your template. So if the ship to different company is not used then original customer shipping info will be used.

Please see attached template.

Thanks

docx
    (64.8 KB)
  • Just so you're aware we do quite a few finance invoices where it is billed to the finance company then shipped to the customer... So hence why we need to select from our existing customers.

Have a look at MYOB, the most used accounting software in australia, you are able to ship to a customer card OR type it manually.

• I'm having the same problem as David, when printing the invoice the ship to name is the same.

Also why can't I select a customer from my existing without typing it manually? I thought this is what you were implementing?

• Cheers Mike, 

Really appreciate the swift responses on the forum and we've also been impressed with the support via facebook messenger.

What is our best way to set up the invoice to take advantage of this? Will we need two invoice templates? (one for normal sale, one for "ship to different" customer sale)

If possible could we use the ShipToDifferentContact + ShipToDifferentCompany fields and then if there is no data available then the normal shipping company/contact details are substituted? 

We are jtrying to minimize the need to create multiple templates and streamline operations. 

1 person likes this
  • Hi David,

Thanks for pointing this out, yesterday we introduced 2 new mailmerge fields:

ShipToDifferentContact

ShipToDifferentCompany

They will only have data if the ship to different company option is ticked off.

Cheers

• Hey Mike, 

We are using the simple sale.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment

14 people like this idea